Recipe Stuffed Cabbage (Brasov, Romania)

Francesca

Local time
8:10 AM
In March 2016, my husband and I had travelled to Transylivana, on the high mountain Pass, of Brasov, located close to the renowned Castel Braun ( 1377) .. Here is one of the many recipes that we collected during this 21 day Eno Gastro adventure ..

Stuffed Cabbage ( Served with Polenta ) ..

6 large leaves of Cabbage of choice. ( Remove the veins ) ..
2 tsps. of Greek Evoo or Italian Evoo ..
4 minced Green scallions or 2 spring onions ( the ones with the long stems & dangling balls )
2 cloves of minced garlic
2 tps of home made tomato sauce ( Marinara ) or Tomato Concentrate ( tomato paste )
1/ 2 cup of Raisins ( gold )
1 tsp. of ground cumin.
1/2 tsp of ground cinammon.
2 tablsp. freshly minced parsley herb.
2 1/2 Cups of long grain Greek Rice or similar. ( Boil in salted wáter until tender but not over cooked)
1 Cup of vegetable broth or stock strained in to vegetable broth ..
1 tsp. cumin seeds ..
*** Ground beef, ground veal or ground porc or a combination ( 250 grams ) ..
10 toasted almonds .. Crushed finely.

To Prepare:

1) Pre heat the oven to 190 Degrees Centigrade ..
2) On the oven tray, butter the tray or grease with the Evoo ..
3) In a Stock Pot: Now scald the leaves of the cabbage in boiling wáter for 10 seconds until bland and flexible.
4) Drain the leaves very gently and carefully.
5) To prepare the stuffing, heat the Evoo in a large sauté skillet and first, Sauté the onion and the garlic for 30 seconds.
5) Now add the tomato sauce or concéntrate.
6) Then, stirring clockwise, add the raisins, the toasted almonds, the cumin sedes, the cumin, the parsely and then the meat .. Sauté on a slow low flame until the meat is browned ..
7) Now, add the rice slowly and the broth.
8) Cook until the rice is tender and well combined.
9) Add salt to taste and freshly ground pepper.
10) Work on a wooden Butcher Block : And collocate the cabbage leaves with the stuffing. 2 to 3 tablespoons of stuffing ( the meat rice mixture ) should fit perfectly into your leaves. And wrap in packages ( roll and wrap the flaps and seal with a tiny drop of water under the flaps will seal the leaves.
11) Bake on aluminum foil in the oven covered for 20 - 25 minutes until well cooked ..

Serve with Polenta or Yogurt & Mint ..

A Rosé or light Young Red wine, such as Pinot Noir pairs perfectly with this dish ..

stuffedcabbarebrasov20160322_192351.jpg

A lovely recipe - its great to see the humble cabbage centre stage!

@morning glory,

Yes, it is lovely. Yes, I adore classic stuffed cabbage .. It is Romania´s National Dish ..

Each country, Greece, Romania, Hungary, Turkey, Italy, Russia, Lebanon and many other Eastern European Nations & The Mid East too, have their own stuffed cabbage recipes & different varieties of cabbage ( White, light Green, Curly, Italy´s Cavallo Nero, a Black Green variety, Red Magenta etcetra).

Have a lovely weekend ..

I found several recipes for stuffed cabbage/vine leaves in my old Indian and Greek cookery books. One of those in the Greek cookery book is more or less identical to yours except that they say it is meant to be eaten cold. I cooked your/that version tonight but substituted roughly mashed potatoes for the meat.

Back
Top Bottom