Strawberry jam....again

Mine is (or more accurately was) figs. All of last week I was taking several kgs a day. This week it has stopped because of the lack of rain and the magpies who are feeding of the ripe figs have now moved over to the unripe figs and have ransacked both trees sadly . There is nothing that can be done to protect the unripe figs, the trees are exactly that . I can only reach may be half way up them by catching hold of branches and pulling them down . So I've been mainly experimenting with them and working out how to make fig molasses and how to get it that lovely dark brown colour without any additional matter coming into it, but taking into account that it won't go through a nut milk bag. It took a lot of work but 5kg of figs made just over 1litre of fig molasses on Thursday (oh, that's yesterday). My container is only 1l so the test was carefully poured into the fig conserve I made the previous week when I attempted a fig molasses but didn't use a fine enough sieve. It had mixed in nicely and thinned the result from an exceptionally well set jam (it isn't, it's just very thick) to a thinner conserve that can still be spread on toast but without the need to finely slice it first !

Mine is (or more accurately was) figs. All of last week I was taking several kgs a day. This week it has stopped because of the lack of rain and the magpies who are feeding of the ripe figs have now moved over to the unripe figs and have ransacked both trees sadly . There is nothing that can be done to protect the unripe figs, the trees are exactly that . I can only reach may be half way up them by catching hold of branches and pulling them down . So I've been mainly experimenting with them and working out how to make fig molasses and how to get it that lovely dark brown colour without any additional matter coming into it, but taking into account that it won't go through a nut milk bag. It took a lot of work but 5kg of figs made just over 1litre of fig molasses on Thursday (oh, that's yesterday). My container is only 1l so the test was carefully poured into the fig conserve I made the previous week when I attempted a fig molasses but didn't use a fine enough sieve. It had mixed in nicely and thinned the result from an exceptionally well set jam (it isn't, it's just very thick) to a thinner conserve that can still be spread on toast but without the need to finely slice it first !

Never had figs, hmmm. Must keep an eye out for some.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom