Tea Towels and Hand Towels in the Kitchen

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
3:59 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I'm curious what others do with regards to tea-towels (for pots and plates) and hand towels (for drying of hands) in the kitchen and as to how often you replace them and put them out for washing?

Tea-towels get replaced about twice a week in this household. We have 2 or 3 in use at any one time, so its not like they get used all the time everyday.

The sole hand towel is a problem and something I need to deal with, not helped by the fact that it is actually (originally) white! :ohmy: Not a good colour imo. It has stained itself a grey colour and looks permanently dirty even though it was soaked in bleach last week! :wacky:

I'm curious what others do with regards to tea-towels (for pots and plates) and hand towels (for drying of hands) in the kitchen and as to how often you replace them and put them out for washing?

Tea-towels get replaced about twice a week in this household. We have 2 or 3 in use at any one time, so its not like they get used all the time everyday.

The sole hand towel is a problem and something I need to deal with, not helped by the fact that it is actually (originally) white! :ohmy: Not a good colour imo. It has stained itself a grey colour and looks permanently dirty even though it was soaked in bleach last week! :wacky:

We just use one tea-towel at a time and dry hands on that. I often replace it every day if I'm cooking a lot. Never occurred to me to use a hand towel in the kitchen. I can't see why..:scratchhead:. I buy new tea-towels when they start getting grey and stained. After all, they are quite cheap. We have a dishwasher, so don't dry very much by hand.

We do not have a tea towel, but we do have a hand towel. Our hand towel gets replaced every day because there are like five of us in the household. My mom doesn't like keeping the towel for days because they become stinky.

My towel gets replaced every other day as soon as it gets dirty or someone throws it on the floor to pick up a spill. I can have two towels in the kitchen at a time to help with the mess made in the kitchen. Some times when the towels get beyond repair or cleaning I just throw them out and get new ones because they do not cost that much to replace.

We usually keep 2 towels in use in the kitchen at a time. These are usually hand towels. They are used alternately, and after about a week or two, they would be washed and replaced. Generally we do not wipe our pots and pans, but turn them over to dry on their own. The same can be said for plates, bowls and cups. They are just left in the drain board long enough to dry off, and then put away. If a plate is needed to be used when still wet, it would be dried off with a paper towel.

At home we have a hand towel on the Rayburn handle and tea towels on a hook,there are also hand paper towels and kitchen rolls,both linen items are replaced every day ,I could not dry my hands in a tea clothe and then dry cutlery or such like ,most people are unaware of how to really clean their hands properly ,so aiding the cross contamination process
Due to the poor hygiene nature of tea towels some eho inspectors in certain places of the world ban hand drying of any thing,even glasses because of any risk caused by the clothes

We don't use tea towels, but I have handmade pot holders that my grandmother made for me. I think we use them the same way you use tea towels. I don't wash them after every use because often they are just used for moving hot pots or even used as trivets. I can just throw them in the washing machine if they do get dripped or spilled on. We always have at least one, usually 2 hand towels hanging in the kitchen. They get changed every day as our kitchen is the hub of activity in the house. Before I go to bed every night I make sure the sink is empty and I use that day's hand towel to dry the sink one last time, then throw the towel in the laundry. I have a whole drawer full of them, some are older and a bit worn, and I do have some that I reserve for special occasions that look a little nicer.

Your are not allowed to wash your hands from the outside in my kitchen, you go to the bathroom to do that. A person cooking in the kitchen can wash their hands of course and use the towel but to have a person come from outside and wash in my sink gets a very loud scream from me. I have seen people even spit in their kitchen sink and then ask if I wanted something to eat at their house, a very polite no thank you was the answer.

I use paper towels like they are out of style. I often comment that we waste them around here. I use a hand towel on the odd occasion. Someone here spoke of reusable towels but I am yet to see those.

Last edited:
Tea towels and hand towels are used quite a bit on a daily basis with 4 people living in my house. I normally replace and wash them every couple of days to make sure the germs stay away. I have learned never to buy white towels as they get stained no matter how hard I try to keep this from happening. It is just a sad reality in my house. I now only buy bold colored towels...and they brighten up the kitchen.

In a proffesional kitchen all the sinks have a purpose,one for hand washing,one for food washing ,and one for pot washing etc they are labeled to this end ,and you try very hard to stick to it,you would not want to wash lettuce in a sink that has just had the carbon off the sink tops scrapped off ,and before you say it ,it would be well cleaned but as we all know cross contamination is the highest source of food poisoning and so we try to avoid it

In a proffesional kitchen all the sinks have a purpose,one for hand washing,one for food washing ,and one for pot washing etc they are labeled to this end ,and you try very hard to stick to it,you would not want to wash lettuce in a sink that has just had the carbon off the sink tops scrapped off ,and before you say it ,it would be well cleaned but as we all know cross contamination is the highest source of food poisoning and so we try to avoid it
Appreciated. I can see that in a professional kitchen you have to be ultra aware. But does this mean that domestic kitchens should ideally have three sinks?!! I'm afraid I'm just not fussy at all about who uses the sink for what purpose - though obviously I rinse out the sink between uses. I do use paper towels though (too much, like @winterybella) to mop up spills.

Appreciated. I can see that in a professional kitchen you have to be ultra aware. But does this mean that domestic kitchens should ideally have three sinks?!! I'm afraid I'm just not fussy at all about who uses the sink for what purpose - though obviously I rinse out the sink between uses. I do use paper towels though (too much, like @winterybella) to mop up spills.
Even a lot of domestic kitchens have a double sink , do one to wash up in and one to wash food in,I try to use the down stairs toilet to wash my hands

Back
Top Bottom