Starting my weight loss journey today...

What a coincidence. I am once again mired in obesity. My usual 160 pounds is now hovering at 168 in the scale and my husband had called my attention. I just had dinner of fried chicken drumstick, 1 piece only, and fried buttered broccoli. It is nutritious and filling although it seems that I want some more. I have stopped eating rice for meals and in the morning what I eat is the taho - a soft version of bean curd that is mixed with syrup and sago. So far I have lost 2 pounds in a week's time so I am down to 166 and hoping to shed off the 6 pounds in a week or two.

A few years ago I joined Weight Watchers and lost 42 pounds. I was so proud, I did it for myself but also to get my parents off my back. I am overweight but even if I wasn't, somehow my parents would still say I need to lose it. I don't know what it is with them, they're generally loving and caring but when it comes to physical appearance, if you're not skinny it's like they can't stand it. They'll never say it to your face, they wait until you're on the phone and then "casually" mention it. Example: If I'm talking to my mother on the phone and say I need to get groceries her response would be to make sure I don't get junk food because she noticed I was getting chunky. Or the time I was in Costco with them and my mother pointed out cookies to my father. They thought I was too far away to hear them but my fathers response was "No, we shouldn't bring them in her house, she doesn't need them". Nice right?

All that to say, I got pregnant after I lost that weight and have attempted to lose it again but I never seem to get the motivation. I always put it off to next Monday or the next.

Man! that is Awful! I am so sorry! my parents and brothers were like that to my sister she was never good enough cause she was heavy. she still (at 60 years old) carries that pressure and feeling of not being good enough. Let me tell you. You are Good enough! You need to Love you! I know it's hard but confront them and tell them how they made you feel all these years. It doesn't help you lose the weight or even be motivated to lose the weight. It makes you want to self medicate with food to make the emotional pain go away! You're alright! Your kids need you and you need to show them how strong you need to be to get by in this world, sometimes it's something or someone other than ourselves that motivates us to do some of the things we need to do. Good Luck! and Don't feel bad about having extra weight just make a conscious choice to either do something about it or Not. that is totally your choice unless the Dr. is harping at ya too.

try to take the foods you love and lighten them up? also another trick is to add just a small amount of apple juice 16oz water 1 to 2 tablespoons of apple juice. this will make you want to drink it more and helps keep your metabolism up just a bit. just try to make sure it's not heavily sugared juice. I'll quit. sorry kind of went off.

@Chef00 Thank you for the kind words. And you're right I do need to love me. Unfortunately I don't think they'll change, they were/are the same way with my brother. They say they "encourage" him to lose weight but I've heard their encouragement and it's definitely not. They should encourage for the right reasons but they don't, for them it's all about physical appearance and not the health benefits of losing weight. They're not as bad as they used to be because at one point I said something albeit indirectly. I have a cousin who is overweight as well and one day they were talking about how beautiful she is (which is very true) but it's a shame she's so fat. I sort of went off saying it's no surprise people have eating disorders because of people like them who put other people down. That sort of shut them up a bit, not completely but enough.

Brilliant. I think you and @winterybella make a good team for supporting each other in weight loss. I agree about carbs. I'd choose them over fat any day. But that's not such a bad thing as you can eat carbs without the calories going through the roof. Just don't add fats to the carbs!

A medium sized baked potato is about 160 cals. Add butter or cheese on top and you could quite easily double or treble the cals. Add low fat yoghurt dressing (no oil, just mix a tsp dijon mustard and a tbsp of plain low fat yoghurt, salt and pepper to taste). Mix some cooked prawns into the yoghurt dressing (about 40g ) and pile on top of the baked potato. This should come in under 200 calories!
Winterybellla has stayed away from the thread for so long and Winterybella is not doing so well. I traveled recently and I think I ate too much, too late and all that not so good stuff. I am afraid to step on the scale. Anyway, yesterday I decided AGAIN I have to do someone about this "GOODYEAR" tire so I started dancing at work whenever the store was empty. I feel terrible I am not consistent but I am not giving up. I used to be a have decent athlete back in the day, now I want a few yards and I am puffing and panting. Not great for the team @L_B.

Winterybellla has stayed away from the thread for so long and Winterybella is not doing so well. I traveled recently and I think I ate too much, too late and all that not so good stuff. I am afraid to step on the scale. Anyway, yesterday I decided AGAIN I have to do someone about this "GOODYEAR" tire so I started dancing at work whenever the store was empty. I feel terrible I am not consistent but I am not giving up. I used to be a have decent athlete back in the day, now I want a few yards and I am puffing and panting. Not great for the team @L_B.

