Recipe Tempura Vegetables

Francesca

Local time
4:56 PM
Just an amazingly dazzling dynamic " Tapa " or Amuse Boûche (aperitif ) or Appetiser ..

Ingredients Needed for 4 to 6 People:

125 grams of broccoli ..
1 Medium red onion or large shallots ( 2 ) sliced in arcs
1 small red pepper of choice ( bell or horn shaped )
1 small green pepper of choice ( bell or horn shaped )
1 large carrot or 2 médium size carrots
60 grams of Green beans of choice
Evoo ( Use a light sweet Evoo )
Flour of choice ( I use Bio rice flour or natural chick pea flour )
2 Chop Sticks per person

*** Fresh prawns are optional ..

For the Breading Process:

250 ml. ice water
1 egg yolk
125 grams of flour of choice

The Dipping Sauce:

60 ml. Bio Japanese Teriyaki Sauce
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
2 tsps. Mirin = Sweet Rice wine
1 Tablespoon or a tiny shot glass of Sake = rice wine

1) After washing the veggies: Slice the broccoli in small florets ( florets with stems )
2) Then slice the onion in arcs, the carrots in lengthwise, the peppers in strips, and the Green beans, and eliminate the end tips of the green beans ..
3) Prepare the breading: Beat in a large bowl the yolk of the egg & the ice water.
4) Now add the flour and combine ( not " liquidy " or thin ) ..
5) Heat your Evoo in a large Wok or similar type skillet and pass the veggies in the flour mixture and sack off the excess flour mixture.
6) Sauté until Golden and Crisp ..
7) Repeat the operation until you have sautéed all the veggies in the tempura batter ..
8) Make the sauce ( combine all the ingredients ) and place in a small square or round bowl .. One can add Wasabe if they so wish ..

Just 20 grams of fat, and 30 grams of cholesterol and 250 calories ..

Sip with a glass of Sake or Rice Wine or a Rosé Cava or Rosé Prosecco ..

Last edited:
I love shrimp and vege tempura. I quite often get the 3-shrimp and vege tempura appetizer from our favorite local Thai/Japanese place as my dinner. Orange sweet potato, as well as mushrooms, zucchini and yellow squash are often used as the veges as well here in the U.S. One of my favorites, which was close to where we used to live but a long drive now, is a place that spiralized carrot, zucchini and yellow squash as thick noodles, then battered and fried. They made such a pretty presentation as they piled high on the plate and you could still see the colors through the light tempura batter.

Just an amazingly dazzling dynamic " Tapa " or Amuse Boûche (aperitif ) or Appetiser ..

Ingredients Needed for 4 to 6 People:

125 grams of broccoli ..
1 Medium red onion or large shallots ( 2 ) sliced in arcs
1 small red pepper of choice ( bell or horn shaped )
1 small green pepper of choice ( bell or horn shaped )
1 large carrot or 2 médium size carrots
60 grams of Green beans of choice
Evoo ( Use a light sweet Evoo )
Flour of choice ( I use Bio rice flour or natural chick pea flour )
2 Chop Sticks per person

*** Fresh prawns are optional ..

For the Breading Process:

250 ml. ice water
1 egg yolk
125 grams of flour of choice

The Dipping Sauce:

60 ml. Bio Japanese Teriyaki Sauce
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
2 tsps. Mirin = Sweet Rice wine
1 Tablespoon or a tiny shot glass of Sake = rice wine

1) After washing the veggies: Slice the broccoli in small florets ( florets with stems )
2) Then slice the onion in arcs, the carrots in lengthwise, the peppers in strips, and the Green beans, and eliminate the end tips of the green beans ..
3) Prepare the breading: Beat in a large bowl the yolk of the egg & the ice water.
4) Now add the flour and combine ( not " liquidy " or thin ) ..
5) Heat your Evoo in a large Wok or similar type skillet and pass the veggies in the flour mixture and sack off the excess flour mixture.
6) Sauté until Golden and Crisp ..
7) Repeat the operation until you have sautéed all the veggies in the tempura batter ..
8) Make the sauce ( combine all the ingredients ) and place in a small square or round bowl .. One can add Wasabe if they so wish ..

Just 20 grams of fat, and 30 grams of cholesterol and 250 calories ..

Sip with a glass of Sake or Rice Wine or a Rosé Cava or Rosé Prosecco ..

What a goodness... The batter is one of those things that I do not always do well. I'll try this with the egg, I do not usually add in.

What a goodness... The batter is one of those things that I do not always do well. I'll try this with the egg, I do not usually add in.

@MypinchofItaly

The egg holds the batter together .. It works well for me .. I do not use wheat flour for Tempura .. Try Japanese Rice flour for tempura and / or chick pea (ceci) flour ..

Thank you Dear ..

Have a lovely day ..

The hardest thing about getting the tempura batter to turn out right is keeping it cold. The ice cubes do the trick for that, but you have to be fanatical about it: if you plan to do anything other than battering the vegetables immediately after incorporating the ingredients, place the batter mixture in the refrigerator (I will put it in the freezer if I don't plan to be away more than a few minutes).

Issues with the better not sticking properly are because of moisture on the surface of the vegetable (or meat). You can correct that by first dusting what you plan to batter with flour to soak up the moisture.

One thing I do differently is that I use baking powder...1/4 teaspoon for this quantity is fine. I like how it makes the batter puff up when it fries. I also like to use cold seltzer water with ice cubes instead of just ice water. This is supposed to make the batter even fluffier. I haven't tried it with just water, so I don't know what effect it really has.

Back
Top Bottom