Tamarind

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
8:39 AM
Apparently, tamarind is classified as a fruit. Notwithstanding that, I've never seen it in this form until my wife brought some home last evening. I shall investigate further.............

tamarind s.jpg

I have the whole tamarind but in a dry pod (the inside is sticky brown pulp). These look like young green tamarinds which as you say, have been pickled. I\ll bet they are delicious! I'll photograph mine later.

Tamarind is a fantastic ingredient.

I like bitter tamarind néctar ! I buy it in a Dominican Latin Kiosk at the La Boqueria .. I have only seen it in Bark Form, Sweet Paste Form Imported and as a Néctar ..

Never fresh Green format ..

Interesting ..

I've been wondering if it could be de-seeded and pureed? Although what it could be used for I haven't a clue.

I've been wondering if it could be de-seeded and pureed? Although what it could be used for I haven't a clue.

Tamarind paste is used in curry - but that is the tamarind paste made from inner parts of the mature seed pods. I will post the photos I took yesterday - I made some paste from scratch.

Sorry - these are some of the worst photos I ever took! The tamarind is produce of Thailand.

20171022_134415.jpg

20171022_134445.jpg

20171022_134817.jpg

20171022_135120.jpg

You then soak the seeds and rub off the soft parts and sieve. Its very laborious. Easier to buy ready made paste or blocks of tamarind.

20171022_144610.jpg

I'm not sure if I've related this story before but I'll tell it again anyway.

Gambling, except for the government organised lottery, is illegal in Thailand.

A few years ago, there was a gambling "den" in our village which was raided by the police. The gamblers, three youngish guys and two old ladies were betting upon how many seeds were in tamarind pods (you are permitted to shake the pod). The police arrived and the three guys took off like rabbits leaving the two old ladies to face the music alone (rabbits they were not). Any money found was confiscated and one of the old ladies, anticipating a Bht 2,000.00 (c. US$60.00) fine, persuaded the police to allow her to ask the fat lady in the restaurant opposite for a loan. Now the fat lady wanted nothing to do with this palava, particularly as she actually ran an illegal lottery in the village. Anyway, the fat lady made herself scarce and subsequently, the two old ladies were ushered into back of the police pick-up and transported into town.

So, there you go. Another use for tamarind.

tamarind.jpg

My wife's mate is coming around later (or tomorrow) for some of it. I shall ask her what she, or more than likely her mother, is going to do with it.

Back
Top Bottom