Recipe Tatin of Aubergine & Honey (Tatin de Berenjena a la miel)

Francesca

Local time
6:50 AM
In Madrid until Monday.

This recipe, by coincidence, found its way to our table, and a tiny Tavern, located close to the Plaza Mayor, in the neighborhood of La Latina, on Cava Alta, in an oaky, rustic tiny haven for gourmets and syabrites alike.

Tatin of Aubergine / Eggplant with Honey .. Taberna Matrium - Madrid ..

Elaboration: 50 minutes - Translated into English from Spanish ..

2 Small violet black aubergines or eggplants
1 sheet of pastry - that you would use for a French Quiche
1 large tablespoon or soup spoon of Honey with Flowers
5 tablesps. of Bio Extra Virgin Green Olive Oil of Choice
Salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper
Serve with: A blonde sparkling wine of choice ..
1 sweet onion (red or yellow) in arcs
1 médium firm red tomato sliced finely and de seeded

1) Pre heat the oven to 180 Degrees Centigrade ..
2) In a large glass bowl, place the Evoo and the honey and 2 tableps of sparkling semi sweet White wine or Moscatel.
3) Slice the aubergines in rounds and sauté in Evoo until Golden. Then in separate skillet, sautée the onion arcs just slightly and the tomato ( do not cook too long - just until slightly tender ..
4) Drain the rounds thoroughly and place on a tray covered with kitchen paper towelling.
5) Take your "mold" or quiche baking pan, and distribute the marinated drained aubergine slices in the baking dish. Top with the drained onions sporadically and the tomato slices
6) Salt and pepper to taste ..
7) Place the pastry sheet, on top of the baking vessel or baking pan or mold, and créate a rim or border with the assistance of a fork and roll toward the interior the rim or border to provide a closure and a Little depth to the tatin or pie ..
8) Place the Tatin or Pie, into the oven for 30 to 35 minutes minutes until Golden.
9) Take a tooth pick or medal or a fine pointy knife and check doneness carefully and gently.
10) Let cool for easy handling and take a plate and turn the baking pan onto the plate so that the pie is upside down with the aubergine side on top .. Add extra salt and pepper if needed ..

tatin de berengena a la miel.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Francesca

That looks lovely.
From what I can see, it appears to have onion in it as well? Is that the case.?
It looks lovely and is great to see the two ideas together!
The pastry, was it savoury and thicker. I'm guessing so if you easy for a quiche. That would be a shortcrust pastry.

I was thinking that a filo pastry, something that is nice and crisp would work really well, to help counter the aubergine absorbing the olive oil,

Anyhow it looks wonderful and has given me a few ideas for our Christmas day menu!

Thank you.

@SatNavSaysStraightOn

There was a small amount of sliced tomato and sweet red onion, called a Calçot which is a spring onion sort of with dangling sphericals and they are Catalan indigenious onions .. They are quite large .. Forgot .. Have had many meals since !!

Sorry but restaurant was very low keyed on lighting so photograph has poor resolution .. The Chef said, he used a Quiche Pastry short crust pastry .. and all paired very nicely ..

A phyllo could be quite wonderful too .. It was quite delicious .. My husband and I shared it .. We sliced it like one would a pizza ..

Pleased you like it !!! Have a lovely weekend ..

Last edited:
@morning glory

I really do not know .. It was taken with a digital camera .. Maybe when it was uploaded to the lap top or the camera itself ..

Have a nice evening .. We are going to have a hot Chocolate at the Hotel Bar ..

Back
Top Bottom