Suggestions for the next Cookalong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
9:46 PM
The Goulash Cookalong has been very interesting with some delicious looking results! A big thanks to The Late Night Gourmet, Elawin, Yorky and MrsDangermouse who all participated. There were 5 participants in total (including myself).

We now need to decide a new recipe/dish to cook along to.

So far we have chosen dishes from: France (Coq au Vin and Boeuf/Mushroom Bourguignon), Spain (Paella), Italy (Ravioli), Middle East (Falafel), Russia/USA (Chicken Kiev) and Hungary (Goulash) Below are some of the suggestions that have been made before. (V) indicates vegetarian/vegan options.

The concept of the Cookalong is to try out 'classic’ or regional recipes that we haven't cooked before and/or practice techniques that are new to us. Suggestions need to be specific not generic - not ‘wraps’ or ‘stews’ for example. Here are some previous suggestions plus a few I've added which have been mentioned in various posts here:

Bagels (V)
Jambalaya (could be V)
Game Pie (well, it is the game season in the Northern hemisphere)
Spanakopita (we haven’t had a Greek dish so far) (V)
Fesenjan (Persian Chicken dish - can be made V)
Tarte Tatin (can be V, savoury or sweet)

Please feel free to express your preference for any of the above or add a new suggestion.

Last edited:
I would choose Tarte Tatin as I've never made one successfully and also as it can be sweet or savoury, vegan, meat or even fish (although I've never seen a fish Tarte Tatin)! Second would be Game Pie. The issue with that would be that I suspect it might mean very few members join in die to the fact that they wouldn't be able to get the game. Third for me would be Jambalaya.

Tarte Tatin gets my vote from the option above....haven't made one for ages and I just happen to have some pears in the fruit bowl and puff pastry in the freezer :okay:

Interestingly enough I also have some game pie filling in the freezer too (left over from when I made game pie a couple of weeks ago), but its a good point about game availability. Its also a bit difficult to make vegetarian so might exclude a lot of people.

Another suggestion we could add to the list is home made pasta - I bet lots of people eat pasta but have never tried making their own (though I wonder if it can be done without a pasta rolling machine?). Homemade pizza might be more accessible (though that could get a bit controversial *lol*).

What about a curry?

Another suggestion we could add to the list is home made pasta - I bet lots of people eat pasta but have never tried making their own (though I wonder if it can be done without a pasta rolling machine?). Homemade pizza might be more accessible (though that could get a bit controversial *lol*).

We had Ravioli not long ago for the Cookalong :The CookingBites Cookalong: Ravioli, so I think pasta would be a bit of a repeat on that. Some people (including me) did make it without a rolling machine! I do have one as it happens but as I was making a small quantity it didn't seem worth getting it out. See here.

What about a curry?

We had Rogan Josh on the list before and it didn't get many votes but you could suggest another curry. :happy: It needs to be a specific curry dish rather than just 'curry'.

Last edited:
Tarte Tatin gets my vote too! I've never made it either, but could possibly be persuaded to make a savoury one.
Game pie is a thought but, apart from not everyone being able to get the ingredients, it could work out a bit expensive if you are only making it for one or two people, even if you do freeze the rest of it for later.
Jambalaya - don't see why not
Spanakopita - or maybe tyropita (cheese) or kreatopita (meat)
Fesenjan - another don't see why not
Bagels - again something I've never made, but they've got to be better than shop bought, surely?

As for other suggestions, a nice chicken pilau would go down rather well!

Jambalaya is still my #1 vote.
Risotto - readily available and open to interpretation and inventiveness.
Game Pie
Tart Tatin - is a home made pastry a requirement?

Though I cannot participate as I am extremely busy, I would suggest a dish that would be more related to the Christmas / New Year holidays approaching ..
Some international traditional Christmas / New Year´s classics ..

For example: A yule log or a Bûche .. A soufflé .. A Swiss Fondue ..

Good luck with the upcoming event ..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom