Tea Sandwiches?

Rosyrain

Veteran
Local time
6:18 PM
I am going to be having a couple of friends over next week with their kids, so that all of the little ones can have a play date and I am sick of sticking chips and other fatty snacks on the table for everyone. I am looking for some interesting tea sandwich suggestions if anyone has any.

A tea sandwich can be any kind of sandwich, just made very small. I think cucumber is a traditional one, cucumber and cream cheese if I'm not mistaken. But there is no reason why you can't make tiny PB&J, ham, turkey, bacon, whatever it is your friends will like. The tiny aspect will be cute and entertaining regardless of what kind you do.

I have some combinations:

cream cheese, salami, tomato
cream cheese, smoked salmon, cucumber

I'd be interested to hear of more good combinations too, if anyone has them!

If I were coming to a tea party and someone asked me what kind of sandwich I wanted to eat I'd say make mini club sandwiches. As a second choice I'd go for turkey and avocado, as a third maybe tuna salad. I see no reason why you'd have to go traditional if you don't want to, cucumber sandwiches are alright but not to everyone's taste.

Why not do a selection of savoury and sweet sandwiches? Stick to traditional fillings such as cheese, ham, turkey and PBJ (you know how fussy kids can be!) and cut them up small.

The idea of turkey and avacado sound really good as well as the salmon and cream cheese. I would probably add some chopped up green onion to the cream cheese to make it taste even better. I think I will make some PB&J sandwiches for the kids (and maybe even peanut butter and Nutella ones too) and cut them out with winter themed cookie cutters!

If you are serving tea along with the sandwiches, then it's dependent upon the tea. A sweetened black tea would work well with a tuna sandwich. A green tea would work well with a cucumber sandwich. An orange or citrus tea would work well with a more hearty small sandwich like a roast beef sandwhich. However, if you're not also serving tea with the tiny sandwiches, then really anything is fair game.

I've recently discovered ham, coleslaw and jalapeno pepper sandwiches, which are absolutely delicious. Other favourites include prawn and avocado and cream cheese and strawberry.

I'm not really a tea or sandwich expert so I wouldn't know what sandwich goes best with what tea. But I think your guests would appreciate it if you serve sandwiches that they like. Maybe it would be a good idea to ask them for ideas and what their favorites are? If all else fails, try simple combinations and ingredients like tuna, cheese, meats and other spreads they might like. Sometimes it's the simpler the better, right? Good luck!

I like to keep things traditional with cucumber on butter with salt and pepper or egg salad done the English way with the egg mashed up in butter instead of mayonnaise. I once invited a friend to a traditional afternoon tea in New York and she neglected to tell me she was lactose intolerant. She couldn't eat one single thing I had prepared and sat there all afternoon with a cup of black tea.

Since January, I am hoping Rosyrain got the guest some nice sandwiches. What I'll say though is that I really took some of the tips for myself. I am not big on preparing small sandwiches and the like. I don't mind eating them but there is so much work involved I'd much prefer to cook. The last time I was asked to prepare finger foods I made up stuff as I went along.

roasted chicken and turn into coronation chicken
serrano ham and mascarpone
watercress and grated mature cheddar
salt beef and whole grain mustard,
club sandwich in mayonnaise ,fine cut eggs bacon and chicken
Those sound really good actually. The only teas I like art green tea, black tea, and cinnamon tea. I have never developed a taste for the fruity teas for some reason. Just like with coffee, the more simple and plain the better.

Back
Top Bottom