Recipe Tater Tots Masala

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
10:07 AM
Inspired by this post and the thread: Tater Tots, I experimented. Well OK, I just added a whole load of spices! I made this for my vegan son so the aioli is made with aquafaba. I used just one potato, so the recipe makes a small starter for one.

fullsizeoutput_2d0b.jpeg

Ingredients
(makes 6 Tater Tots)
1 medium/large baking potato
1/2 tsp each of coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds
1/2 tsp each of garam masala and hot chilli powder
Salt to taste
Vegetable oil for frying

Method
  1. Pierce the potato in a few places and microwave on high until nearly cooked through approx. 6 mins. (times will vary according to size of potato and your microwave wattage).
  2. Allow the potato to cool slightly and peel. Grate into a bowl.
  3. Dry fry the coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds until they begin to give off their aroma (a few minutes). Place in a spice grinder or pestle and mortar and reduce to a powder.
  4. Add all the spices to the potato and mix well. Add salt to taste.
  5. Form the mixture into balls and then roll them into chunky cylinders between your hands.
  6. Heat oil in a saucepan or deep-fat fryer and deep fry the Tater Tots until browned.

Coriander/fenugreek/cumin:
fullsizeoutput_2cff.jpeg fullsizeoutput_2d03.jpeg

Garam masala and chilli powder:
fullsizeoutput_2d01.jpeg

Spices mixed into potato:
fullsizeoutput_2d06.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2d09.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2d14.jpeg

Last edited:
I thought that... but it wasn't overpowering. I prepared that amount as its easier to do a larger amount for the spice grinder. I added half, tasted it - then put the whole lot in!

I understand what you mean. If the recipe also requires pre-ground spices (e.g paprika, chili powder, turmeric or salt) I put those in the grinder with the seeds and whip them all up together.

That is a lot of spices for one potato! (IMO)
Gulp! I just realised I made a mistake - I used a 1/2 tsp. measure not 1 tsp. (new measuring spoons and bad eyesight!). I just checked by putting 1/2 tsp of spices in the same dish as in the photo to compare.

I'll amend the recipe!

Back
Top Bottom