Street Food Eats - Views, What, Where ?

Francesca

Local time
8:29 AM
There is a diverse food culture called " Street Foods" .. These Veterans prepare anything from Manhattan Hot Dogs & Salty Pretzels, Cocas (Mallorcan Pizzas without cheese), Ceviche in Miraflores, Peru, In Hong Kong, Prawns in a Brown Paper Cone, & in Manhattan, there are loads of food trucks as well with Cotton Candy, Ice Creams, Sándwiches and Latin Chili, Tamales and other assorted quick savory snacks such as Empanadas for example ..

Do you believe it is safe to eat Street Food ? Which Street Foods do you have a penchant for ? Which Street Foods do you avoid ?

Here in Spain, it is not a common daily experience, however, on the Balearic Island of Mallorca, it is common place to have a traditional Coca ( a Mallorcan Pizza without cheese prepared with fresh vegetables) .. Never a doubt about the ingredients employed ..

I had been to Hong Kong and Peru and in both these two cities, I had some "Street Food" recommended by a Professional Contact .. The fish was quite amazing .. However, if I had not known the vendor, I might have been a bit hesitant .. Perhaps also not speaking Hong Kong Chinese, this could also raise a few questions for me, that I would of liked to ask ..

We had no problems in Peru as of course, we speak the same language.

I never eat anything deep fried on the Street in unknown oil varieties .. My delicate stomach would go into a psychotic state ..

The most interesting is the Michelin Star food stall of Singapore, owned and operated by Chan Hon Meng called: Hong Kong Soya Sauce Chicken, Rices & Noodles .. Congratulations Chef Chan Hon Meng .. This was written up in London´s Restaurant Magazine and The Guardian. If ever in Singapore, definitely shall check it out ..

On four trips we had taken to Manhattan to attend The World´s Travel Tourism Conventions, I had seen uncountable Hot Dog vendors and Salty Pretzel vendors. They are quite renowned there .. I am not a fan of neither .. My husband was curious & enjoyed an order of, a 100% Beef Kosher Hot Dog with Sauerkraut and a Chocolate covered Pretzel !

Last edited:
I reckon its pretty safe but it depends where. Health and safety regs are pretty good in much of the western world. The other thing is that food is often seared on the spot at high temperatures which kills bacteria.

I'm so food oriented that I'd try street food almost anywhere. On the other hand, I don't travel much these days! I've eaten huge prawns grilled on the street in Cairo plus lots of other street food there. That was a long time ago (in the 70's). Street food in the UK has become a bit trendy in the last 10 years. There are street vendors selling high-end gastronomic food in some cities and towns.

My favourite street vendor is the local kebab van. It's got a 5 star rating (was 4 but has improved since the opening of the KFC it is outside). The mutt likes their chips, which is more than I can say for anything from KFC, so can't be bad :laugh:

The are a lot of people in downtown Boston along Washington Street with a cart, selling sausage & onion subs, steak & cheese subs, hot dogs & candied nuts. The stuff smells good too!! But I only eat on the street in the spring & summer. :wink:

Last edited:
Grilled sausages in the rain.

sausage cart s.jpg

I love street food, but could never walk down the street eating it! If tables are provided, great, otherwise it gets taken back home, office or to the car. Food safety is not usually a concern. The vendors in our part of the world are in the business because they have a real passion for the food they serve, not just to make a fast buck. The only time I have fallen ill was after eating oysters (ironically at the Good Food Show). I'm not sure how far the definition "street food" extends. I tend to think of it as small, open (or partially open) sided operations where the cooking and seating are not within the confines of a dedicated building. Thus I would include market stalls in the definition, including the ones in our local indoor market that are permanent fixtures but have cooking and seating separated by public walkways, or even have shared communal seating. Our local indoor market has Thai, Chinese dumplings,Jamaican curry and a seafood bar, all superb

The big trend here are food trucks. The good ones have a following. A neighbor makes his living with one. I have only tried the one from the '70s, Ollie's Trolly. There used to be a bunch of hotdog carts, operated by "bikini" clad women, if what they were wearing could be considered a form of clothing.:eek: Most of the cities created laws requiring them to put up a 5' temporary screen around the carts. I guess it wasn't the hotdogs that attracted their clients as the screens killed the business.

Last edited:
I was in the centre of Chester (Cheshire, UK) in 2003 and happened upon a hotdog cart which I had known some 10 years before. I mentioned to the proprietor that I had been a customer of his that long ago and he said that he had then been there, with his wife, in the same spot for 20 years. They are probably still there. Their hotdogs are exceptionally good (dirty dogs, I think Americans call them).

There is a diverse food culture called " Street Foods" .. These Veterans prepare anything from Manhattan Hot Dogs & Salty Pretzels, Cocas (Mallorcan Pizzas without cheese), Ceviche in Miraflores, Peru, In Hong Kong, Prawns in a Brown Paper Cone, & in Manhattan, there are loads of food trucks as well with Cotton Candy, Ice Creams, Sándwiches and Latin Chili, Tamales and other assorted quick savory snacks such as Empanadas for example ..

Do you believe it is safe to eat Street Food ? Which Street Foods do you have a penchant for ? Which Street Foods do you avoid ?

