Tea Towels and Hand Towels in the Kitchen

I hand wash my dishes. One dishcloth per sink full of dishes. Unless something is really horrible then more. Another dishcloth for cleaning off surfaces. Hand towels for drying at least 2 out at all times. More if needed.
When the small basket gets full, I do the laundry including all the pot holders. Usually once a week.

We generally use 1 tea towel a day, the hand towel is changed every couple of days (there are only 2 of us) kitchen towel to mop up any spills.

I was brought up in a household that religiously had hand towels for hands and tea towels for drying dishes. Recently I was amazed to find that my household seems to be in the minority. If this true I am horrified. In our household my wife conforms to my upbringing but this has brought her into conflict with her own extended family. Am I alone in this?

I was brought up in a household that religiously had hand towels for hands and tea towels for drying dishes. Recently I was amazed to find that my household seems to be in the minority. If this true I am horrified. In our household my wife conforms to my upbringing but this has brought her into conflict with her own extended family. Am I alone in this?
Eek - I think I was brought up that way too. But now I only use tea-towels in the kitchen.

I only have tea-towels in the kitchen and use them for wiping my hands, unless they are clean off the washing line or out of the drawer, in which case they can be used for wiping cups or covering rising bread dough. Otherwise I use a small washing up sponge to wash worktops and paper towels to dry them. I have a 1+1/2 sink unit. The main sink has a bowl in it for any hand washing up, although the sink without the bowl is sometimes used to wash animal dishes, after which it is cleaned religiously. The 1/2 sink is used for washing hands, or rinsing anything under the tap that does not require immersing in water, and it is also used for draining cheese as I can hang the cheese over the tap out of the way of everything else. Vegetables that require immersion in water goes in a separate bowl. Any dishes which require hand washing are stacked on the drainer to air dry. Everything else goes in the dishwasher which can be used 2,3 or even 4 times a week, depending what pans and dishes etc I have been using. I use a washing up sponge to do any hand washing up, and that sponge goes in the dishwasher too. Once the sponge gets too tatty for washing up, it is relegated to washing worktops, then animal dishes, then wiping up spills on the floor or carpet, after which it gets thrown out. Tea-towels get washed regularly. If my hands get really dirty, it doesn't take a second to nip up to the bathroom to wash them. My skin creams and oil are kept up there anyway, and I usually use rubber gloves in the kitchen if I need to do a bit more than rinse out a cup.

I always wash my hands before, after and sometimes during preparing food, whether that food is for me or my pets, and always use my skin cream when I've washed my hands after preparing food. Luckily my hands are not as sensitive as the rest of my skin - probably through years of washing them :laugh:

As far as mice or any other unsavoury creatures getting into the kitchen are concerned, mice are despatched PDQ by the feline fraternity. Slugs seem to manage to get in occasionally whether the back door is open or not. I always check before I start cooking anything and they are despatched back into the garden. A good spray with the same water/vinegar mix I use for cleaning the rest of the kitchen usually deters them and is safer for the cats and the dog than using salt or salt water. My elderly cat has one area of kitchen worktop, where my plants are and is not a food-preparation area, that she is allowed on, mainly to eat her food out of the way of the other cats and my greyhound. She occasionally strays and I have to give the top a good scrubbing, but normally just a firm "no" stops her.

Last edited:
Well yes. If I started thinking too much about it I'd get OCD! Its funny really. There's this thing about using different chopping boards (covered in previous threads) for meat, fish, veg. That is mainly accepted as good practice in domestic kitchens as well as professional. Yet thirty years ago, you'd be hard pushed to find a domestic kitchen that used this system, perhaps with the exception of Kosher families. My parents would have thought it completely bonkers! If you start thinking about it too much, then using tea towels at all, more than once, might be hazardous. As you say 'where do you stop?' I think that's why I don't worry.

Here's a case in point: If you drop a clean tea towel on a clean (but walked on) floor, do you then have to put it in the laundry?
And another: Would you allow cats to walk on kitchen surfaces? I wouldn't, but I know people who do. I actually do find this horrible. The cat has been scratching in a cat tray or roaming outside. After all, we wouldn't walk in our shoes across a kitchen surface!

No shoes in my house either.
I have clean socks (the thick cushy kind) and flip flops just inside the doors for everyone to use (if they want...not mandatory) after slipping off their street shoes.
Also have a set of "garden" clogs (and MORE flip flops lol) sitting OUTSIDE the back door for use outside.
I do expect them to be rinsed off with the hose before slipping out of them and entering (and using the indoor foot coverings....or not).
Also have strict rules to prevent cross contamination in the kitchen (considered a "clean" space) and powder room (contaminated space) altho you could prolly eat off the floor in that room.
I blame my OCD on my 30 years as a Labor and Delivery/OR/ER nurse lol.

So be warned if you ever come to visit lol.

mimi

and powder room (contaminated space)
Is that the bathroom? I really wouldn't want to eat off the floor in my bathrooms. Or any of my rooms for that matter! :laugh: My bathrooms are simply not what most people would consider to be very clean. I simply don't have time, energy or inclination to keep on top of the housework. In fact, there is quite a lot of it I simply can't do because I'm not able to bend down easily.

So be warned if you aver come to visit...

Is that the bathroom? I really wouldn't want to eat off the floor in my bathrooms. Or any of my rooms for that matter! :laugh: My bathrooms are simply not what most people would consider to be very clean. I simply don't have time, energy or inclination to keep on top of the housework. In fact, there is quite a lot of it I simply can't do because I'm not able to bend down easily.

So be warned if you aver come to visit...

Whenever we went to a new restaurant, we would visit the loo before ordering anything. If the loos were clean, then the kitchen would be.

My kitchen floor is usually covered with a sprinkling flour, and bits of onion and garlic skin. Not because I'm a messy cow, but I always manage to knock something on the floor and can't bend to pick it up (if I do bend down, I often get stuck....:whistling:). When it's wet out, there are often three or four sets of paw prints near the back door - a hazard of having the only way into the garden being through the kitchen, like most houses. Luckily none of it is anything a rubber broom, mop and bucket won't cure.

Floors are my nemesis.
Everywhere I go I inspect them.
Esp in public restrooms .... and restaurants.
The rest of my home can be in shambles with dusting being put off until I cannot stop sneezing .
Somewhere I heard that ladybugs eat dust mites?
If this is correct I will stop putting them out into the garden when I find one inside.

I do a good percentage of my cooking in a huge cast iron pan so I buy tea towels that are large enough to be used as pot holders when folded in 4 lengthwise. I buy 5 for $25 from a specific linen company and I usually buy 1 pack per year. I think I have about 30 of them currently.

We use them for just a day & then they go to the wash. Sometimes we might use 3 in a day. A couple of times a year I put every single tea towel in the washing machine and set it to the antibacterial wash which takes forever but it gets to boiling point or pretty close.

I own 3 smaller thinner cotton tea towels that are for straining paneer or other things and woe is you if I catch you using them for general use in the kitchen.

We don't have handtowels in the kitchen. I was raised to use a hand towel for drying my hands & a tea towel for dishes but my in-laws don't work that way and with them in & out of my house most days with their untrained selves and untrained kids I couldn't explain it one more time without sounding like a crazy person. So I gave up.

WOW

Tea towels, hand towels, double sinks, triple sinks, OMG my head is spinning.

I have a drawer of towels - larger towels - in the US referred to as Bar Towels - for drying dishes and hands, setting on the counter to place pots, pans and hand washed dishes on to dry. Smaller towels for washing dishes and cleaning counters. They are all white. They may have stains on them but they are both clean and sanitary. That is why I use white dish towels. I can put them in the washer with bleach on a super hot sanitary cycle.

IDK the difference between a Tea Towel and a Hand Towel.

I have 2 oven mitts. No pot holders. I have only 2 hands so I only need 2 oven mitts. Part of my "Get Rid of the Junk" campaign.

My sink is a double basin. One large and one extra large.

I use bleach water to clean my sinks, counter tops and range top. I use a Dobi Pad - a sponge pad with a silicon mesh cover. Scrubs well without scratching.

I am not a clean freak. When I do clean I want it done right. Bleach is my cleaning agent for surfaces. I use plain white vinegar and hot water for cleaning the floors. I also use water and vinegar on the walls and cabinets. After cleaning with vinegar I will use an oil based cleaner on the cabinets to restore the finish.

Do not mistake me for a cleaning fanatic. I may clean my walls annually and the cabinet doors twice a year. I would much rather cook than clean.

I am kind of nuts about hand washing during cooking and sanitizing my cutting board and knife. Also keeping my knife sharp and honed. I have a wonderful Gyoku Chef Knife that is my pride and joy. It is an extension of my hand. I treat it like a much loved child.

I am NOT a good house keeper. My house is mostly a mess. My kitchen is pristine. My priorities are apparent.

Good conversation.

Whenever we went to a new restaurant, we would visit the loo before ordering anything. If the loos were clean, then the kitchen would be

A friend of ours is a commercial exterminator - pest control. He goes into restaurant kitchens after hours to spray. There is a major chain steak house that he refuses to frequent. He said their kitchen is disgusting. Sooo - we don't eat there either.

My kitchen floor is usually covered with a sprinkling flour, and bits of onion and garlic skin

We have a running joke about my Brother's cooking - if you want to know his secret ingredient look on the floor.

I also have a pair of pot holders which are OK for saucepans with hot lids, and plates out of the microwave. My younger granddaughter bought me a pair of proper heavy duty oven gloves last year to make it easier for me to get stuff out of the oven too.

@ElizabethB

I never use bleach near my food or my animals, only a mix of white vinegar and water with a drop of washing up liquid. The bleach bottle in this house is upstairs next to the loo, where it belongs.

It is good idea to use separate tea towel and hand towel. The dirt from hand will not transfer to the dishes. I recommend you to use separate linen towel for both purposes. They are soft , absorbs more water and are easy to wash. So it will not be difficult for you to replace it every day. You might use a darker colored towel if you are afraid that it will be stained.

Back
Top Bottom