Guru
Local time
2:07 AM
Sweetcorn Dhansak.jpg

Serves: 2-3
Prep. time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes

Ingredients:

200 g greens - spinach, chard, or summer greens, leaves stripped from their stalks
Oil for frying, e.g. sunflower
1 onion, red or white, peeled and diced
2 sweetcorn cobs
30 g coriander, leaves and stalks chopped separately
1-2 large or 2-3 small garlic cloves, according to taste, peeled and finely chopped
25 g fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
1-2 chillies, according to taste, finely chopped
1 tsp black mustard seeds
1 tbsp curry powder
4 tomatoes, diced
100 g red lentils, rinsed in a sieve
2 tbsp mango chutney
1 tin coconut milk
Juice of 1 lime
Salt

Method:
  1. Boil the greens until just wilted, drain, refresh in cold water, then drain again and chop.
  2. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large saucepan. Fry the onion on a low heat for 10 minutes, stirring now and then.
  3. Peel the papery husks away from the corn cobs and discard them along with any stringy bits ('the silk'). Cut the kernels off by standing the cob on end and using a sharp knife to cut downwards.
  4. Add the coriander stalks, garlic, ginger, chilli, mustard seeds and curry powder to the onion. Cook for 2 minutes.
  5. Add the tomatoes, lentils, mango chutney and coconut milk to the mixture. Refill the coconut tin with water; add that, and season with salt.
  6. Bring the pan to a low boil. Cook for 10 minutes, then add the corn.
  7. Cook for a further 5-10 minutes, until the corn is just tender and the lentils soft (they will almost 'melt' into the curry), Then stir the chopped greens into the curry, along with three quarters of the coriander leaves.
  8. Add lime juice to taste and check the seasoning. Sprinkle over the remaining coriander leaves.
  9. Serve with flatbreads, or rice, and yoghurt.
Notes:
  1. Recipe courtesy of Riverford (www.riverford.co.uk), and adapted very slightly.
  2. Photo mine - sorry for the poor quality.
  3. Freezes well.

Not for me personally as I dislike sweetcorn and I'm intolerant of coconut - but this is a great vegan recipe and would be perfect to make for my son.

Back
Top Bottom