A little at a time. It is important that you never give up and just keeping trying. We will do it! I find once you start seeing results it keeps you motivated. I think it is great that you dance at work when the store is empty. I have my own office at work and I break into dance often when nobody is around! :)

@Autumn_Hearthwitch That is so hurtful for your parents to be that way with you. They are only making things worse by being that way. It is much easier to lose weight when you are doing it for yourself. You don't need that negative talk and put downs. That is cruel.

@L_B I completely agree. It used to really get to me and I think, made it much worse. Nowadays if a comment is made or whatnot I just ignore it. There's no point in letting it get to me, they won't change but I can change my attitude and reaction to it. Yes, I can stand to lose some weight, but I will do it on my own terms and not for anyone but myself. The good news is I started yoga again and I forgot how much I loved it. I've only done it twice this past week but it is a start and I'm happy to have done it.

Reactions: L_B
Well today is the day I start trying to get some of this weight off before summer arrives.
I was reminded by somebody yesterday about how fat I am. It hurt at first but then I decided to use that negative comment to inspire me. I am looking for some ideas for some healthy low cal meals. What is your favorite go to meal when you are trying to lose weight?

Well I wish you much success on your weight loss journey. I do want to lose weight too, but have not started yet. I hope that you keep us posted on how you are doing. Who knows, I may even join you. When I have lost weight in the past, I loss pretty good by eating a lot of veggies, fruit and to feel full I would bake potatoes. I did drink a lot of water and for snacks I would eat nuts or mix fruit/nuts. Are you exercising during this time? I did workout, but I did things very slowly and had to build myself up. Now I need to start all over again.

Well I wish you much success on your weight loss journey. I do want to lose weight too, but have not started yet. I hope that you keep us posted on how you are doing. Who knows, I may even join you. When I have lost weight in the past, I loss pretty good by eating a lot of veggies, fruit and to feel full I would bake potatoes. I did drink a lot of water and for snacks I would eat nuts or mix fruit/nuts. Are you exercising during this time? I did workout, but I did things very slowly and had to build myself up. Now I need to start all over again.

I do a lot of walking and hiking. I do other exercise too but walking is my thing. I enjoy it so much and now that the weather is nicer I can go out more. I also enjoying swimming. I have been doing well so far. I have been off a bit the past few days but I am getting back at it today. I just make healthy food choices and walk and I am seeing the results. My clothes are getting loser and I feel more energized.

@Autumn_Hearthwitch Great at getting back at yoga. I love yoga. Haven't done it in years but I think I will get back at it.

@L_B Funny you should mention hiking. I recently (finally) watched Wild and suddenly had the crazy idea that I love hiking and I want to do it now! I get slightly winded going up the stairs so I think I'll stick with yoga for now and move my way up to hiking. I've also already decided what I'm getting myself, my husband and my son for Christmas....snowshoes! It would be great exercise and it would get all of us outside on a nice winter's day, otherwise we tend to stay inside way too much in the winter.

I weighed in this morning. I've now lost 9.2kg since the beginning of the year. that's 20.3lbs, nearly 1.5 stone.
I did another weigh in yesterday because before long the scales will be packed up by the international removal company and I won't have access to them for the best part of 3 months whilst out kit is shipped to Australia.
I started off at 78kg at the beginning of the year. Had a slight blip during the 3 weeks I was ill and weighed in yesterday at 66.7kg. So I've lost 11.3kg, almost 25 lbs! Looking at my size back when my back went (63kg back in Nov 2014) and my size now I can see that there are loads of things indicating I'll need to drop down to around 60kg out less to get back to the slimness I was then. Little things like the fact that at 67kg I'm still in size 12 jeans but then at 63kg I was in size 8. Bra size is similar, currently I need a UK 38 band size but then I needed a UK size 34, so instead of aiming for 63kg I have talked it through with my husband and I'll aim for 60kg instead, which is roughly 9½ stone. I'll have to monitor it with measurements around hip, waist, thigh and under bust though with us moving house internationally.

Thanks and I am well aware of that. I just stated it as summer is the next season and I would like to feel more confident when I go to the beach or wearing summer clothing since they are more revealing then clothes you where other seasons. I am not just going to lose weight just for the summer. I am doing it for my health and to feel better about myself. I want to feel confident and I want to like the person that I see when I look in the mirror. I want to healthy and fit. I do have a few health issues that concern me.
I am sorry if I sounded judgemental about this. I understand what you are saying. I was talking more about global problem and stereotypes, idols and celebs that are setting the bar way to high when it comes to the looks. You know what I'm saying. I mean, I see these girls copying some half retarded so called celebs like Kardashians and Hiltons and in my country as well. And I wanted to say that we shouldn't be ashamed of our bodies. It is not the most important thing. We need to be healthy and that means no fat around the belly and stuff like that. However, if you are trying to impress somebody and make them like you for the body only that is just wrong and those people should not have you in their life. I am not referring to you but I speak more generally. The system of values is messed up and we need to stay focused.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought it was about time that this thread has another update for those struggling to carry on with their New Year's resolution or just a general weight loss program. I'm one of those that when I put my mind to it carries on so...

