Strawberries and Strawberry Tops

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
8:52 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I don't often come across something in a fruit or veg that I didn't know was edible, but reading an article this morning (it's morning here, I promise) I came across such a thing: strawberry tops.

In fact the article listed one or two more such items as well.
watermelon seeds, apple cores, orange peels, banana skins, grape stems, strawberry leaves
  • I have always eat watermelon seeds. Just swallow them whole and get on with it.
  • apple cores - my husband has always eaten these. Usually the only thing left when he has an apple is the label, the stalk/stem and the seeds. Otherwise everything is eaten. He's always done it, so for me, it has become normal.
  • Banana skins - well I can't stand bananas, and they don't like me either, so this one is new to me. Neither my husband or my chickens will eat banana skins
  • Grape stems - why not if they are young and green, after all I eat broccoli and cauliflower stems, so the concept is the same. I often much on hawthorn leaves (or did when I was in the UK). The young leaves, leaf & flower buds as well as the very young stems (stripped of bark) are all edible as well.
  • Strawberry leaves: humm. This one has me with my thinking cap on. I thought that strawberry leaves were poisonous, but thinking about it many animals do consume strawberry leaves which any gardening trying to grow strawberries will tell you all about. So are they poisonous? Well the answer is yes and no! No they are not when they are young and fresh and not showing any signs of decay (yellowing or brown spots...and this also assumes you are not allergic to strawberries!) But if they are showing any signs of decay, starting to yellow or it is the end of the season, they are deadly! More information on Strawberry leaves can be found here (http://www.livestrong.com/article/472453-what-are-the-health-benefits-of-strawberry-leaves/)
So Strawberry tops? What are they. Quite simply they are those leafy green bits you get when you pick strawberries... and they are edible. But if you don't want to eat them, you can add them to anything you want to... smoothies, water to infuse it with a slight strawberry taste, spirits such as vodka or gin again to give it a strawberry flavour and colour!

Taken from MSN (http://www.msn.com/en-au/lifestyle/...er-ever-throw-away-strawberry-tops/ar-BBDk5jS)

I don't often come across something in a fruit or veg that I didn't know was edible, but reading an article this morning (it's morning here, I promise) I came across such a thing: strawberry tops.

In fact the article listed one or two more such items as well.

• I have always eat watermelon seeds. Just swallow them whole and get on with it.
  • apple cores - my husband has always eaten these. Usually the only thing left when he has an apple is the label, the stalk/stem and the seeds. Otherwise everything is eaten. He's always done it, so for me, it has become normal.
  • Banana skins - well I can't stand bananas, and they don't like me either, so this one is new to me. Neither my husband or my chickens will eat banana skins
  • Grape stems - why not if they are young and green, after all I eat broccoli and cauliflower stems, so the concept is the same. I often much on hawthorn leaves (or did when I was in the UK). The young leaves, leaf & flower buds as well as the very young stems (stripped of bark) are all edible as well.
  • Strawberry leaves: humm. This one has me with my thinking cap on. I thought that strawberry leaves were poisonous, but thinking about it many animals do consume strawberry leaves which any gardening trying to grow strawberries will tell you all about. So are they poisonous? Well the answer is yes and no! No they are not when they are young and fresh and not showing any signs of decay (yellowing or brown spots...and this also assumes you are not allergic to strawberries!) But if they are showing any signs of decay, starting to yellow or it is the end of the season, they are deadly! More information on Strawberry leaves can be found here (http://www.livestrong.com/article/472453-what-are-the-health-benefits-of-strawberry-leaves/)
So Strawberry tops? What are they. Quite simply they are those leafy green bits you get when you pick strawberries... and they are edible. But if you don't want to eat them, you can add them to anything you want to... smoothies, water to infuse it with a slight strawberry taste, spirits such as vodka or gin again to give it a strawberry flavour and colour!

Taken from MSN (http://www.msn.com/en-au/lifestyle/...er-ever-throw-away-strawberry-tops/ar-BBDk5jS)

@SatNavSaysStraightOn

I eat the "top leaves " on strawberries .. I employ in salads or Greek, Plain Natural Bio Greek Yogurt with fresh strawberries .. No sugar ! I am not sugary.

I drizzle with a few drops of Greek Bio Evoo !

Have a lovely day ..

apple cores - my husband has always eaten these. Usually the only thing left when he has an apple is the label, the stalk/stem and the seeds. Otherwise everything is eaten. He's always done it, so for me, it has become normal.
Funny...I've always done the same thing. I can never get every little bit of the flesh of the apple because of the veins in the core, so I decided a long time ago to just eat all of it. The seeds have an almond-like flavor that I enjoy. Watermelon seeds require too much work to chew, so I discard them. Likewise with the grape stems, though I have gnawed on them at times.

I did once steam banana skins along with dim sum, since I didn't have banana leaves. It added a subtle character that I liked, but I don't think I'd go out of my way to do it again. And, no, I haven't tried eating the skins since I was a little kid. Edible? Yes. Tasty. Er...no.

As for strawberry leaves....now, I think I'm going to have to get a batch of strawberries, pick off the leaves, and make a pesto from them! Of course, I'll also eat the rest of it, but this is a something I hadn't considered.

I've never eaten any pips or seeds and always take them out of fruit, mainly because I share with the K9 member of the family and the cyanide etc in the pips/seeds can be fatal to a dog in much smaller quantities than we would have to eat, although he can have apple cores minus the stalk and the pips. Banana skins are a no-no - I can't even touch them without coming out in blotches. As for strawberry tops, I seem to remember eating them in my younger days, but the strawberries were freshly picked from our garden. I wouldn't fancy eating the tops from ones bought from the supermarket.

The seeds have an almond-like flavor that I enjoy.
Yeh, that almond flavour is hydrogen cyanide... But then I eat elderberry berries and seeds as well but only in small quantities but I never chew the seeds which is important. They pass through undigested that way and the cyanide coating isn't touched.

I tried eating a strawberry top the other day and although it tasted quite nice, the leaves felt uncomfortably sharp in my mouth and were a little tough. In fact most of the list in the op sound a bit undigestable.

I tried eating a strawberry top the other day and although it tasted quite nice, the leaves felt uncomfortably sharp in my mouth and were a little tough. In fact most of the list in the op sound a bit undigestable.
that was exactly the thought that had come to my mind when I first read the article!

Back
Top Bottom