Recipe Sunday Brunch: Eggs Benedict & Gravlax / Smoked Salmon

Francesca

Local time
12:52 PM
The traditional classic is prepared with Canadian Bacon, however, we do not eat bacon, so we have substituted Gravlax or Smoked Salmon with Green Asparagus or Fresh Tomato over the years .. We drizzle a bit of Hollandaise on top of the poached eggs .. English Muffins are a typical way this classic is served, however, we prefer to have our´s on a small Baguette called a "Montado" .. Here is how we do it in our family ..

For Two:
The Eggs Benedict :

4 Extra Large or Large Eggs ( to be poached )
Half a bundle of fresh Green Bio Asparagus or 1 large Raf Red firm but Tender Tomato
Gravlax or Smoked Salmon ( 2 slices per person )
Salt and freshly ground pepper ( black, rose, green )
Tiny Snippets of fresh Chive herb

The Hollandaise Sauce:

3 large or extra large egg yolks
1 and 1 / 2 sticks of French butter 82 % butter fat
2 tablsps of wáter
2 tablsps of fresh squeezed lemon juice
a pinch of salt to taste

Instructions & Assemblage:

1) Firstly, toast the bread to your taste ..
2) Take 4 Spears of Green asparagus that were blanched to tender or grilled & drained and patted dry and place them on 1 side of the bread ..
3) Now, place the salmon on top ..
4) Place the poached eggs ( 2) on top of the salmon very gently so they do not break
5) Gently drizzle the Hollandaise on top of the salmon to your taste .. and sprinkle with snippets of chive ribbon herb ..

The Hollandaise Instructions:

1 ) Fill a médium size sauce pan with 2 inches of wáter and bring to a low simmer ..
2) Take a heat proof bowl that fits on the top of your saucepan without touching the wáter ..
3) Add the yolks to the bowl and the wáter and whisk to combine over the doublé boiler until frothy approx 3 to 4 minutes
4) Add salt to taste
5) Your texture should be velvety, not watery or not pasty thick either ..
6) Sprinkle the snippets of the chive on top of the Hollandaise ..

Serve with a fork and knife .. And a glass of Cava or a Champagne or Prosecco ..

Poached eggs with Hollandaise and smoked salmon is known as Eggs Royale in the UK. Its a great favourite of mine. I also like it with asparagus. Delicious.

Wikipedia:
Eggs Atlantic, Eggs Hemingway,[16] or Eggs Copenhagen (also known as Eggs Royale and Eggs Montreal in New Zealand) substitutes salmon or smoked salmon for the ham. This is a common variation found in Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the United Kingdom.[17] This is also known as "Eggs Benjamin" in some restaurants in Canada.[18

Last edited:
Poached eggs with Hollandaise and smoked salmon is known as Eggs Royale in the UK. Its a great favourite of mine. I also like it with asparagus. Delicious.

Wikipedia:
]

@morning glory

I have been a fan of this brunch dish for aeons ..

Thank you for the background naming in different continents.

For us it is Eggs Benedict with Smoked Salmon (Huevos Benidictino con Salmon Ahumado).

Have a lovely weekend ..

I love it. The first time I had it was in a modest hotel about 25 years ago. It was on the breakfast menu. I went into a sort of breakfast ecstasy!

@morning glory

The first time I had ever had Eggs Benedict with gravlax was at a travel convention in a top hotel piano bar in Manhattan, and I have never forgotten it .. It was absolutely amazing. I asked the Bartender if he could ask the Chef, for a quick mini recipe and the Chef was so honored !

It was a rainy February and it was a very slow brunch hour ..

We truly enjoy it .. It is on the menu of one of my daughter in law´s Creperie ..

Have a lovely weekend ..

12am and signing off !!

Back
Top Bottom