Recipe Summer Squash Curry with Mint

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
11:54 AM
I've been using up the last of the summer squash given to me by a neighbour. Its a very pretty affair with green and yellow stripes and tastes similar to vegetable marrow. I've used vegetable marrow in curries before (it pairs very well with fish). Its delicate flesh absorbs flavours rather well.

20170923_135939.jpg

Ingredients (serves 2 to 3)
400g summer squash or vegetable marrow chopped into chunks.
1 medium onion, chopped
2 tbsp oil
1/2 a 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
2 tsp garlic paste
2 tsp ginger paste
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp brown mustard seeds
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp whole white peppercorns (you can substitute black peppercorns)
1/2 tsp hot chilli powder
Salt to taste
A handful of fresh mint leaves

Method
  1. Fry the chopped onion slowly in oil until golden brown.
  2. Add the mustard seeds, turn up the heat and wait until they pop.
  3. Add the garlic and ginger paste and fry gently for a few minutes, adding a little water if required.
  4. Grind the peppercorns and add them to the pan, together with all the other spices,
  5. Add the chopped tomatoes and heat the sauce through.
  6. Add the squash or marrow and simmer gently for 20 minutes or until it becomes tender.
  7. Chop the mint leaves and add to the curry just before serving, retaining some leaves to garnish.
  8. Serve with rice or naan bread and dhal.
20170923_140911.jpg

Last edited:
I could definitely substitute spuds for the squash which would bring it into my sphere.

I could definitely substitute spuds for the squash which would bring it into my sphere.

Or courgettes? Do you have anything like that in Thailand? I guess spuds would be interesting though. This isn't a squash as in the dense butternut type squash. Think English marrow.

Those green things on the very far left bottom look courgette like. The green things second from right on bottom look like bitter gourds (an acquired taste). I wouldn't use those!

Those green things on the very far left bottom look courgette like. The green things second from right on bottom look like bitter gourds (an acquired taste). I wouldn't use those!

Check the quoted page. I believe that every item is named correctly.

Presumably it would still work with butternut squash, though? I have a glut of them in the cupboard at the moment. I usually cook them for a bit longer than 20 minutes so they are nice and soft.

Back
Top Bottom