Super Bowl Party

Dados1950

Über Member
Local time
8:14 AM
For this of you who host a Super Bowl party...any food, drink or munchies ideas that are "outside the box" ?

Looking to get al little creative this Sunday.

NOTE...must be simple & easy.

I would do Spanish Tapas and a Paella Valenciana considering it is mostly Gents with hearty appetites watching the Match ..

All self serving with tooth picks and utensils ..

1) Patatas Bravas served with a Hot Spicy Smoked Paprika (pimentón La Vera ) salsa .. (potatoes are cubed and salsa served in a sauce boat ) ..
2) Canapés Assorted ..
3) Ensaladilla Rusia - A Tuna, Potato & Hard boiled egg Salad with ali oli - home made mayonaise ..
4) Paella Valenciana ( mixed land and sea ) .. ( Self Serving )
5) A home made Sangria ..

Just like a lot of us, we have boycotted the NFL for the lack of respect many of the players have shown for our country.:mad:

Didn't know about this. I'll have to look it up.

I take this to be a reference to the "take the knee" protest adopted by a substantial number of players. Personally, I'm in complete sympathy with them. When a country and its leaders shows such contempt and lack of respect for black people, then they do not deserve respect in the other direction.

I take this to be a reference to the "take the knee" protest adopted by a substantial number of players. Personally, I'm in complete sympathy with them. When a country and its leaders shows such contempt and lack of respect for black people, then they do not deserve respect in the other direction.

I looked it up - yes, I think that is what is meant.

The NFL revenues are down, viewership is down and sponsorship is down (main source of revenue). So far players have not been hit in the pocketbook. I have one question, how long would you stay employed if you started doing something similar as an employee? By the way, this started with one player protesting treatment of African Americans by police. The player is nolonger in the NFL. That is a local matter in the jurisdictions of police departments and not a Federal Government issue. I have said all I'm going to say about this matter.

Last edited:
Personally, I'd prefer the NFL go away entirely, as well as college football. They are boring to watch and not a big fan of the screaming and yelling that goes on with some games.

I don't agree with a good bit of what is going on in the world of politics today, but I would never dream of taking a knee. The people taking the knee are disrespecting a country that has given them incredible opportunities. Just because you don't like the current leadership/policies doesn't mean you blow off your entire country.

We don't have this in the UK @Dados1950 - so tell us, what is normal fare on this occasion? I'm thinking it means food to eat whilst watching TV?
So, back to the question...(I believe this is veering into the political realm, which we like to avoid on this friendly site).

@Francesca had some ideas that would work. Typically, it consists of small bite snacks, like chicken wings and potato skins. But, it's not necessarily just finger food. Chili, for example, would work. I credit guacamole that I had at a Superbowl party years ago with kicking off my interest in cooking (the creator asked if I wanted to know the recipe. I said I did, and the rest is history).

OK - this is an interesting debate about the NFL and politics but it has veered off topic. Probably my fault for asking what it was all about! Lets stick to the topic which I think is food which can be eaten easily whilst watching a TV football game.

My thoughts for a creative approach would be to go Indian. There are many great Indian snacks and finger foods such as Pakoras, Samosas, Chicken Tikka (skewers), onion bhaji, papadums with pickles... I could go on!

Or how about a Smörgåsboard Swedish style - like this one I made (much) earlier:

fullsizeoutput_1cb5.jpeg

Last edited:
@The Late Night Gourmet
Thank you for bring the discussion back on topic.
@morning glory - absolutely lovely.

Chili, Gumbo, stew or thick soups are go to dishes for what I consider "Guy" parties. Many of my female friends are big football fans. I would rather watch a cooking show or read a book.

I doubt that we will be attending a Super Bowl party. I will prepare some munchies for G. Not sure what. I know he wants some spinach artichoke heart dip. Maybe some nachos. Gumbo or chili for sure. We usually drink wine but I may spin up a batch of Margaritas. I will drink most of them and go to bed early. :laugh:

Chili, Gumbo, stew or thick soups are go to dishes for what I consider "Guy" parties. Many of my female friends are big football fans. I would rather watch a cooking show or read a book.

I like a bit of UK football. I'm an Arsenal and Sunderland supporter. But we don't tend to associate food with watching the match - more like a good pint or two! In light of what you say, perhaps my Smörgåsboard suggestion is off beam. India fare however can be much more substantial.

I like a bit of UK football. I'm an Arsenal and Sunderland supporter. But we don't tend to associate food with watching the match - more like a good pint or two! In light of what you say, perhaps my Smörgåsboard suggestion is off beam. India fare however can be much more substantial.
I think it has a lot to do with the time when the Superbowl is played: start time is always 6:30 p.m., which is dinner for a lot of people. So, why not have some good food to enjoy while you watch? I believe your football matches usually start early, or occasionally late for evening matches.

Back
Top Bottom