Tell Me About Caribbean Food!

Kate

Veteran
Local time
1:10 AM
I *love* trying new recipes... and cooking in general. My family enjoys theme meals and I think a Caribbean-themed meal would be great! I'll be googling for recipes, but in the meantime, if I could get some ideas here about favorite types of Caribbean food, I'd have a starting point when I start putting the meal together.

What's your favorite? (I'll need main, side, and dessert!)

As I said, Caribbean food encompasses a large variety and can also be island specific. In Jamaica we tend jerk everything, chicken, pork and sausage are usually done most though. Also, in almost every Jamaican home on a Sunday you can find rice and peas, this is basic tradition for us, those can cover the main dishes. One of our most loved desert is the potato pudding and the fruit cake.

Caribbean themed restaurants are located across the world, with a little time and effort I am sure you can find one close to you. Do hope you will also enjoy channeling your inner Caribbean as you take on the cuisine.

As I said, Caribbean food encompasses a large variety and can also be island specific. In Jamaica we tend jerk everything, chicken, pork and sausage are usually done most though. Also, in almost every Jamaican home on a Sunday you can find rice and peas, this is basic tradition for us, those can cover the main dishes. One of our most loved desert is the potato pudding and the fruit cake.

Caribbean themed restaurants are located across the world, with a little time and effort I am sure you can find one close to you. Do hope you will also enjoy channeling your inner Caribbean as you take on the cuisine.

Yes, it is true that in Jamaica we like to jerk everything. Another dish that is loved in Jamaica is curried goat or curried chicken. You can serve that with plain rice or rice and peas. There's also another favorite in Jamaica which is brown stewed oxtail which is cooked in a browning sauce, but this can take a long time to cook though if you don't have a pressure cooker, so you can try brown stewed chicken instead. You can get many of these recipes online, and you can buy a Caribbean cookbook to try and sample as many Caribbean dishes as you like. You can also watch cooking shows with Caribbean nationals too so that you can know how to cook these dishes. A good site to visit to get a myriad of recipe ideas from the Caribbean is CaribbeanPot.com

Back
Top Bottom