Sugar heals!

Berties

Guru
Local time
6:58 AM
my sister n law who is a old school time spent district nurse,was talking to me today about a medical professional she had emailed about sugar healing wounds and the research he was doing into it,
Have you ever heard of this before?
I've heard of medical honey
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-21457155
Here is a article on the chap

Any kind of sugar acts to draw out infections and clean the wounds. A lot of old remedies are coming back into use Including the use of leaches and maggots. Leaches are used for people with cauliflower ears. The leaches are attached to the ear where they suck up the blood and hopefully the ear will return to its jormal shape.

in cases of bad infeftions IE lots of pus, maggots are used to get rid of dead, decaying flesh and Infection. Sorry if your eating at the moment. It seems that some o.d remedies aren't as ridiculous or barbaric as we might think.

Last edited:
Any kind of sugar acts to draw out infections and clean the wounds. A lot of old remedies are coming back into use Including the use of leaches and maggots. Leaches are used for people with cauliflower ears. The leaches are attached to the ear where they suck up the blood and hopefully the ear will return to its jormal shape.

in cases of bad infeftions IE lots of puss, maggots are used to get rid of dead, decaying flesh and Infection. Sorry if your eating at the moment. It seems that some o.d remedies aren't as ridiculous or barbaric as we might think.

I have heard a lot about this lately too. It seems to be making a come back. I find it a little gross myself but if it works I guess then it is a good thing. Not sure I could allow somebody to do that to me though. Ewwwwwww.

I have heard about the sugar healing in the past but never really read too much into it. After reading the article it sounds promising though.

I haven't heard of that prescription that sugar can heal wounds. On the contrary, all I know is that sugar can increase the blood sugar and slows down the healing of wounds. From the family of diabetics, sugar is taboo and use of excessive sugar is a crime. However, sugar is a comfort food for us. Like when you are having a bad mood, eat a slice of cake or maybe ice cream to perk you up. That is why in parties and gatherings, ice cream and other sweets are the order of the day.

Wonderful, really interesting. I'd never come across this and hope it receives much wider attention within the medical field.

Was aware of honey as a healing agent* but not sugar.

*My mother was involved in a bad car crash in 1988 smashing her ankle. After surgery, the wound became infected, probably due to lack of cleanliness at some stage. Honey was applied and the infection eventually cleared and the wound healed.
We keep some medical grade honey in our first aid drawer - now we don't need to as it seems sugar is just as effective.

Sugar draws out the pus & blood acting as a clotting agent as well as a drying agent.

I've used dirty oil to stem/stop the flow of blood from a cut. I'm on blood thinning medication and any cut I can't stop requires medical treatment.

Its been known for a long time that honey has antiseptic qualities and as classic says, draws out pus and infections and dries the wound.

I assume the sugar works in the same way as the honey ie it basically 'sucks the water' out of both the wound and the bacteria. Many old ideas are basically correct - the use of some fibres to aid blood clotting is only like the [very old] idea of using spiders web for the same purpose. Comforting to know how far medical science has [not] advanced in the last few years.

I assume the sugar works in the same way as the honey ie it basically 'sucks the water' out of both the wound and the bacteria. Many old ideas are basically correct - the use of some fibres to aid blood clotting is only like the [very old] idea of using spiders web for the same purpose. Comforting to know how far medical science has [not] advanced in the last few years.
Spiders webs also contain penicillin, in its natural form.

Back
Top Bottom