Swede, Onion and Apple Bake.jpg

Serves: 2

Ingredients:

25 g butter
1 medium onion, finely sliced
75 ml white wine or apple juice
200 g swede, peeled and finely sliced
1 sweet apple, cored and finely sliced
Handful of dried fruit (I used sultanas)
Plain yoghurt, cream, or custard to serve

Method:
  1. Preheat your oven to 180C/160 fan/350F/gas mark 4).
  2. Melt the butter in a small pan, reduce the heat and add the onion slices. Cook for 15-20 minutes until the onion is just starting to brown and crisp. (Add a splash of water if the onion looks like it is catching and burning.)
  3. Add the white wine or apple juice, and cook for a further 2 minutes.
  4. Layer the onion, apple and swede in a baking dish, finishing with a layer of swede.
  5. Cover and bake for 45 minutes.
  6. Add the dried fruit, and cook uncovered for a further 15 minutes.
  7. Serve hot or cold with yoghurt, cream or custard.
Notes:
  1. This can also be used as an accompaniment to pork, in which case substitute 50g grated cheese for the dried fruit in step 6 and ignore step 7.
  2. This was adapted from a Riverford recipe for a savoury Swede, Leek and Apple Bake.

Last edited:
Well that is interesting - swede (rutabaga) is of course quite sweet but I've never seen it combined with apples. I can see that could be very good. :okay:

Well that is interesting - swede (rutabaga) is of course quite sweet but I've never seen it combined with apples. I can see that could be very good. :okay:
It was very sweet (to me); that's why I had mine with yoghurt. The recipe certainly didn't need any sugar. It's nice as a savoury dish too, although I used leeks instead of onions (a Riverford recipe, which I have now mentioned in the notes to my recipe).

Did you use a regular yellow (brown) onion? This looks like it comes together something like an apple crumble (minus the crumble, and plus onions). I think I can see how the apple, sultanas, and juice/wine could make it sweet. Very inventive!

Did you use a regular yellow (brown) onion? This looks like it comes together something like an apple crumble (minus the crumble, and plus onions). I think I can see how the apple, sultanas, and juice/wine could make it sweet. Very inventive!
Yes, I did use a regular onion. When us in the UK talk about onions, that is what we mean. I had the official version with leeks etc a couple of weeks or so ago, but because of the leeks it only had a hint of sweetness. Your challenge gave me the idea of substituting onion for the leeks.

Back
Top Bottom