Here in Spain, it is not a common daily experience, however, on the Balearic Island of Mallorca, it is common place to have a traditional Coca ( a Mallorcan Pizza without cheese prepared with fresh vegetables) .. Never a doubt about the ingredients employed ..

I had been to Hong Kong and Peru and in both these two cities, I had some "Street Food" recommended by a Professional Contact .. The fish was quite amazing .. However, if I had not known the vendor, I might have been a bit hesitant .. Perhaps also not speaking Hong Kong Chinese, this could also raise a few questions for me, that I would of liked to ask ..

We had no problems in Peru as of course, we speak the same language.

I never eat anything deep fried on the Street in unknown oil varieties .. My delicate stomach would go into a psychotic state ..

On four trips we had taken to Manhattan to attend The World´s Travel Tourism Conventions, I had seen uncountable Hot Dog vendors and Salty Pretzel vendors. They are quite renowned there .. I am not a fan of neither .. My husband was curious & enjoyed an order of, a 100% Beef Kosher Hot Dog with Sauerkraut and a Chocolate covered Pretzel !
I reckon its pretty safe but it depends where. Health and safety regs are pretty good in much of the western world. The other thing is that food is often seared on the spot at high temperatures which kills bacteria.

I'm so food oriented that I'd try street food almost anywhere. On the other hand, I don't travel much these days! I've eaten huge prawns grilled on the street in Cairo plus lots of other street food there. That was a long time ago (in the 70's). Street food in the UK has become a bit trendy in the last 10 years. There are street vendors selling high-end gastronomic food in some cities and towns.

@morning glory

Quite fascinating for gastro buffs and adventure seekers. There is even a Street Vendor who obtained a Michelin Star in Asia .. At the moment, it has slipped my mind, but I believe it is located in either Bangkok or Singapore ..

Have a lovely Christmas ..

Last edited:
I was in the centre of Chester (Cheshire, UK) in 2003 and happened upon a hotdog cart which I had known some 10 years before. I mentioned to the proprietor that I had been a customer of his that long ago and he said that he had then been there, with his wife, in the same spot for 20 years. They are probably still there. Their hotdogs are exceptionally good (dirty dogs, I think Americans call them).

@Yorky

Thank you for posting the fabulous photograph .. Yes, the same in Manhattan .. These Veterans have been in exactly the same place for at least 2 - 5 decades.

I only Heard them referred to as Hot Dogs, but anything is possible in Manhattan ! The majority are Downtown in the Whitehall ( Ferry) and Chambers Street zone ( electronic shops ) near the offices and Canal Street ( the beginning of Chinatown ).

Have a wonderful New Year ahead and a lovely Christmas holiday season ..

@Yorky

Thank you for posting the fabulous photograph .. Yes, the same in Manhattan .. These Veterans have been in exactly the same place for at least 2 - 5 decades.

I only Heard them referred to as Hot Dogs, but anything is possible in Manhattan ! The majority are Downtown in the Whitehall ( Ferry) and Chambers Street zone ( electronic shops ) near the offices and Canal Street ( the beginning of Chinatown ).

Have a wonderful New Year ahead and a lovely Christmas holiday season ..

Bob Dylan's lyrics from "On The Road Again", the album "Bringing it all back home":(1965)

"Well, I asked for something to eat
I'm hungry as a hog
So I get brown rice, seaweed
And a dirty hot dog"

I love street food, but could never walk down the street eating it! If tables are provided, great, otherwise it gets taken back home, office or to the car. Food safety is not usually a concern. The vendors in our part of the world are in the business because they have a real passion for the food they serve, not just to make a fast buck. The only time I have fallen ill was after eating oysters (ironically at the Good Food Show). I'm not sure how far the definition "street food" extends. I tend to think of it as small, open (or partially open) sided operations where the cooking and seating are not within the confines of a dedicated building. Thus I would include market stalls in the definition, including the ones in our local indoor market that are permanent fixtures but have cooking and seating separated by public walkways, or even have shared communal seating. Our local indoor market has Thai, Chinese dumplings,Jamaican curry and a seafood bar, all superb

@epicuric,

As I had mentioned to Morning Glory, there is a Street Vendor - Kiosk Stall in Asia who earned a Michelin Star and if I recall, it is in Singapore. I mentioned the name of the owner and Stall in my article ..

Street food or Market stall & Kiosk food have come a long way up the gastronomic ladder .. I agree, that these establishments are not located in the confines of a purpose built building & are built with partial openings ..

They are very rare as I mentioned Spain except for on the Island of Mallorca in the city of Palma de Mallorca.
Or beach vendors as well and of course La Mercat de La Boqueria which is a farmer´s Market and houses Fish Mongers, Butchers and several Tapas Bars and Café Stalls ..

Have a nice holiday season .. Merry Christmas ..

Last edited:
Bob Dylan's lyrics from "On The Road Again", the album "Bringing it all back home":(1965)

"Well, I asked for something to eat
I'm hungry as a hog
So I get brown rice, seaweed
And a dirty hot dog"

@Yorky,

I believe Bob Dylan may have been a native New Yorker or lived there for quite some time .. However, I do not recall the song at this moment ..

Happy Holidays ..

Back
Top Bottom