Suggestions for the leftover chicken

Pat

Veteran
Local time
5:25 PM
I had some chicken pieces in the freezer that I had been saving for soup along with some turkey that had been cooked on the grill. After letting these items cook down some I am at a lost, what should I do with this to make a meal for the family. The grilled taste is in the mix, I was thinking I would make a salad like chicken salad out of some of the meat and wraps with the balance of the meat.

Any suggestions? It is more meat than I thought to use for soup.

Well truth of the matter is that you mentioned both things that immediately came to mind: the chicken salad and using it in a wrap or maybe a pita. Outside of that I would make me some chicken fried Rice Anne's (that's me) style which basically means adding a bit of this and a bit of that. No real plan just whatever is at hand....that's going to taste good.

Fried rice and wraps both sound good. An omelette coukd be good too although you've probably got far too much meat for that.

Put the chicken in a frying pan with some Hoi sin sauce. Warm it through and serve with boiled rice. Very yummy. And very healthy.

You can just make chicken stir fry. Just buy different kinds of vegetables and fry them with the chicken. I love chicken stir fry especially with bell peppers, carrots, and bean sprouts. You can pair it with white rice. To make white rice a bit more special, I cook it with a dash of salt and some butter. Sometimes, I add chicken cubes.

Yum, everything y'all mentioned sounds good. I could see myself using the leftover meat in all of these ways, as well as in tortillas with salsa verde, with spanish rice and refried beans on the side, or just include them in the tortillas, if you want them to be more portable. Depending on how you want to serve and eat them, you could either melt some cheese inside, or on top.

I used to make this for the kids after we had turkey left over but chicken works to

I would mix the chicken with some onion and some fine cut broccoli
Open a can of the baking biscuits and roll flat (you can use any type of biscuit recipe, mix or even pizza dough)
I always cut with a cookie cutter, you can cut with a knife in a triangle
Put the meat and veggies with some grated cheese in the center and seal like a small pop-over
bake till golden brown usually 9-12 minutes at about 325F degrees

Very yummy and the kids like it because I would let them make their own, maybe one didn't like broccoli and wanted peas, I would set up little bowls of stuff and they could add what they wanted. It tastes good mixed with some cream of mushroom or cream or celery soup. You can add just about anything you have around as a leftover.

I usually make chicken salad for wraps when I have leftover chicken, but there so many other things you can do with it...make chicken stir fry, chicken enchiladas, chicken soup, and even chicken fajitas. The nice part of reusing leftover chicken is that you do not have to wait for it to cook, just heat it up and add it to what you are making.

A chicken curry always goes down well in my house and this is something I often make with the chicken leftovers. I make it different each time, so it is never boring. Sometimes a creamy curry, sometimes a spicy one. Chicken is good in pasta dishes too. Try a tomato sauce and roasted peppers with chicken and pasta, or a creamy sauce and mushrooms.

Chicken curry is a winner! I also make chicken and leek (or mushroom) pie or Nasi Goreng (when its mixed with prawns (shrimp). I also like it cold with spicy Indian pickles and chips (fries). Left over roast chicken really goes a long way. And its so cheap compared to other meats (at least, it is in the UK).

What we do with leftover chicken depends on the dish. For fried chicken, we just fry it again after pulling out from the chiller. By the way, we rarely put leftover food in the freezer. For boiled chicken, we can make it into soup or even vegetable dish. Sometimes when we buy a lot of chicken, we boil it and store in the chiller for future use. But as much as possible, we cook what we buy to have fresh food.

I also like to take herb spiced leftover chicken breasts, slice them up and eat them in a cold sandwich. Fresh real chicken breasts always tastes so much better than the processed lunch meat you get at the store.

If you and your family enjoy Mexican food, you can simply shred the chicken up and mix it with a Mexican shredded cheese blend and some canned green chile's, then roll this mixture up in some flour tortillas that have been dipped in enchilada sauce. Arrange them all in a baking dish, and top with more of the enchilada sauce and the cheese blend, and bake them in the oven until everything is heated through and melted.

Another idea would be to cut the chicken up in large chunks (or shred it) and toss it into some chicken gravy along with some peas and carrots, and bring it all to a simmer. Then just serve it over some large pieces of toasted bread, such as texas toast or even garlic bread, for an open faced chicken sandwich.

You could make "chicken parmesan" sandwiches with it too. Just get a loaf of french bread and cut it lengthwise, then fill it with the chicken, some slices of mozarella, your favorite tomato sauce (Classico brand pizza sauce would be great for this), and a good sprinkling of parmesan. Then wrap the whole thing in foil and bake it in the oven until it's toasty and melted through.

For a snack, you could finely chop up the chicken and use it to make chicken croquettes.

Or just use it cold over a salad.

Chicken fried rice is the first thing that comes to mind. The grill flavour won't overwhelm the other flavours like soy sauce and oyster sauce. You could also make chicken salad or use the chicken in a wrap with peppers and onions. A chicken curry is always great with coconut milk, curry powder, garlic, ginger and served on a bed of rice. Chicken sandwiches are always good - serve open faced and with a gravy on top, mashed potatoes on the side. Then there is always soup. You can a simple chicken noodle soup or chicken and rice soup. There are so many different dishes you can do with leftover chicken.

Yeap the charcoal taste and dimension makes a good wrap or salad. It looks aesthetically pleasing along with grilled tomato. If you're out for taste then chicken and turkey also makes for a good pizza topping drenched with parmesan and goat cheese. You can make a white pizza! Thinking about it is already making me hungry.

Back
Top Bottom