Super Bowl Party

In the UK up to about 1992, football matches usually kicked off at 3 on a Saturday afternoon or 7.30 in the evening for midweek games. However, around that time, Sky TV invented football (despite the game having existed for over 120 years) and now games can start at pretty much any time and on any day of the week depending on the whims of television. So we now have games that kick off at 12:30, 15:00 and 17:30 on Saturdays and games that start anywhere between 12 noon and 16:00 on Sundays. There is usually a game on a Monday evening and a Friday evening, solely for the benefit of TV. Then there are lots of midweek games as well. One of the pet ruses of our broadcasters is to make life as inconvenient as possible for supporters, so you'll get something like Southampton v Newcastle (a trip of about 350 miles) at one o'clock on a Sunday afternoon or such like.

For my part, beer is the choice accompaniment to watching football on TV, though somehow watching an Italian game leads itself to drinking Italian wine.

I would do Spanish Tapas and a Paella Valenciana considering it is mostly Gents with hearty appetites watching the Match ..

All self serving with tooth picks and utensils ..

1) Patatas Bravas served with a Hot Spicy Smoked Paprika (pimentón La Vera ) salsa .. (potatoes are cubed and salsa served in a sauce boat ) ..
2) Canapés Assorted ..
3) Ensaladilla Rusia - A Tuna, Potato & Hard boiled egg Salad with ali oli - home made mayonaise ..
4) Paella Valenciana ( mixed land and sea ) .. ( Self Serving )
5) A home made Sangria ..

Is there room for 2 more on your sofa :wink:

I like a bit of UK football. I'm an Arsenal and Sunderland supporter. But we don't tend to associate food with watching the match - more like a good pint or two! In light of what you say, perhaps my Smörgåsboard suggestion is off beam. India fare however can be much more substantial.

I like to watch a good game of rugby, unfortunately it has become a bit sterile the past few years and so not as exciting to watch. I have tried watching The Superbowl but have no idea of the rules so cannot understand what is going on :unsure:

So, back to the question...(I believe this is veering into the political realm, which we like to avoid on this friendly site).

@Francesca had some ideas that would work. Typically, it consists of small bite snacks, like chicken wings and potato skins. But, it's not necessarily just finger food. Chili, for example, would work. I credit guacamole that I had at a Superbowl party years ago with kicking off my interest in cooking (the creator asked if I wanted to know the recipe. I said I did, and the rest is history).

@The Late Night Gourmet

The poster had asked for some thing different which is why I suggested simply prepared Spanish classics ..

Thank you and have a nice day ..

Sunderland supporter.

Couldn't resist...

keep-calm-and-bring-on-the-mackem-slayer.png

Back
Top Bottom