Starting my weight loss journey today...

I thought it was about time that this thread has another update for those struggling to carry on with their New Year's resolution or just a general weight loss program. I'm one of those that when I put my mind to it carries on so...

I started the year at 78kg. My original goal had been a minimum of 13kg lost, ideally 15kg and a maximum of 18kg lost. I've had to revise that because my body isn't as fit as it used to be and I'm clearly going to need to weigh less than I used to to get back into the clothes I wore before my back went 18 months ago when I weighed 63kg (9 stone 13lbs).

So my goal has become a minimum of 18kg lost to get down to 60kg which is 9½ stone. If I can lose more, fine but... 18kg is just shy of 40lbs in old money.

Well my weigh in this morning had me at 66.3kg (10½ stone or 147 lbs) so I'm ⅔rds of the way there with almost 12kg (26½ lbs) lost.

The next few weeks are going to be challenging though because of us leaving the UK in 5 days time to go and live in a country I know very little about and have never visited, but that's part of the fun!
Well done @SatNavSaysStraightOn. I'm sure you will get down to target weight down under!

Big hug! :hug:. I'm not very very overweight but I'm not back to where I should be. Being retired, I find it too easy to do nothing (except cooking and food photos, which I do all the time). I eat very little but still drink too much alcohol, which is my downfall. I can never quite understand how those that don't drink alcohol don't find it easy to lose weight. When I gave up drinking (I did so recently for several years) I found it easy to stick to 1000 or 1200 Kcals per day and soon got down to normal weight. Then I just ate 1500 kcals to 1700 per day and stayed the same weight. Now I only eat about 500 Kcals per day... the rest (oh shame :shy:) is alcohol. I know! Its simply insane and I'll no doubt become very ill at some point.

Are you sticking to a calorie controlled diet @Lullabelle?

Big hug to you too :hug:

No diet as such just trying to stop snacking and drinking and taking more exercise, smaller portions. Easier said than done but I am determined. This evening we went to for a 3 mile walk, it was a lovely evening, the trees and bushes are in bloom and the birds were singing. Just need to keep at it.

Big hug to you too :hug:

No diet as such just trying to stop snacking and drinking and taking more exercise, smaller portions. Easier said than done but I am determined. This evening we went to for a 3 mile walk, it was a lovely evening, the trees and bushes are in bloom and the birds were singing. Just need to keep at it.
Thank you. Thats good! The walking, I mean. But I think its important to count cals because its so easy to eat too many without realising it. I've trained myself to know what calories things have but I'm still shocked sometimes by seemingly 'innocent' heathy foods. For example, dried fruit.

Because dried fruit has had most of its water removed, it packs a lot of calories and nutrients into a small amount of food. Eat a cup of raisins and you'll be getting almost 500 calories. Prunes provide 447 calories per cup, dates have 415 calories per cup, and dried currants contain 408 calories per cup. Other dried fruits, including figs, apricots and cranberries, are also high in calories per cup.

Now, I probably wouldn't eat a cup of dried fruit in one go but I might easily eat half a cup. A nice handful! One cup of sultanas is 200g - half a cup is 100g. Half a cup is 250 cals!

Oil is another enemy. A good low cal salad... then just 1 Tbsp of oil in the salad dressing adds 119 cals.

Thank you. Thats good! The walking, I mean. But I think its important to count cals because its so easy to eat too many without realising it. I've trained myself to know what calories things have but I'm still shocked sometimes by seemingly 'innocent' heathy foods. For example, dried fruit.

Now, I probably wouldn't eat a cup of dried fruit in one go but I might easily eat half a cup. A nice handful! One cup of sultanas is 200g - half a cup is 100g. Half a cup is 250 cals!

Oil is another enemy. A good low cal salad... then just 1 Tbsp of oil in the salad dressing adds 119 cals.

If you take the time to actually look at labels which claim to be good and healthy it is quite shocking to discover the amount of sugar/salt and other bad stuff that is added. Fat free-yes maybe so but shocking amount of sugar :o_o: it can be a bit of a minefield.

If you take the time to actually look at labels which claim to be good and healthy it is quite shocking to discover the amount of sugar/salt and other bad stuff that is added. Fat free-yes maybe so but shocking amount of sugar :o_o: it can be a bit of a minefield.
I agree. Best to make things yourself if you have time. Although, I don't suppose the odd low fat salad dressing from a bottle would be too detrimental. Its a question of balance, really. Sugar in small quantities isn't actually bad for you. I often put a pinch of sugar into a home-made tomato sauce; negligible calories but a boost to the taste.

I agree. Best to make things yourself if you have time. Although, I don't suppose the odd low fat salad dressing from a bottle would be too detrimental. Its a question of balance, really. Sugar in small quantities isn't actually bad for you. I often put a pinch of sugar into a home-made tomato sauce; negligible calories but a boost to the taste.

As with most things, moderation. I would live to have the time and opportunity to buy and cook fresh from scratch but working full time doesn't afford us that luxury.

Good luck in your journey, when I am trying to lose weight I ditch alcohol altogether and eat homemade veggie soups for lunch and simple grilled meats with salads for dinner.

I think every technique works different with different people. I tried with lemon detox, ginger tea, coffee, etc, but nothing worked. In the last 5 months I actually gained 20 ps. I exercise in the morning, even then.

I think every technique works different with different people. I tried with lemon detox, ginger tea, coffee, etc, but nothing worked. In the last 5 months I actually gained 20 ps. I exercise in the morning, even then.
That is quite a lot to gain in 5 months. Did you change your eating/drinking habits?

Dieting is very often the best way to actually gain weight not lose it sadly.

At the moment lacking scales, I'm convinced I am putting it on, but I can't tell really. I know that the jeans I came out here in are still too big for me and I had to be taken out by a friend shopping last week to buy some tracksuit bottoms. I ended up buying some boys tracksuit bottoms in age 14 because they fitted me the best. I don't have the classic women's shape so often what fits around the waist is not what fits my hips or thighs (usually so much extra baggy material that they rub).
I've also had to buy some smaller T-shirts. BUT, the winter coat I have with me is still tight in places I would rather it wasn't where it never used to be, but at least it fits me now. It is surprisingly hard without scales and rather demoralising!

Dieting without scales is hell.

I'm going to purchase some, I have decided. Then I'll depress myself by writing myself sometime next week and seeing how much I haven't lost!

:okay: It will be fine. Purchasing the scales will spur the weight loss! I'm struggling myself and haven't got scales. But I know I'm about a stone and a half overweight. My problem is alcohol - which piles on the pounds. :( :drink::cheers: :stop:

Back
Top Bottom