"Stone" Woks

What I see missing from all these wok photos are the two utensils used to toss the ingredients for a wok meal about to get them cooked and fried on all sides. These are as what I have seen, 2 long deals that allow keeping distant from spattering oils while letting the chef kick things about. Aren't these utensils part of the whole wok business?

I've mainly seen Chinese cooks use a long handled metal spatula (not two). But I'm no expert in the wok world.

We fired up the "stone" wok today and it's a little unusual (in my opinion anyway). There's a very slight slope on the base which brings any oil to the side nearest the handle. Has anyone else come across this or have I bought a duff one?

We fired up the "stone" wok today and it's a little unusual (in my opinion anyway). There's a very slight slope on the base which brings any oil to the side nearest the handle. Has anyone else come across this or have I bought a duff one?
Not come across that in any kind of wok...

Not come across that in any kind of wok...

It's such a very small slope, a photograph doesn't show it. I've been on the Cuisinart website but it's all in Thai and it doesn't address the "slope" anyway (AFAIK).

My wife's impression of the "stone" wok to date (she has used it more than I have) is that it heats up quicker, cooks food more evenly, and cools down quicker. As they're currently on special offer she's talking of buying another (£36.00 reduced to about £20.00). Don't ask why we need two.

It's such a very small slope, a photograph doesn't show it. I've been on the Cuisinart website but it's all in Thai and it doesn't address the "slope" anyway (AFAIK).

OK. I used the "stone" wok myself today to cook my spring roll filling and it doesn't have a "sloping" base; it's an optical illusion. The top is uneven. I placed it on a level surface and measured to the height of the "rim". 80 mm at the handle and 110 mm at the opposite end, viz:

new wok.jpg

Very strange.

OK. I used the "stone" wok myself today to cook my spring roll filling and it doesn't have a "sloping" base; it's an optical illusion. The top is uneven. I placed it on a level surface and measured to the height of the "rim". 80 mm at the handle and 110 mm at the opposite end, viz:

View attachment 13958

Very strange.

Maybe its meant to be like that - the difference looks to much to be a mistake. Quick search - it looks like an 'angled wok' - designed to make it easier to toss the food I think. See here

...if you think about how to toss food in a pan when frying (I learned this from Jamie Oliver) holding the handle in front of you, you push the pan vigorously away from you, keeping it level as you do so. The food then jerks up at the back part of the pan (hence the higher height at the back) and as you move the pan back, still keeping it on a level, it falls back in the pan 'turned'.

This is very difficult to explain in words! But I am certain that this is why your wok is wonky! Its a good thing.:D

Back
Top Bottom