Suggestions for the next Cookalong

Status
Not open for further replies.
@morning glory

This is it !

Amazingly extraordinary ..

Thank you for posting the You Tube Video ..

I have all his cookery books .. I love the one for 365 days .. He is a brilliant accomplished Multi Michelin Star Classically Trained Chef ..

@ElizabethB

Multi Michelin Chef Gordon Ramsay is absolutely incredible.

I do not eat red meat too often, however, I love "Rare" Beef Wellington .. It is a true holiday or celebration dish ..

Have a great weekend !! I see there is another Hurricane, Irma in the Caribbean .. Category 2 ..
Oh my .. Disasterous devils of rain and wind ..

The governments of these regions are just behind the times. They do not build or renovate & modernise "sea walls "
and unlike earthquakes, people have time to evacuate however, it is still highly challenging for those who live on the bare mínimum.
Many people and animals are threatened by flooding and loss of life .. Horrendous ..

I hope that it diminishes at sea verses gains power and heads to the Usa ..

Take a look !!!

Sorry to report such negative news.

Would be happy with Boeuf Bourgignon or Bouillabaisse, or lasagne might give more flexibility for meat, fish and veggie options. Beef Wellington is not difficult (I would say easier than Chicken Kiev), but a full size one is not a cheap dish to experiment with - we made one for a New Years Eve party a couple of years ago, the beef was almost £100, and we just managed to squeeze 12 portions out of it. Having said that, smaller, individual ones would be an option, and more challenging to make.

Would be happy with Boeuf Bourgignon or Bouillabaisse, or lasagne might give more flexibility for meat, fish and veggie options. Beef Wellington is not difficult (I would say easier than Chicken Kiev), but a full size one is not a cheap dish to experiment with - we made one for a New Years Eve party a couple of years ago, the beef was almost £100, and we just managed to squeeze 12 portions out of it. Having said that, smaller, individual ones would be an option, and more challenging to make.

@epicuric ,

I am sure these matters are taken into consideration by Management .. It is by no means a reasonably priced specialty dish in Barcelona either ..

The other issue, is that I can cook but I do not bake, unless one considers a Focaccia baking.

So, for me it does not warrant the time required to prepare something I have to invest so much time in, plus the ingredients as they are not always local and the lack of knowledge totally of doing some of the suggested dishes ..

This is why I normally do not participate on top of my profession as I travel so frequently.

I would like to participate, if the ingredients are local or southern French Mediterranean ( fish, shellfish, vegetables) or Cataluna or Italian or Greek or Moroccan, then I have no problem sourcing the necessary ingredients as they are freshly available at the main market ..

Have a nice day ..

No much consensus so far - lets rule out Beef Wellington on cost.
I thought perhaps as we have had French, Spanish, Italian, Middle Eastern and Russian we could look at Greece or possibly Mexico - do: Kleftiko, Stifado or
Mole, anyone?

@Francesca - we will never please everyone but the point of the Cookalong is to help us learn new skills - and not just stay in our comfort zones.

I thought perhaps as we have had French, Spanish, Italian, Middle Eastern and Russian we could look at Greece or possibly Mexico - do: Kleftiko, Stifado or
Mole, anyone?

@Francesca - we will never please everyone but the point of the Cookalong is to help us learn new skills - and not just stay in our comfort zones.
Happy with Kleftiko or Stifado. Never cooked mole though. However, there is one I would very much like to cook. If I can catch the little b**tard, currently wreaking havoc with my lawn.

Mole, anyone?

@morning glory

I work full time and travel 21 days out of 30 or 31, and it is not easy for me time wise and have alot of office work too ..

And getting ingredients could be tricky for certain cuisines.

However, I do understand and if I can I shall participate, if I can. I enjoy seeing all the labors of the Members, and think it is a great idea if one has the time ..

Have a nice evening ..

@ElizabethB

I am very investigative and adventurous however, no rodents of any type ever ..

Sorry to hear that some rodent is wrecking havoc with your lawn. Get a couple of cats from the Animal Protection Society .. That might be a real solution ..

Molé is a Mexican dish (no mammals involved) - but I think you know that! :laugh:

Molé is a Mexican dish (no mammals involved) - but I think you know that! :laugh:

@morning glory

Oh, Pollo Molé .. Yes, it has a very interesting history too .. The Spanish Government Officials were coming to visit the Mexican Representative of the Government, and the Nuns were preparing the catering of the dishes for this event ..

And they threw some black chocolate into the Chicken Stew .. Molé !

However, wasn´t it Elizabeth who was writing about a Mole on her lawn doing some destruction ?

Ha Ha ..

Have a lovely evening ..

However, wasn´t it Elizabeth who was writing about a Mole on her lawn doing some destruction ?
That was @epicuric. I expect it would be possible to eat moles (the mammal).

I have a Mexican Recipe book which has succeeded in making me afraid to make molé! I will start a new thread about that tomorrow as we are off topic (a bit).

Last edited:
That was @epicuric. I expect it would be possible to eat moles (the mammal).

I have a Mexican Recipe book which has succeeded in making me afraid to male molé! I will start a new thread about that tomorrow as we are off topic (a bit).

@morning glory

I have an old client who has become a friend, and she is from Acapulco, on the west coast of Mexico, and she is an Executive Chef of her own Catering Company & Hotel.
She wrote a regional Mexican cookbook, that is quite amazing, as it has nothing to do with Tex Mex fusión cuisine, eg: Burritos, Enchiladas etcetra ..

I personally do not care too much for Chicken Molé, however, you might find it quite interesting as it does have "chili peppers" in it .. She made it for us when we visited her in Mexico and her´s was quite lovely .. It is quite a uniquely seasoned dish ..

However, I prefer the East Coast Shellfish Rices.

Have fun ..

Last edited:
I have not taken part in this before but I would like to. Beef Bourgignon would be something I would like to make. I am a fan of Elizabeth David and there is a recipe of her's I would use. Also my partner says he has heard that mushroom bourguignon can be a good vegan dish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom