Technology old and new

@sidevalve

DITTO!

I love my man to pieces but he does, sometimes, make me crazy. When ever he gets a new ache, pain, cough, nasal drip or change in his BM he is on line trying to find what fatal disease he is dying from.
is an understatement. Does he search reputable sites like CDC, Mayo Clinic, Cleveland Clinic? NO!! he searches advertisement sites!!! I can not tell you how many times I have had to research reputable sites to de-bunk the information on his ad sites before he spends money on a "miracle cure" for whatever disease he thinks he has.

Oh, My Man, I love him so! Good thing for him.
Try a copy of Blacks.

Mod edit. This and following few posts moved from general chat thread to form new topic.

12 years ago I bought a 512 kb memory stick for my computer. It cost £44.00.

Today, I bought a 1 troglabyte external disc drive for my computer. It cost £36.00.

If I had paid the same, byte for byte for the latest drive it would have cost me £94,500,000.00.

I only ever use one setting on the washing machine!

I do make use of multiple settings on the washer. In addition to the most used normal cycle I use the hand wash cycle for some of my clothes and the sanitary cycle for kitchen towels. There is also a bulky cycle - good for comforters and G's hunting clothes.

Just a thought - has anyone noticed the amount of technology in cookers/ovens/microwaves now !! :eek: Some seem to have more settings than the space shuttle
I only use two settings on my washer dryer - normal wash (1 hour) when I have a lot of washing, or quick wash (1/2 hour) if I don't. On the odd occasion in winter, I use the dryer as well.
I don't even know what half the settings on my microwave are for. I usually just use the quick button for heating things, and the defrost setting for defrosting the dog's chicken.
Seeing as I bought both things in sales at prices far lower than the basic models, I don't really care :laugh:

As far as computers are concerned, the first time I had anything to do with them was punching holes in cards and paper for some early ones in the 1960s. In the early 70's, when I was working elsewhere, we lost our nice big tea room to 1 computer, which was a reel to reel job. By the 1980s I was using IBM machines that used large floppy disks. Then in the mid-1990s I actually went to on computer course to learn how to use "modern" ones. My last desk top one went bang a couple of years ago, to be replaced by a laptop. I have a very cheap tablet (£70) which does exactly the same thing plus takes photos and is useful to take to my daughter's with me. Both of these will hook up to 2 external hard drives. I also have 2 smart phones - a Windows phone, which is really easy to use as it's just like a miniature Windows computer, and an Android phone which drives me round the bend.

At some point in the mid 1990's I worked in an engineering company where we "finished" car parts, i.e. polished them up and checked them before they went on to various car manufacturers all over the world for use in their vehicles. All the computers there were Macs and were programmed for the actual manufacturing side of things as, until we got our hands on the parts, everything was done by machine.

@Elawin

My first Navy school included how to punch cards and paper tapes.

In the late 90' and early 00's I had a landscaping business. IDK why but I dug my heels in and insisted that I would NOT use a cell phone. I ran myself crazy - trying to supervise multiple jobs, schedule deliveries, order supplies - all from pay phones. I finally capitulated and purchased a cell phone. My business instantly became more efficient and much easier to run.

I don't know when I last saw a pay phone other than in a museum.

@Elawin

My first Navy school included how to punch cards and paper tapes.

In the late 90' and early 00's I had a landscaping business. IDK why but I dug my heels in and insisted that I would NOT use a cell phone. I ran myself crazy - trying to supervise multiple jobs, schedule deliveries, order supplies - all from pay phones. I finally capitulated and purchased a cell phone. My business instantly became more efficient and much easier to run.

I don't know when I last saw a pay phone other than in a museum.
There are still a few pay phones round where I live, but a lot of the old ones have been converted to broadband connections.

I only use two settings on my washer dryer - normal wash (1 hour) when I have a lot of washing, or quick wash (1/2 hour) if I don't. On the odd occasion in winter, I use the dryer as well.
I don't even know what half the settings on my microwave are for. I usually just use the quick button for heating things, and the defrost setting for defrosting the dog's chicken.
Seeing as I bought both things in sales at prices far lower than the basic models, I don't really care :laugh:

We have a washer/dryer, I use 1 setting on each one that is all.

Microwave, use the timer and press start to cook, that is it.

When my wife was in hospital I only ever used one setting on the washing machine :scratchhead: when she came home I discovered she only ever used two herself :happy: Are we all just old fashioned Luddites or [as I suspect] is all this technology just unwanted window dressing to sell more goods [that we don't really need] and is only of interest [usually] to the young for a brief period until they get bored with it and discover it was easier just to do things the old way.

Back
Top Bottom