Suet Puddings and Pies (and Lard Pastry)

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
7:48 PM
[Mod.edit: posts moved from another thread to start new topic]

Do you ever make suet puddings or pies? They are a tradition in the UK both sweet and savoury. Traditionally the puddings are steamed in a cloth or basin over simmering water. This my be rather a UK-centric thread as I think suet may be difficult to source outside the UK...

The most famous is probably steak & kidney pudding. I reckon its the easiest pastry you can possibly make. It takes literally seconds and there is virtually nothing that can go wrong.

Lard is probably more widely available but not exactly the same as suet. In the UK its used for hot water raised pastry crusts which are commonly used in pork pies.

I have pies in my freezer, I also have a pie maker metal thingy, cooks 9 pies. What's the difference in a "pudding"?

Russ

Steamed pudding with a suet crust rather than pastry baked in the oven.

steak-kidney-pudding.jpg

steak-and-kidney-pudding.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, will wait for you to post later. Will look for it at supermarket.

Russ

Having done a bit of line research it seems that suet is not available in NZ unless you can get your butcher to supply it. There used to be a product in NZ called 'Shreddo' which was similar but not the same. This is no longer made. You can get Atora at somewhere like Countdown - but its not cheap.

I'll have a look later at countdown. My daughter was a check out chick there when at teachers college. I shop there often. Can't say I've seen it, but have heard of suet.

Thanks for research.

Russ

A kitchen cupboard staple.

I really must start a suet crust/pastry thread. It will be a bit UK centric though as It seems to be unavailable in NZ, Australia and USA and no doubt Italy and Thailand (just mentioning where regular contributors are based). Not sure about Canada, Guernsey or France (although I'm pretty sure its not on sale in France).

I really must start a suet crust/pastry thread. It will be a bit UK centric though as It seems to be unavailable in NZ, Australia and USA and no doubt Italy and Thailand (just mentioning where regular contributors are based). Not sure about Canada, Guernsey or France (although I'm pretty sure its not on sale in France).

I'm sure it's available here, look forward to yours mg, will look in supermarket next time I'm there.

Russ

I'm sure it's available here, look forward to yours mg, will look in supermarket next time I'm there.

Russ

I did a lot of searching of NZ sites and couldn't find it (see above). But maybe you will be lucky. Otherwise I suggest asking a good butcher. Its stuff they probably throw away so should be cheap.

Back
Top Bottom