Recipe Tasso

CraigC

Guru
Local time
9:57 PM
This is the recipe I use when making tasso, courtesy of Emeril Lagasse. Note that this is for 2-1/2 pounds and I usually make a minimum of 8-9 pounds at a time. I'll put that much in a 2 gallon freezer bag for the curing process. You can use tasso with all the spices on, but if you have a low tolerance for spicy food, you might want to rinse off the spices before use.

Ingredients
2 Tbsp kosher salt
4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1-1/2 Tbsp cayenne pepper
5 Tbsp paprika
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1-1/2 tsp onion powder
2-1/2 pounds lean pork butt, cut into 1" thick slices, 4-5 ounces each.

Directions
1) Combine all ingredients except pork in a shallow bowl and mix well.
2) Dredge each slice of pork in spice mixture, using your fingers, press spice mixture well into each piece. Place pieces into appropriate size plastic bags and refrigerate for 7 days, turning bag over each day.
3) Prepare smoker for 250F cooking temperature, place room temperature slices on grate and smoke on one side only for 20 minutes. Remove and let cool.
4) Vacuum pack in approximately 1/2 pound packages and freeze.

I was for some reason expecting this recipe to be for a whole ham which would be sliced after smoking. Is it usual to slice it first?

BTW if you do an image search for Tasso you get lots of pictures of badgers!

The tasso is prepped and in the bag. Next weekend it hits the smoker.:okay:

36788-albums1069-picture7487.jpg

36788-albums1069-picture7488.jpg

I was for some reason expecting this recipe to be for a whole ham which would be sliced after smoking. Is it usual to slice it first?

It is from the shoulder/butt and not the ham. It is sliced, as described in the recipe, cured and smoked.

Yes, you slice it first. It is not really a ham, as they come from opposite ends of the pig. Keep in mind, Tasso is not something you eat as-is. It is used as a flavoring ingredient -- somewhat like putting bacon into beans.

CD

This is the recipe I use when making tasso, courtesy of Emeril Lagasse. Note that this is for 2-1/2 pounds and I usually make a minimum of 8-9 pounds at a time. I'll put that much in a 2 gallon freezer bag for the curing process. You can use tasso with all the spices on, but if you have a low tolerance for spicy food, you might want to rinse off the spices before use.

Ingredients
2 Tbsp kosher salt
4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1-1/2 Tbsp cayenne pepper
5 Tbsp paprika
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1-1/2 tsp onion powder
2-1/2 pounds lean pork butt, cut into 1" thick slices, 4-5 ounces each.

Directions
1) Combine all ingredients except pork in a shallow bowl and mix well.
2) Dredge each slice of pork in spice mixture, using your fingers, press spice mixture well into each piece. Place pieces into appropriate size plastic bags and refrigerate for 7 days, turning bag over each day.
3) Prepare smoker for 250F cooking temperature, place room temperature slices on grate and smoke on one side only for 20 minutes. Remove and let cool.
4) Vacuum pack in approximately 1/2 pound packages and freeze.

That's not much salt. Ruhlman's recipe uses kosher salt and pink salt. It is cured in that, then rinsed and seasoned for smoking.

CD

That's not much salt. Ruhlman's recipe uses kosher salt and pink salt. It is cured in that, then rinsed and seasoned for smoking.

CD

The cure/seasoning stays on the meat for the entire time in this recipe. For 2.5 pounds of meat, 2 Tbsp is plenty.

As for Rhulman's, I can't imagine 4 hours in a salt/sugar cure doing much to the meat in terms of curing, and then seasoning and going directly to smoking giving much flavor to the meat, not to mention using allspice as part of the seasoning.

We made Ruhlman's andouille once. Weirdest tasting andouille we've ever had. Should have known since the seasoning included mace, cloves and allspice.

We've made several cured meats out of Charcuterie. Some have been great, some okay, some weird tasting, and at least 1 that was inedibly salty for us.

Oh, the cure is from Emeril's Real and Rustic cowritten with Marcelle Bienvenu.

Last edited:
The cure/seasoning stays on the meat for the entire time in this recipe. For 2.5 pounds of meat, 2 Tbsp is plenty.

As for Rhulman's, I can't imagine 4 hours in a salt/sugar cure doing much to the meat in terms of curing, and then seasoning and going directly to smoking giving much flavor to the meat, not to mention using allspice as part of the seasoning.

We made Ruhlman's andouille once. Weirdest tasting andouille we've ever had. Should have known since the seasoning included mace, cloves and allspice.

We've made several cured meats out of Charcuterie. Some have been great, some okay, some weird tasting, and at least 1 that was inedibly salty for us.

Oh, the cure is from Emeril's Real and Rustic cowritten with Marcelle Bienvenu.
Very interesting. I am seeing a wide variety of different ways to prepare meats well beyond the old reliable salt and pepper. It's fun trying different combinations. This is why I really want to make Hemulen's Finnish take on ceviche. Emeril's ingredients in CraigC's recipe look rock solid, so I have no doubt it would be amazing, especially after smoking.

Back
Top Bottom