Starting my weight loss journey today...

Congrats to those who are doing such a great job. I'm at a plateau right now, I think. I'll have to try even harder to keep the momentum going.

I've been sick too (strep), so while I didn't eat very much, I did eat some of the wrong things. I really didn't feel like cooking. Now that I'm on the upswing, back to cooking healthier meals!

I have been on a diet for the past 3 weeks. It is working, but I want to switch to Weight Watchers, which would be a little more freeing. There is a lot of cooking involved in this, and even though I enjoy it, I don't like to feel chained to the kitchen, also none of their maintenance plans include hamburgers or pizza. That just isn't realistic! I mean...am I never going to eat a hamburger? I think not!

I have been on a diet for the past 3 weeks. It is working, but I want to switch to Weight Watchers, which would be a little more freeing. There is a lot of cooking involved in this, and even though I enjoy it, I don't like to feel chained to the kitchen, also none of their maintenance plans include hamburgers or pizza. That just isn't realistic! I mean...am I never going to eat a hamburger? I think not!

Right? Yeah, you can't just totally deprive yourself of everything you like, or it's never going to work.

I think the best way to "diet," is to change the way you eat overall. I don't think going on a diet and then off is the best choice. At least, it isn't for me. Instead, I'm eating healthier overall. If I really want something, am craving it, I'm going to have it. The thing is that now I just have a little bit to kill the craving, and I'm good. I have a bite of chocolate instead of a whole candy bar. I don't need to eat cheeseburgers for lunch every day, but I can have one today if that's what I really want. Next meal, back to healthier choices.

I find that cooking for myself makes a huge difference. I know exactly what's in the foods I eat, and I can prepare proper portion sizes.

Yout have to pick a way of eating that you know is realistic for you. If you feel deprived then you are not going good to stick with it. If I want it is eat it. I just work it into my calorie intake for the day. Everything in moderation. As of this morning I am down 20 lbs.

biggest looser turkey chili.

Ingredients
  • 2 pounds ground turkey, extra lean or 1.5 pounds leftover cooked turkey or chicken, chopped
  • 3 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 2 large onions, diced
  • 4 large celery stalks, chopped
  • 3 large bell peppers, chopped
  • 14 ounce can red kidney beans, drained & rinsed
  • 14 ounce can any white beans, drained & rinsed
  • 28 ounce can tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes
  • 2 cups water or low sodium chicken broth
  • 1 Tablespoon chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced or to taste
  • 1 Tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 Tablespoon taco seasoning, all natural
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • Cooking spray (I use Misto)
Steps
  1. Preheat large non-stick skillet on high heat and add ground turkey. Cook until brown, stirring and breaking into small pieces with spatula, occasionally. Transfer to a large crockpot. If using leftover cooked turkey, skip the browning step.
  2. Return skillet to medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Add garlic, onion, celery, bell peppers and saute for 5 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to a slow cooker.
  3. Add remaining ingredients to slow cooker, cover and cook 8 hours on Low or 4 hours on High. Reduce cooking time to 5 hours on Low and 3 hours on High, if using cooked turkey. Serve hot. Chili tastes even better the next day. This chili is mild enough for the kids. Add more heat with extra chili powder, Taco seasoning, diced green chiles or jalapenos.
Notes
  • Notes: Storage Instructions: Refrigerate covered for up to 5 days. Freeze in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
  • Nutritional Info
  • Servings Per Recipe: 8
  • Amount Per Serving = 1.5 cup:
  • Calories: 271.6
  • Total Fat: 2.0 g
  • Cholesterol: 45.0 mg
  • Sodium: 673.0 mg
  • Total Carbs: 33.8 g
  • Dietary Fiber: 8.0 g
  • Protein: 33.8 g
  • WW Points+: 6

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the recipe @Chef00. Chili is a favorite at our house. This sounds great and will be perfect.
I think I am going to make some up this weekend! :)

It has been a month for me since I posted my intentions to limit my intake of sugar. I have not been doing a good job due to stress to reduce my sugar intake but a broken oven is helping a lot since I baked all of my snacks. No oven no snacks. I have reduced my weight 2lbs and lots more to go.

Thanks for the recipe @Chef00. Chili is a favorite at our house. This sounds great and will be perfect.
I think I am going to make some up this weekend! :)
Nice! You won't be sorry! and it freezes beautifully! It's nice to have a couple of bowls in the freezer.

Nice! You won't be sorry! and it freezes beautifully! It's nice to have a couple of bowls in the freezer.

It does sound like a nice recipe. Is there any reason why you couldn't replace white beans with black beans? I prefer the latter.

I was thinking that freezing this in portion size containers would be perfect. Thanks for the recipe and for letting us know that it freezes well.

It does sound like a nice recipe. Is there any reason why you couldn't replace white beans with black beans? I prefer the latter.

I was thinking that freezing this in portion size containers would be perfect. Thanks for the recipe and for letting us know that it freezes well.

I think black beans would be just fine! No reason not to use them if that's what you like.

I made it yesterday and it is so good! I am glad that I decided to make it. I have some for my lunch today. I did freeze a few bowls to enjoy another time. I will definitely be using this recipe from now on when I make chili! :)

I made it yesterday and it is so good! I am glad that I decided to make it. I have some for my lunch today. I did freeze a few bowls to enjoy another time. I will definitely be using this recipe from now on when I make chili! :)

Awesome! so glad it worked out for you!

Reactions: L_B
I love the fact you are going to do this but I really think that your reason is not good at all. Summer is not a good reason forgetting slimmer. Your health on the other hand is a real reason. I hope you will manage to control the balance of calories and that you will stay fit even during other seasons. Loosing weight is very simple actually. You need to count calories and you will not have any problems. Just make sure that you burn at least 500 calories more than you take during one day. Each week you will notice a difference and mind that number of kilos is not always important. It is all about your look because muscles are 'heavier' than fat.

I love the fact you are going to do this but I really think that your reason is not good at all. Summer is not a good reason forgetting slimmer. Your health on the other hand is a real reason. I hope you will manage to control the balance of calories and that you will stay fit even during other seasons. Loosing weight is very simple actually. You need to count calories and you will not have any problems. Just make sure that you burn at least 500 calories more than you take during one day. Each week you will notice a difference and mind that number of kilos is not always important. It is all about your look because muscles are 'heavier' than fat.
Thanks and I am well aware of that. I just stated it as summer is the next season and I would like to feel more confident when I go to the beach or wearing summer clothing since they are more revealing then clothes you where other seasons. I am not just going to lose weight just for the summer. I am doing it for my health and to feel better about myself. I want to feel confident and I want to like the person that I see when I look in the mirror. I want to healthy and fit. I do have a few health issues that concern me.

A few years ago I joined Weight Watchers and lost 42 pounds. I was so proud, I did it for myself but also to get my parents off my back. I am overweight but even if I wasn't, somehow my parents would still say I need to lose it. I don't know what it is with them, they're generally loving and caring but when it comes to physical appearance, if you're not skinny it's like they can't stand it. They'll never say it to your face, they wait until you're on the phone and then "casually" mention it. Example: If I'm talking to my mother on the phone and say I need to get groceries her response would be to make sure I don't get junk food because she noticed I was getting chunky. Or the time I was in Costco with them and my mother pointed out cookies to my father. They thought I was too far away to hear them but my fathers response was "No, we shouldn't bring them in her house, she doesn't need them". Nice right?

All that to say, I got pregnant after I lost that weight and have attempted to lose it again but I never seem to get the motivation. I always put it off to next Monday or the next.

Back
Top Bottom