Recipe Sweet and Sour Chicken

classic33

Legendary Member
Local time
10:32 AM
Dug out my old Scout Camp Cook Book. There may be more to follow
This is a very easy to make Chinese dish - as long as you follow the instructions!​
Equipment needed :
· 1 frying pan,
· 1 saucepan, quite big,
· 2 wooden spoons,
· a chopping board,
· a sharp knife,
· some bowls to eat out of.

Food you should have :
· A bag of chicken strips
· Some onions
· A jar of sweet & sour sauce
· Some packets of noodles

Method :
Heat up a LITTLE oil in a frying pan, and put in one bag of chicken strips, stir it occasionally.
While the chicken is cooking chop up an onion into strips.
When ALL the chicken is white, then put the onion in the frying pan. Stir it occasionally
While the onion is cooking, heat up another pan with water in until it boils.
When the water is boiling put in the noodles, one block of noodles for each 2 people, start timing!! (they need 4 mins to cook)
Now that you have the noodles cooking, your onions should be almost cooked, so put in some sweet and sour sauce out of the jar.
Stir it all around, and with a different spoon try to break up the noodles………..is 4 minutes up yet??
When your noodles are cooked, (make sure they don't lose any noodles!!)
Share out the noodles into bowls, so there is enough for everyone in your group.
Now share out the sweet and sour chicken in the same way!
Eat it, but are you brave enough to do it with chopsticks??

It looks like your recipe is very simple at the outset but looking deeper, it become complicated. But I would like to have a taste of that sweet and sour chicken. I can imagine the onion. But maybe when I would cook that, I would be adding crushed ginger to deaden the fishy taste of raw chicken. We call it fishy taste because that taste is similar to fish when it was not cleaned very well. Over here, the most popular sweet and sour dish is the sweet and sour pork, Chinese style. It is being served in some fastfood outlets.

Most will have been entered into the book to get them thinking about cooking only from cans, whilst on camp.
Best I saw was a 50lb turkey being cooked, on a campfire.

This sounds like a great and simple recipe for camping. I am always looking for new ideas. Just the other day I found the one for.grilled rice and now this one for sweet and sour chicken. They will go great together and an awesome meal for a future camping trip. I am loving this site. There are so many great ideas.

I look forward to the others to follow. How did I even miss this? I am completely taken in my the 'delivery' of the recipe. Was this taken from the Scouts Camp Book verbatim?

I look forward to the others to follow. How did I even miss this? I am completely taken in my the 'delivery' of the recipe. Was this taken from the Scouts Camp Book verbatim?
It's made it's way into various Scout & Guide cookbooks. Often just handwritten or typed versions being used.

This from a handwritten one passed to me in the early 90's.

Last edited:
Gosh, another old thread revived! What's going on here? Not that there is anything wrong with that but its weird when a whole year elapses between posts! This is the second example I've come across.

Anyway, I wonder if the current cookbooks for scouts/guides have similar recipes. Are there even such things as current guide/scout cookbooks?

Gosh, another old thread revived! What's going on here? Not that there is anything wrong with that but its weird when a whole year elapses between posts! This is the second example I've come across.

Anyway, I wonder if the current cookbooks for scouts/guides have similar recipes. Are there even such things as current guide/scout cookbooks?
Scout Cookbook
Scout Cookbook.jpg

And in this day and age, there's even an app for that

51JzutS0IfL._SX385_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I just bought this on Amazon. Only a few quid for a used copy. I should receive it in a few days. It looks quite interesting! As one reviewer says:
If you are expecting this book to be just run of the mill stuff...well it's not! The book is overseen and partly written by a Scouter who is also a professional chef but it also includes loads of recipes from celebrities from Peter Duncan to James May, from Levi Roots to Richard Branson, from Bear Grylls to Bonita Harris.
I also thought @sidevalve may be interested as it features the egg in an orange, see Breakfast on an open fire!

About the author:
Nick Allen is a professional chef who has been involved in Scouts from the age of six. Currently a sous chef at the Dorchester Group's Coworth Park Hotel, when he's not running the kitchen of Michelin-starred executive chef John Campbell, he is often to be found cooking eggs in oranges over an open fire at Scout camp. As Assistant Scout Leader, he has traveled the world on Scouting expeditions, and cooked at many a jamboree.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom