Steak, How do you prep it

I'm not sure there is a right answer to this one. Even Michelin starred chefs seem to disagree in the perfect cooking method so I guess it's very much a personal thing. The only part that everyone agrees on is the importance of resting the steak after cooking. Personally, I coat my steak in oil (never oil the pan), season then drop into a very hot iron skillet for 1 min each side, adding butter and a crushed clove of garlic towards the end. Rest for 10 mins, with a slice of bone marrow on top, if I have some.

I read an article recently that stated that you don't need oil at all as long as your pan is hot enough. I've yet to test this.

I haven't tried (yet) cooking the steak from scratch with the blowlamp. Perhaps it will work for meat 25mm to 30mm thick?

I haven't tried (yet) cooking the steak from scratch with the blowlamp. Perhaps it will work for meat 25mm to 30mm thick?
I recently saw Heston Blumenthal doing this. He torched a rack of ribs, then cut them into steaks. Then I fell asleep and missed what he did next. Anyway, your blowtorch is at the cutting edge of molecular gastronomy!

Then I fell asleep and missed what he did next.

laughing hyena.gif

My experience and knowledge of video capturing is zero. However, I tried to portray the charring of today's beef steak on video. I obviously should have locked the focus as the automatic focus appears to have difficulty keeping up with the blowlamp. If I ever attempt this again, I promise that I'll try to do better.

Also, as I fired up the blowlamp, the sky went dark and it started raining which didn't help.

The beef was removed from the freezer at 06:00 and defrosted at room temperature. Freshly ground back pepper was added both sides once the beef was defrosted. The cooking process started around 14:00 shallow frying with minimal very hot olive oil for 60 seconds each side. The beef was then relocated to the cast iron plate and seared for about 45 seconds both sides with the blowlamp. It was then left to rest for about 6 minutes.

Also, as I fired up the blowlamp, the sky went dark and it started raining which didn't help.

So is that rain on the soundtrack I can hear? This is a great way to cook steak! I've remembered that I also did something similar - I cooked steak in the sous-vide and then used a blow torch to sear it. No photos though, which is why I'd forgotten.

So is that rain on the soundtrack I can hear?

Probably, I didn't have the headphones on when I viewed it. I was (almost) underneath the "Carnation Milk" milk umbrella.

[Edit: I've replayed it with the headphones on. The main noise is the blowlamp itself but yes, you can hear the heavy raindrops on the umbrella]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom