Ten cooking utensils that every kitchen needs

I don't have a splatter screen or pasta server. Can't see the need... at least, certainly not as basic items.
Salad servers - I'm sure you have them. In fact, knowing you, you probably have several sets of them. :D
I wouldn't call them 'spoons' 'cos usually they are fork and spoon shaped. Well, I'm assuming that is what is being referred to in the list. This type of thing:

View attachment 3847

I don't have a splatter screen or pasta server. Can't see the need... at least, certainly not as basic items.
Pasta Server.jpg

I'll have to get one, preferably THIS one! It has a little orange in the handle. Hah!! :wink:

I could virtually lose the rest as long as I could keep my knife and chopping boards. And my blender. And my spice grinder. And my nylon stirring spoons. And my barbecue tongs. And a few sieves. And my woks. OK, forget it. :drink:

[Oooops forgot the rice cooker! Where would we be without that?]

Last edited:
I could virtually lose the rest as long as I could keep my knife and chopping boards. And my blender. And my spice grinder. And my nylon stirring spoons. And my barbecue tongs. And a few sieves. And my woks. OK, forget it. :drink:

[Oooops forgot the rice cooker! Where would we be without that?]

I really don't understand rice cookers. If you use the absorption method then there is no need. I agree about the knife. One good chef's knife can be used for virtually all cutting and chopping.

But - despite being an obsessive cook I don't use a food processor at all. I use a stick blender to puree (much less washing-up) and otherwise I chop or whisk by hand. I have a very small kitchen so there is really nowhere to keep one anyway.

I really don't understand rice cookers.

I once volunteered to move a Thai couple from rented accommodation at one side of town to rented accommodation at the other side of town (about 5 km). Their sole belongings consisted of a mattress, a fabric wardrobe with some clothes, a television, a large stuffed teddy bear and the ubiquitous RICE COOKER! From the time the Thais got electric (not too long ago where I live) they have had a rice cooker.

Last edited:
But - despite being an obsessive cook I don't use a food processor at all. I use a stick blender to puree (much less washing-up) and otherwise I chop or whisk by hand. I have a very small kitchen so there is really nowhere to keep one anyway.

I've had a processor (food, not word) for over two years now and used it maybe 3 times.

I find it somewhat strange that after 3000 years (probably) of boiling eggs, we still have many different methods of accomplishing the same result.

I was watching Anjum Anand on television yesterday evening and she always appears to use a stick blender. I've never had one. I always use the table standing type (blender).

Back
Top Bottom