Suggestions for the next Cookalong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
12:51 AM
The Chicken Kiev Cookalong has been very interesting with success and disaster along the way! A big thanks to those who participated. We now need to decide on a new recipe/dish to cook along to.

So far we have chosen dishes from: France (Coq au Vin), Spain (Paella), Italy (Ravioli), Middle East (Falafel), Russia/USA (Chicken Kiev). Below are some of the suggestions that have been made before. (V) indicates vegetarian options.

The concept of the Cookalong is to try out 'classic’ or regional recipes that we haven't cooked before and/or practice techniques that are new to us. Suggestions need to be specific not generic - not ‘wraps’ or ‘stews’ for example. Here are some previous suggestions:

Rogan Josh
Crab Cakes
Croissants (V)
Chinese Dumplings (V)
Bagels (V)
Boeuf Bourguignon

Please feel free to give your preferences to one of the above or add thoughts and other suggestions.

Last edited:
@morning glory

From the choices above, I would have to say Boeuf Bourguignon or Rogan Josh (however, I do not eat lamb) and would prepare it with beef.

Croissants are not an easy pastry to make and one really requires special French flour from a Boulanguer ( Bread Baker) or they will not be "croissants" in true sense of this French art ..

Dim sim: I have never made these .. However, these could be quite interesting too ..

Bagels ( no thank you ). I do however, like Polish "Baiolies" which are also Polish, and are much lighter and have a dusty rustic exterior like a Genovese Focaccia, however, they are also doughnut shape ..

They are very different from Bagels in texture, dough, and taste profile but both are originally from Poland of Jewish heritage .. I had 1 in Manhattan, and it was wonderful .. At Zabars, a very famous Nyc Gourmet food institution ..

I might suggest:

1) Boullabaise & Rouille (shellfish and fish stew Provençal with a home made mayonnaise with chili pepper, saffron, lemon juice & garlic ) ..
2) Choucroute ( I do mine with Wild River Trout instead of the classic Porc version )
3) Couscous ( Fish & Shellfish or Vegetarian with Chickpeas or Beef or Lamb )
4) Lasgne ( Vegetarian, Traditional with Ragù Bolognese or even shellfish )

Off top of head these are what I can think of at moment ..

Have nice evening ..

Some good suggestions there - Bouillabaisse could be interesting. I'm mildly upset by you croissant comment :laugh::

Croissants are not an easy pastry to make and one really requires special French flour from a Boulanguer ( Bread Baker) or they will not be "croissants" in true sense of this French art ..

I think I did a good job - this is one of the few achievements I'm pleased with! See here:
https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/croissants.9492/#post-76366

Last edited:
I would take on a crab cake challenge any day.

Rogan Josh is new to me but certainly something I would try. I like lamb.

A yes to Boeuf Bourguignon and Bouillabaisse.

Ratatouille

My suggestions are not elegant or haute' cuisine. I suppose they could be called regional dishes. South US and more specifically South Louisiana.

Sweet potato casserole
Fish sauce picante'
Shrimp and Grits
Crawfish Bisque
Anything with wild caught Salmon
Braised Venison

Being new to the forum I am not sure about the rules for the cooking challenges so my suggestions may not be appropriate.

Being new to the forum I am not sure about the rules for the cooking challenges so my suggestions may not be appropriate.
All suggestions welcome. Its always tricky to decide on a Cookalong dish because it needs to be sufficiently challenging that it will provide a learning curve for at least some members (so not something too straight forward) and not too generic. I think for example, pizza is probably too generic. We also have to (as far as possible) choose something where most members can source the ingredients.

I like the idea of Beef Wellington - Its certainly a classic - I've never cooked one (although I know how its done) and I think it can be tricky to do.

I like the idea of Beef Wellington - Its certainly a classic - I've never cooked one (although I know how its done) and I think it can be tricky to do.

Check out Gordon Ramsay's 2 part YouTube video. Surprisingly simple and perfection the very first time I made it. Since then I have "tweaked" the recipe a little. Another special occasion meal.

Pleeeeeeease, no fish or shellfish - at least not without a "me" health warning so I don't have to look at it. I try to avoid any dishes posted on here containing seafood as well as the photos. Even the thought......:sick:

Pleeeeeeease, no fish or shellfish - at least not without a "me" health warning so I don't have to look at it. I try to avoid any dishes posted on here containing seafood as well as the photos. Even the thought......:sick:

I know - and sympathise. But we can't please everyone all the time. If we did we would have to be strictly vegan, gluten free and God knows what else. Come to think of it I am almost always cooking vegan due to vegan son and vegetarian daughter!. I am going to rebel soon and cook a very rare steak just for me.

I know - and sympathise. But we can't please everyone all the time. If we did we would have to be strictly vegan, gluten free and God knows what else. Come to think of it I am almost always cooking vegan due to vegan son and vegetarian daughter!. I am going to rebel soon and cook a very rare steak just for me.
I know!:roflmao: I'll just have to ignore them then if they contain seafood :laugh: Since my daughter has been diagnosed as lactose and pulses intolerant, and my younger granddaughter has been diagnosed with various allergies and intolerances (none of which are the same as mine, or each other), I have seen first hand how cooking can be an absolute nightmare, especially up there when I stay a couple of days.

All suggestions welcome. Its always tricky to decide on a Cookalong dish because it needs to be sufficiently challenging that it will provide a learning curve for at least some members (so not something too straight forward) and not too generic. I think for example, pizza is probably too generic. We also have to (as far as possible) choose something where most members can source the ingredients.

@morning glory

Beef Wellington is a true masterpiece of art .. The best I had ever had was at Gordon Ramsay´s. He has an amazingly incredible Video on how to, step by step and it is also in one of his many cook books ..

My mom, mom in law and I had made it for the Ephiphany ( January 6th - a legal bank holiday in Spain ) a couple of years ago .. We followed the Video.

Have a lovely day and wkend ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom