Stromboli

I thought the difference between a stomboli and a calzone was that one came with sauce inside and the other on the side. But i never remember which is which but i like the sauce on the side.

I've found only one place locally, well where we used to live, that makes stromboli as @buckytom describes. The others are just as I described in an earlier post.

Do you eat or make them and what are your favorite fillings? I generally order Stromboli over pizza for take out. I have two favorites, pepperoni and green pepper, onion and Italian sausage. Lots of marinara sauce for dipping. I've made them at home but not very often as homemade pizza always wins out. I may just have to put the BGE into service as a Stromboli oven. Should we have a Stromboli or Calzone cook a long? The shapes may very with Stromboli, but the fillings and folding are all similar.

In my experience, calzone has a ricotta filling, and Stromboli more of a pizza like filling.

One could certainly change it up however one likes for example, meatball calzone, or ham and cheese stromboli whatever you, the cook, like(s).

We used to eat these all the time. A local pub had them at half price during happy hour. Just one of them would easily feed both Colleen and I. We used to get sausage, jalapenos, and red onions.

In my experience, calzone has a ricotta filling, and Stromboli more of a pizza like filling.

One could certainly change it up however one likes for example, meatball calzone, or ham and cheese stromboli whatever you, the cook, like(s).

There is a pizza chain that has coal fired ovens and they make a ricotta and meatball pie that is excellent. Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza.

Ricotta and meatball calzone sounds good. Cutting slits in the top of the calzone to vent while it bakes is a good idea. i.e.

Spinach Ricotta Calzone

https://www.kitschencat.com/ricotta-spinach-calzones/

Serve with marinara sauce for dipping, on the side.

I've seen a Philly cheese steak Stromboli, but not tried it yet.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom