Stress eating

Rosyrain

Veteran
Local time
9:36 PM
Do you ever find that you stress eat or eat more when you are stressed out? I used to not eat at all when stressed out and now it seems as though I eat more when I am bugged.

I tend to eat less when I am stressed but more when I'm bored. I find myself reaching for candy or looking for something to chew on when I'm sitting still for too long.

When I am stress out sometimes I do not let my emotions to be affected too much by my worries. I am always telling to myself that my health is more important to me than anything else. That is why in I am eating even a little so that I have the strength just to cope with the situation.

When I was younger, I thought that stress eating was just a term. But when I gained weight, now I understand it. When I get very stressed, I always gain a pound or two. But as per my observation, I did not go on an eating binge. My suspicion is that my metabolism slows down when I am stressed because my food intake is still the same and sometimes it was even less than normal when I am stressed. It is ordinary for me to have no appetite when I am stressed out.

I tend to eat less with I am stressed. I use to be the opposite way but lately the last thing I want to do is eat when I am stressed out.
Times like that I just want to crawl under a rock and stay. Eating is the last thing on my mind. I have seen myself go a few days without
eating if things are really bad.

Honestly I have times where I fluctuate between eating a lot when I'm stressed or totally forgetting to eat. I guess it probably depends on the nature of the stress at hand as to which way it goes.
I am thinking this probably best describes me. I fluctuate. Sadly when I do go overboard it's usually at some ungodly hours when I should be sleeping. The article that Berties provided was quite a bit of food for thought.

When I am stressed I tend to not eat but when I am bored I eat everything that is not glued down. Just recently we had some cinnamon raisin bread in the house, I am not a bread eater. The cinnamon raisin bread was not all that good but I could not stop eating the bread, I was so bored, I had strained my knee some time back and it will hurt off and on. I could not go any where due to the knee hurting, so I ate a whole loaf of cinnamon raisin bread and gained 5lbs.

If I'm stressed because of work I will eat more during report card time. I reach for comfort food when I am stressed out. It's usually later on at night and my husband and I will have late night snacks. My go to's are sweet treats like chocolate or cookies. Normally I might eat a few cookies, if I'm stressed out I will have a half a dozen or more. Although lately I prefer to snack on salty treats like chips, pretzels or popcorn. After eating the treats I feel guilty about eating so much and wake up and do some exercising which is a better way of dealing with the stress.

Back
Top Bottom