Suet

The double-L is pronounced like the later Y, and the I is pronounced like the letter E. Tor-Tea-Yas.

You are saying that is the correct way to say it? That is how I say it and I hear UK chefs on TV pronouncing it that way. I don't know anyone here who pronounces it any differently.

'Tacos', I'm used to pronouncing with a short a (as in 'cap'), which is how definitely how it is pronounced in Spanish.

May move this to a new thread....

Suet is harder to come by here

Easy here - all ready prepared and shredded to use. The leading (only?) brand is:

According to their website the brand name was derived from the "toro", the Spanish word for bull, inspired by the fact that suet comes from beef cattle.

Here is what is in the packet:

And I have some in the cupboard....

Last edited:
Easy here - all ready prepared and shredded to use. The leading (only?) brand is:

View attachment 54117

View attachment 54118

According to their website the brand name was derived from the "toro", the Spanish word for bull, inspired by the fact that suet comes from beef cattle.

Here is what is in the packet:

View attachment 54121

And I have some in the cupboard....
Yep, that's what I use.

Suit pastry can't be beaten in my view... in fact I feel a pie coming on next weekend.

You are saying that is the correct way to say it? That is how I say it and I hear UK chefs on TV pronouncing it that way. I don't know anyone here who pronounces it any differently.

'Tacos', I'm used to pronouncing with a short a (as in 'cap'), which is how definitely how it is pronounced in Spanish.

May move this to a new thread....

I guess I need to tell all the Mexicans in Texas that they are pronouncing Taco all wrong. What do they know, they only invented it.

I don't think it needs a separate thread. It is not that big of a deal -- it is too trivial. If you wish, you can edit my posts regarding this, and we can just pretend it never happened. It is too trivial. It shouldn't bother me, but it does. My inner TastyReuben. :D Sorry I brought it up.

Everyone mispronounces my last name. My family got used to it long ago, and we now mispronounce it, too. If you can't beat em', join em'. When I went to Italy, out of habit, I corrected a hotel desk clerk for pronouncing my name right. :laugh:

CD

CD

Last edited:
I have just become aware that autocorrect has been changing suet to suit... that's embarrassing, especially as it fail to pick up some basic speeling mistokes

I changes some of my words, too. And, I don't always notice that it changed them. I lost count of how many times I had to go back and fix "quest dip." (queso dip)

I don't think it needs a separate thread. It is not that big of a deal -- it is too trivial

I meant a general thread about different pronunciation of culinary words in general, as this subject has come up before.

I was just trying to clarify what you meant. I didn't know if the way I pronounce 'taco' is how Mexicans pronounce it. But you have now clarified that its not. I was saying its the way its pronounced in Spain (and the UK). That doesn't mean its correct. Mexicans invented tacos so they should know!

I meant a general thread about different pronunciation of culinary words in general, as this subject has come up before.

I was just trying to clarify what you meant. I didn't know if the way I pronounce 'taco' is how Mexicans pronounce it. But you have now clarified that its not. I was saying its the way its pronounced in Spain (and the UK). That doesn't mean its correct. Mexicans invented tacos so they should know!
Morning Glory

There are two ways to pronounce the short 'a' and it is not to say that either way is incorrect. Spanish, Italian and German speakers, for example, would pronounce certain words 'ah' as in father. The English speaker is unique in pronouncing the same words 'aeh' as in bat. As a born English speaker, I pronounced using the latter. But after being exposed to multiple languages, particularly German and Spanish, I have come to prefer the former. It is not rude for an English speaker to pronounce such words the way they do. It is just that way and an English speaker cannot be expected or coerced to change their vocalization simply to please some argument from others. An English speaker speaks English, not some other language, even with words adapted from those other languages.

Getting back to suet. My ex-FIL used to use it in his chili. It was good, but I didn't think it was necessary, and it was also a heart attack in a bowl.

I have eaten carnitas made the traditional way by cooking in Manteca (lard). I've never made them that way. I probably never will. The carnitas I make are pretty darn good, so I am reluctant to take that step to Manteca.

CD

Morning Glory

There are two ways to pronounce the short 'a' and it is not to say that either way is incorrect. Spanish, Italian and German speakers, for example, would pronounce certain words 'ah' as in father. The English speaker is unique in pronouncing the same words 'aeh' as in bat. As a born English speaker, I pronounced using the latter. But after being exposed to multiple languages, particularly German and Spanish, I have come to prefer the former. It is not rude for an English speaker to pronounce such words the way they do. It is just that way and an English speaker cannot be expected or coerced to change their vocalization simply to please some argument from others. An English speaker speaks English, not some other language, even with words adapted from those other languages.

I mispronounce words from other languages all the time, but if I find that I am mispronouncing them, I start pronouncing them right. I want to be corrected. There is this one British cooking show on YouTube I really like, and watch all the time. The guys on that show did a series of shows in Texas, and ate Mexican food and TexMex food, and continued to mispronounce "taco" and "tortilla." They experienced the food, but didn't soak in the culture surrounding the food. Since I live in Texas, I'm surrounded by Spanish speaking people. I couldn't avoid soaking in the culture, unless I made a conscious decision to not change my ways (not uncommon with Americans).

CD

Once in London, I noticed that in the Hotel where I stayed, they didn’t leave the soap in the bathroom, so I kindly asked for it to the reception, but keep pronouncing “soap” as “soup”...
Now my English pronunciation is far more good. I always got some chicken and mushroom pie to pair with.

Back
Top Bottom