Suggestions for the next Cookalong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basing on the idea that this is something we try making that we've never made (successfully) before:
  • Tarte Tatin - never heard of it before, so it automatically deserves consideration.
  • Game Pie - I've made a few different savory takes on pie-like things (like quiche very recently), so I wouldn't complain, but it's not my top choice
  • Jambalaya - I've made this many times, and love it, so I have to exclude it for the same reason
  • Spanakopita - Likewise, a favorite of mine, and one I've made before, so no.
  • Fesenjan - Also never heard of it, but it sounds like something I'd like to try. I've made things that are at other points of the compass near this (such as Tagine to the west, goulash to the north, and Tikkas to the east), but never in this combination
  • Bagels - I've made these before, and I urge everyone to try this (as well as pretzels, which are similar), but I think they're too simple for this challenge
  • Knödel - I've at least heard of it, but have never made it.
  • Yule Log - I like the idea of making something seasonal.
I do like the idea of making something that I can also serve at a family gathering in the next few weeks. While I could serve Knödel or Fesenjan, if I wanted to take all of it home for myself, that defeats the purpose. So, I vote for:

Yule Log
Tarte Tatin

Yule log and tarte tatin are both out of my comfort zone - baking. I am willing to stretch my horizon and try. I have never made game pie but have made savory pie type dishes. Of course I have made Jambalaya. I like both game pie and jambalaya because both are open to personalization. I am not concerned about authentic or traditional - both dishes would be an opportunity to play with my food. It would be fun to see how others interpret these traditional dishes - think outside the box, personalize, tweak, improvise.

Though I cannot participate as I am extremely busy, I would suggest a dish that would be more related to the Christmas / New Year holidays approaching ..
Some international traditional Christmas / New Year´s classics ..

For example: A yule log or a Bûche .. A soufflé .. A Swiss Fondue ..

Good luck with the upcoming event ..

@The Late Night Gourmet & @ElizabethB & @Sandra

Thank you. Have a lovely weekend .. I will be headed to Madrid on Monday as we have national holidays and we are very busy during this season and we are going to Italy on January 1st to 8th ..

I definitely feel it should be Christmas / New Year´s related ..

In this way, it is also usable possibly for the holiday season & cost effective ..

Another great idea is: For the Ephiphany, or The 3 Wise Men - January 6th is the Spanish 3 Kings Tart or the French 3 Kings Tart .. They are quite different.

Have a great weekend ..

I also do think it should be something more seasonal though what I'm at a loss to suggest.
People are suggesting pavlova to me here for an aussie style christmas and ironically it was already on my menu. I've forgotten what it was we had chosen for main course on Christmas day.

I haven't heard of Fesenjan, so would have to look that one up.

I was wondering about sourdough add an idea. Not seasonal I know but a cold proofed sourdough (so raising is done overnight in the fridge) is something everyone (whose not gluten free) could do irrespective of hemispheres and food availability...

Having looked it up...

Khoresh-e Fesenjān (Persian: خورش فسنجان‎‎), or simply Fesenjān (Persian: فسنجان‎‎), is an Iranianstew (a khoresh) flavored with pomegranate syrup and ground walnuts (see bazha). It is traditionally made with poultry (duck or chicken), but also variants using balls of ground meat, ghormeh cut lamb, fish, or no meat at all are not unusual. Depending on the cooking method, it can have sweet or sour taste. Fesenjān is served with Iranian white or yellow rice (polo or chelo).

...Fesenjān gets my vote. I can veganise it easily using Tempeh or tofu (I don't like seiten but that would work well with it as well).

What about a festive based tarte Tatin?

I came across this one whilst looking for ideas.

. I made a caramelized beetroot tarte tatin, flavoured with red onion and balsamic vinegar — the deep red velvet color is so theatrical, and perfect for this magical time of year.

We could go with Tarte Tatin but it would have to be deep red or bright red in colour to be festive? If we don't define which fruit had to be used (or otherwise) just the color and part of the challenge could be making it festive then anyone can enter irrespective of the current season.

I know that the usual idea of a Tarte Tatin having caramelised fruit in it would be a problem for myself because caramelising fruit in butter and sugar isn't an option being allergic to dairy and gets are no real substitutes for it in caramelising.

What about a festive based tarte Tatin?

I came across this one whilst looking for ideas.

We could go with Tarte Tatin but it would have to be deep red or bright red in colour to be festive? If we don't define which fruit had to be used (or otherwise) just the color and part of the challenge could be making it festive then anyone can enter irrespective of the current season.

I know that the usual idea of a Tarte Tatin having caramelised fruit in it would be a problem for myself because caramelising fruit in butter and sugar isn't an option being allergic to dairy and gets are no real substitutes for it in caramelising.

Yes, a festive Tarte Tatin is an idea - it doesn't need to be red (I think that is too restrictive). Any interpretation of 'festive Christmas ' could work. It could just be the spices used - and don't forget Tate Tatin can be made with vegetables as well as fruit. But really, the point of the Cookalong is to try out new dishes or techniques. I'd rather it was kept open for folk to Cookalong with any Tarte Tatin and if they can make it festive all the better. This isn't a competition after all.

As for caramelising then that can be done in vegetable fat/oil - and for savoury, caramelising there are a range of options all of which are vegan.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the suggestions - any new suggestions will be logged for future use. The dish which has had most mentions seems to be Tarte Tatin which is a classic French tart. As it can be sweet or savoury and vegan if required I reckon its the best choice as its very flexible. And if members can produce a festive Christmas Tarte Tatin, all the better. I'll post a new thread to start the Cookalong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom