Steak, How do you prep it

detroitdad

Legendary Member
Local time
2:23 AM
if it's thick enough I let it rest for one hour before cooking it. I layer both sides with a healthy dose of kosher salt.

I cook mine rare. Everyone else's in the medium rare range.

20180904_163526.jpg
20180904_170120.jpg
20180904_173133.jpg
20180904_175454.jpg
20180904_175752.jpg
20180904_180000.jpg

T-Fal Panini Press Grill..jpg

I cook it on THIS. It times it perfectly. Before that I marinate it in a bottled marinade. Then I always cook it to medium well. I like to have sautéed onions, broccoli & mashed potatoes with mine! :wink:

Last edited:
Depends on the end result I'm looking for. If I'm going for steak done on the Egg, I get the butcher to cut a 3" thick rib-eye for me. Let it come to room temperature while I get the Egg going. Salt and pepper only for seasoning and then cook it using the reverse sear method.

There are many other methods for steak like skirt, palomilla, steak au poivre, etc.

Room temperature. I like to drizzle it with some Worcestershire sauce, and cook it on my indoor grill with a temperature control and glass tempered lid. Keeps the smoke alarm from going off. It's about 14 inches in diameter, so I have room to grill mushrooms and/or onions or asparagus on the side at the same time. Sometimes I top it with a pat of butter at the end, and let it rest. I will only eat it well done. No red, no pink, no blood!

Last edited:
I'm a restaurant's worst nightmare. I won't let them off easy for not watching the food until it's cooked. Never have liked rare or raw food. Makes me gag.

Steak Degree of Doneness..jpg

Since we are discussing steak.....? For each degree of doneness, add another minute of cooking time.

I fry a 250 gm, 30mm thick room temperature steak in either olive oil or butter in a wok (high sides prevent much of the splatter). First side 75 seconds, the second side 60 seconds. Then apply the very hot flame of a blowlamp for around 30 seconds both sides or until charred. It's then left to rest for 5 -10 minutes.

served 5 cut s.jpg

Lol, Rock. My best buddy from childhood and through our first 40 years, rest his soul, used to say, "Knock the horns off, wipe its a$$, and drag it close enough to the grill to warm it up."

Steak is a pretty wide category. There's lots of popular cuts that require very little prep, and the cook is equally uncomplicated. But then there's various cuts, from super thin, to tough, thick, and fatty; from mechanically tenderized, to enzymatic softening tricks, and so on.

I made a really thick, oddly shaped top round long steak (London Broil) tonight that was pulled from the depths of the garage freezer a few days ago.

It lost a lot of intracellular fluid, and had a weird freezer smell to it. So, I grilled it. I gave it a good dose of salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
The thinner ends were cooked well done, while the very thick center came out rare.

Still, there was a funky freezer taste, so it was A-1 to rescue for some of it, and a 20 year old balsamic vinegar as a drizzle for some more slices. (Yes, the overrated balsamic vinegar worked perfectly, adding both a tart and sweet dimension that masked any flaws).

Back
Top Bottom