Recipe Superfast Spicy Spinach and Chickpeas

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
1:05 PM
As quick as can be - this dish takes less than ten minutes to make! No chopping required. This is good served with yellow rice (Aldi’s sell a ready cooked version which takes two minutes in the microwave). I squeeze some lemon or lime juice over the rice and fork through to add flavour.

20171018_173706.jpg

Ingredients (serves 2 as a main course)
240 g washed baby spinach (I used Aldi’s ready washed)
1x 400g can of chickpeas
10 - 12 baby tomatoes, halved
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp brown mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp asafoetida
1 tsp garam masala
Salt and chilli flakes (to taste)

Method

1. Heat the oil in a large pan or wok. Add the whole spices and fry until the mustard seeds pop (this happens quickly).
  2. Immediately add the tomatoes and stir fry for 30 seconds.
  3. Add the chickpeas with a little of their liquor, turmeric, asafoetida and garam masala and stir together.
  4. Add the spinach. It seems like a lot but it will shrink. Add it in handfuls, stirring as you go.
  5. Taste and add salt as required. Add more of the chickpea liquor if you want more 'gravy'. Serve sprinkled with chilli flakes.
20171018_172848.jpg

Last edited:
As quick as can be - this dish takes less than ten minutes to make! No chopping required. This is good served with yellow rice (Aldi’s sell a ready cooked version which takes two minutes in the microwave). I squeeze some lemon or lime juice over the rice and fork through to add flavour.

View attachment 11077

Ingredients (serves 2 as a main course)
240 g washed baby spinach (I used Aldi’s ready washed)
1x 400g can of chickpeas
10 - 12 baby tomatoes, halved
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp brown mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp asafoetida
1 tsp garam masala
Salt and chilli flakes (to taste)

Method

1. Heat the oil in a large pan or wok. Add the whole spices and fry until the mustard seeds pop (this happens quickly).
  2. Immediately add the tomatoes and stir fry for 30 seconds.
  3. Add the chickpeas with a little of their liquor, turmeric, asafoetida and garam masala and stir together.
  4. Add the spinach. It seems like a lot but it will shrink. Add it in handfuls, stirring as you go.
  5. Taste and add salt as required. Add more of the chickpea liquor if you want more 'gravy'. Serve sprinkled with chilli flakes.
View attachment 11078
Looking forward to trying this!

Back
Top Bottom