Suggestions for the next Cookalong

Have you got Welsh connections @Herbie?

No, but my mum used to make them for Sunday afternoon tea and taught me her recipe. Sunday tea was either freshly made (so warm) scones, scotch pancakes (drop scones) or Welsh cakes. Or toasted muffins (English not American) or crumpets. With butter and jam and great if scones.

A tour of tea items from the British Isles.

I really should bake more. I can add to the above list the Cornish buns I did the other week for the saffron challenge.

I can add to the above list the Cornish buns I did the other week for the saffron challenge

They looked beautiful. In case anyone missed them they are here: Cornish Saffron Buns:

20171001_095320.jpg

I would select the Goulash from the above 3 with the most votes, as it is easy for me to get the ingredients. The Welsh Cakes are fascinating however, I do not have a Griddle .. My parents do and I would have to go to their condo to prepare them ..

We do not prepare game in pies. We eat wild venison either as Venison Tartare or in same style as Filet Mignon, and pheasant, quail and Guinea Fowl, we normally put in oven with wine or cook stove top in a Dutch Casserole & prepare very traditional Regional Spanish ..

My suggestions:

Gulash
Beef Straganoff
Ossobuco
Wild Salmon prepared as " Lox or Gravlax "
Tagine / Tajine of choice .. ( Fish, Meat or Chicken )

I am partial to Jambalaya - a regional specialty.

@ElizabethB

Unfortunately, Jambalaya is very complicated to obtain the ingredients and spices required in Spain ..

I had eaten it at the Disney Resort Hotel, The Dolphin & The Swan at a travel tourisim convention and it was good however, I only ate the shellfish and rice as I do not eat porc products very often except for Iberian Acorn Fed Black Hoof Ham or Prosciutto ..

Regarding Goulash:
Goulash is a dish with dual nationality. In its traditional Hungarian form, it's a soup, a thin broth studded with meat apparently favoured by cowboys (gulyás) – a kind of central European chilli con carne, if you like. Almost everywhere else, however, it refers to the spicy meat stew known in its homeland as pörkölt (or paprikás, depending on the addition, or not, of sour cream).

Goulash seems to be gaining votes. My only concern is that it is rather like Bourguignon which we just had - its a stew and it is beef. However, apparently it does not have to be made with beef (although, that is the most common ingredient). Just my thoughts...

A few of the suggestions are stew like - not hugely different to B.B.

Game pie at least has the complication of pastry, and it's not easy to keep game moist and tender.
The down side of choosing Game Pie is that it could be expensive and some members like @Yorky wouldn't be able to get it.

@Francesca

There are different versions of Jambalaya -
seafood Jambalaya
chicken Jambalaya
Sausage Jambalaya
chicken and sausage Jambalaya

There are no mystery seasonings - salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Like many basic recipes it is frequently tweaked by the cook
Probably the least complicated of the suggested dishes.

I have never eaten or made game pie. I would be happy to try my hand at. I am not much at baking so the crust would be my challenge.

Not crazy about another stew although Rogan Josh and Stroganoff both sound interesting.

Why don't you like game pie any more?
The last time I had it was in a restaurant (admittedly many years ago) and it didn't seem quite right, and I was put off it. Mind you, one Christmas the same restaurant completely ruined my venison steak, so maybe it was the fault of the chef rather than the actual food. And, of course, these days the ingredients for a game pie can be rather expensive. My Mum used to make a mock game pie using left-over meat from our home-reared rabbits and the older chickens with plenty of gravy - not much different from a steak pie really, just different meat.

Back
Top Bottom