I started the year at 78kg. My original goal had been a minimum of 13kg lost, ideally 15kg and a maximum of 18kg lost. I've had to revise that because my body isn't as fit as it used to be and I'm clearly going to need to weigh less than I used to to get back into the clothes I wore before my back went 18 months ago when I weighed 63kg (9 stone 13lbs).

So my goal has become a minimum of 18kg lost to get down to 60kg which is 9½ stone. If I can lose more, fine but... 18kg is just shy of 40lbs in old money.

Well my weigh in this morning had me at 66.3kg (10½ stone or 147 lbs) so I'm ⅔rds of the way there with almost 12kg (26½ lbs) lost.

The next few weeks are going to be challenging though because of us leaving the UK in 5 days time to go and live in a country I know very little about and have never visited, but that's part of the fun!

Hi all :wave:

How is everyone doing today?

On September 6th 2014 my mother passed away after being poorly for quite some time, I turned to comfort eating and drinking more often, not heavy, just more regularly. I have struggled to stop and am slowly getting there. I decided this year I would cut the out the c**p from my diet and take more exercise. Loose weight and feel better, unfortunately at the end of February I had flu/virus/bug whatever it was and it flattened me for over a week and lingered for many more which left me very drained, I got over it eventually but the weather since has been pretty lousy at times so outdoor activities have not been possible. The weather cheered up so I planned to get out there, last Wednesday I developed an ear infection which left me feverish and even more lethargic so still no exercise. Finding motivation is hard, food tastes really nice but I am over weight and feel tired and lethargic all the time and am stuck in a rut. We go on holiday in August and I need to buy a few bits but I don't want to buy a bigger size.

Maybe we should have big online group hug to support each other and help each other with motivation.

:hug:

I thought it was about time that this thread has another update for those struggling to carry on with their New Year's resolution or just a general weight loss program. I'm one of those that when I put my mind to it carries on so...

I started the year at 78kg. My original goal had been a minimum of 13kg lost, ideally 15kg and a maximum of 18kg lost. I've had to revise that because my body isn't as fit as it used to be and I'm clearly going to need to weigh less than I used to to get back into the clothes I wore before my back went 18 months ago when I weighed 63kg (9 stone 13lbs).

So my goal has become a minimum of 18kg lost to get down to 60kg which is 9½ stone. If I can lose more, fine but... 18kg is just shy of 40lbs in old money.

Well my weigh in this morning had me at 66.3kg (10½ stone or 147 lbs) so I'm ⅔rds of the way there with almost 12kg (26½ lbs) lost.

The next few weeks are going to be challenging though because of us leaving the UK in 5 days time to go and live in a country I know very little about and have never visited, but that's part of the fun!
They don't weigh the passengers yet. I know Michael O'Leary wants to, and to charge them. But RyanAir don't fly that far, in one go.

Hi all :wave:

How is everyone doing today?

On September 6th 2014 my mother passed away after being poorly for quite some time, I turned to comfort eating and drinking more often, not heavy, just more regularly. I have struggled to stop and am slowly getting there. I decided this year I would cut the out the c**p from my diet and take more exercise. Loose weight and feel better, unfortunately at the end of February I had flu/virus/bug whatever it was and it flattened me for over a week and lingered for many more which left me very drained, I got over it eventually but the weather since has been pretty lousy at times so outdoor activities have not been possible. The weather cheered up so I planned to get out there, last Wednesday I developed an ear infection which left me feverish and even more lethargic so still no exercise. Finding motivation is hard, food tastes really nice but I am over weight and feel tired and lethargic all the time and am stuck in a rut. We go on holiday in August and I need to buy a few bits but I don't want to buy a bigger size.

Maybe we should have big online group hug to support each other and help each other with motivation.

:hug:
Big hug! :hug:. I'm not very very overweight but I'm not back to where I should be. Being retired, I find it too easy to do nothing (except cooking and food photos, which I do all the time). I eat very little but still drink too much alcohol, which is my downfall. I can never quite understand how those that don't drink alcohol don't find it easy to lose weight. When I gave up drinking (I did so recently for several years) I found it easy to stick to 1000 or 1200 Kcals per day and soon got down to normal weight. Then I just ate 1500 kcals to 1700 per day and stayed the same weight. Now I only eat about 500 Kcals per day... the rest (oh shame :shy:) is alcohol. I know! Its simply insane and I'll no doubt become very ill at some point.

Are you sticking to a calorie controlled diet @Lullabelle?

Back
Top Bottom