• 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 100g frozen baby broad beans
  • 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
  • large handful basil, chopped
  • large handful mint, chopped
  • 1-2 tsp sherry vinegar

Method
  1. Use a knife to cut down the length of thesweetcorn to remove the kernels. Heat the oil in a large lidded pan. Cook the kernels and garlic over a medium heat for 5 mins, stirring all the time.
  2. Add the frozen beans to the pan, cover and cook, stirring every so often, for another 4-5 mins or until the beans are cooked through. Turn off the heat and add the chilli, herbs and vinegar. Taste and add seasoning, if you like.
Recipe from Good Food magazine, Sept 2013
www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/succotash

Succotash used to be very popular in the South (Southern part of the U.S.), but I haven't heard much about it lately. That is one delicious looking picture, though, so I might have to try making this. It looks like it would be a great accompaniment to my Tilapia fillets, too!

I never heard of this before but it is an interesting combination. I was thinking that same thing that it would be a good side with fish. I am not sure about the mint though. I am not big on mint flavor. I might try to find a substitute that would better suit my taste.

Wow, a friend and I were just talking about this dish the other day. We were talking about our love for okra and I started talking about how I can just eat okra and stewed tomatoes over rice as a complete meal. Then we started talking about succotash and how delicious it is. I noticed in your recipe you didn't have any okra in it..you might not like them, but that's the way I remember succotash being prepared, with the corn, okra, tomatoes, lima beans and other veggies you might want. But the ones that I listed are the ones I'm used to. However, your recipe seems real interesting with the mint added. I might have to try it. Thanks for sharing your version of this dish....I hope to try your version real soon.

Back
Top Bottom