Recipe Tambor de Maiz (Cuban Corn & Chicken Pie)

CraigC

Guru
Local time
3:17 PM
Adapted From "Memories of a Cuban Kitchen."
Tambor de Maiz/Cuban corn and chicken pie

Ingredients
One 2-3 pound chicken cut into pieces and skin removed (we've used all thighs before when we didn't want to mess with a whole chicken)
salt and pepper to taste
2 tblsp fresh lime juice
1/2 cup spanish olive oil
2 medium-sized onions, finely chopped
2 medium-sized green peppers, seeded, finely chopped
3 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 cups drained and chopped canned tomatoes
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/2 cup chopped, drained pimientos
1/2 cup dry sherry
1/2 cup pimento-stuffed green olives, drained and chopped
2 tblsp capers (the small ones)
3 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels (defrosted if frozen)
1 cup milk
1 tsp salt
1 tblsp sugar
6 large egg yoks (I usually use 2 yolks and 2 whole eggs unless I need egg whites for something else)
1 cup grated muenster cheese

Directions
1) Wash and pat dry chicken pieces. Season liberally with salt, pepper and lime juice.
2) In a large, heavy-bottomed casserole or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat until fragrant. 3) Cook the chicken pieces, turning occasionally, until golden brown and transfer to plate to cool to room temperature.
4) Using the same pan, adding a little more oil if necessary, add onions, bell peppers and garlic, cook over low heat until tender, stirring occasionally, about 6-8 minutes.
5) Add the tomatoes and cook, strring occasionally, another 15-20 minutes. Measure out 1 cup of tomato mixture and set aside.
6) To the remaining mixture, add the cumin, pimientos, sherry, olives, and capers. Cover and simmer over low heat 35 minutes, stirring occasionally. If sauce is watery, reduce until thickened over medium-high heat. Remove the sauce from the heat.
7) When the chicken is cool enough to handle, pull off bone and shred into bite size pieces. Add the chicken pieces to the tomato sauce and mix thoroughly. (Recipe can be made thru this point and refrigerated to finish up next day).
8) Preheat oven to 350. Lightly oil a 3-quart baking dish. (See alternative below)
9) In a food processor or blender, process the corn kernels until pureed.
10) In a medium-size saucepan over medium-low heat, combine the corn with the milk, salt, pepper, sugar, and the reserved cup of tomato sauce and cook, uncovered, until the mixture is thick, 20-25 minutes, stirring frequently. It will scorch if not stirred or temp is too high. Remove from the heat, add in the eggs, mix thoroughly, and allow to cool slightly.
11) Spread half the corn mixture on the bottom of the baking dish and pat down with your fingers.
12)Cover with entire chicken mixture and top with remaining corn mixture.
13) Bake 40-45 minutes. Remove from oven, sprinkle with cheese and bake an additional 5 minutes (or so) until cheese melts. Serve hot or warm.

ALTERNATIVE: If making same day, leave the chicken mixture in the pan you cooked it in and top with all of corn mixture.

Last edited:
This is a very unusual recipe (to me). It was at this point I became bewildered:

Add the chicken pieces to the tomato sauce and blend thoroughly.

I've never heard of blending chicken in a tomato sauce (or possibly any sauce). And this sauce has pimientos, sherry, olives, and capers in it before its blended. Then the corn is also pureed. I'm struggling to visualise this dish! Please forgive me but it doesn't sound like any pie I've ever come across. Anyway, I may be missing the point somewhere.:)

I got curious and just found this version which doesn't puree the chicken - this makes more sense to me.

Screen Shot 2018-01-14 at 14.43.57.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-14 at 14.44.06.png

This is a very unusual recipe (to me). It was at this point I became bewildered:

I've never heard of blending chicken in a tomato sauce (or possibly any sauce). And this sauce has pimientos, sherry, olives, and capers in it before its blended. Then the corn is also pureed. I'm struggling to visualise this dish! Please forgive me but it doesn't sound like any pie I've ever come across. Anyway, I may be missing the point somewhere.:)

The chicken doesn't go in the blender with the sauce. By blend I meant mix into the sauce. I have edited the recipe to prevent any more confusion.

I thought it was Ok just to post the title in Spanish as the recipe below mine has the title in Spanish only. Sorry.

Last edited:
The chicken doesn't go in the blender with the sauce. By blend I meant mix into the sauce. I have edited the recipe to prevent any more confusion.

I thought it was Ok just to post the title in Spanish as the recipe below mine has the title in Spanish only. Sorry.

OK! I read it as if the chicken went in the blender - no wonder I got confused! :laugh:

The recipe now makes sense and I would probably quite like it save for the fact I'm not a corn fan (too sweet for me) - the chicken and sauce sound great though.

Back
Top Bottom