Ten cooking utensils that every kitchen needs

I was watching Anjum Anand on television yesterday evening and she always appears to use a stick blender. I've never had one. I always use the table standing type (blender).
Once I discovered a stick blender my life changed.:D Its brilliant and really, you don't need anything else to puree sauces or even makes smoothies (not that I would dream of making the latter!). The great thing is that the end screws off and you just rinse it under the tap. Washing up done!

The only issue is that if you use it in a shallow pan with not much in it the food splatters. But as long as the head of the blender is immersed, you can use it directly in the pan you are cooking with. Otherwise, I use the 'beaker' which came with it.

Once I discovered a stick blender my life changed.:D Its brilliant and really, you don't need anything else to puree sauces or even makes smoothies (not that I would dream of making the latter!). The great thing is that the end screws off and you just rinse it under the tap. Washing up done!

The only issue is that if you use it in a shallow pan with not much in it the food splatters. But as long as the head of the blender is immersed, you can use it directly in the pan you are cooking with. Otherwise, I use the 'beaker' which came with it.
I don't find them that much of a revelation. They are good for some blending but if you want a really smooth, and I do mean really smooth, soup, a liquidizer is still the best option imo. I have a stick blender (a kitchenaid one) and have had one off and on over the years, but I can live without one. What I find I can't live without is a good quality liquidiser!

I was being ironic as @Cinisajoy is renowned for her multiple sets of kitchen tools! I don't have any either but I'm thinking I may get some to use as props in photographs.
I'm way too fat gone at the moment to notice... Gores off to check... Irony!

Perhaps I should just retire from posting/replying?

Mind you I think it is the only thing keeping me sane and/or going at the moment.

I don't know re 'smoothness' and stick blenders. As far as I can tell my stick blender makes very smooth soups and sauces. If I get an opportunity I will post a picture of results - but what would be a good ingredient to test?

I don't know re 'smoothness' and stick blenders. As far as I can tell my stick blender makes very smooth soups and sauces. If I get an opportunity I will post a picture of results - but what would be a good ingredient to test?
I find broccoli a good test, but I use the stalk as well.

@SatNavSaysStraightOn thanks for tip on eggs. And please stick around. I love 99% of your posts.
@morning glory . How to make a salad. Grab a head of lettuce, chop it up. Add whatever raw vegetables you want. Put it all in a bowl. Have people get their own. Let people put on their own dressing.
Or go to your nearest place with a good all you can eat salad bar. Make your own. No prep involved.
Though I am not sure all salads are good for you. I personally love a bit of lettuce, some parmesan, cheddar, blue cheese, olives, bacon and Caesar dressing.

Do you make enough pasta to justify the purpose?

You do NOT have to physically MAKE the pasta from scratch.

This utensil also applies to boxed pasta, such as spaghetti & noodles. It makes it easier to pick up the boiled pasta, than with a fork or spoon. :wink:

I really don't understand rice cookers. If you use the absorption method then there is no need. I agree about the knife. One good chef's knife can be used for virtually all cutting and chopping.

But - despite being an obsessive cook I don't use a food processor at all. I use a stick blender to puree (much less washing-up) and otherwise I chop or whisk by hand. I have a very small kitchen so there is really nowhere to keep one anyway.

I want to get a food processor, mainly for chopping up meat for burgers and meat loaf. :wink:

This utensil also applies to boxed pasta, such as spaghetti & noodles. It makes it easier to pick up the boiled pasta, than with a fork or spoon. :wink:
I think she probably knew that... but I haven't ever had one. I suppose it could be useful for spaghetti and noodles but the quantity I cook is usually small so easy enough to dish up.

I think she probably knew that... but I haven't ever had one. I suppose it could be useful for spaghetti and noodles but the quantity I cook is usually small so easy enough to dish up.

I find that using a spoon to do it is impossible. The spaghetti just slips right off and back into the pot!! Aggravating!! :headshake::mad:

Let me rephrase.
Do you cook enough boxed pasta to make it worth your time and space?
I personally prefer my flat strainer that goes against the pot and drains the water into the sink.
20161107_114001.jpg

Well yes - but I think he means how to get it out of the pot, not strain it.
Probably, but if you strain it, nearly any utensil will get it out of the pan.
Besides as the queen of kitchen toys, it is my duty to make sure the king sees all gadgets. Besides he started it with the oven.:laugh:

Do you mean raw broccoli? And do you mean just broccoli, no liquid added?
I have a recipe for the soup.. I think it is on here, but I just find that broccoli soup in particular does not blend well with the stick blender unless really overcooked.
@SatNavSaysStraightOn thanks for tip on eggs. And please stick around. I love 99% of your posts.
You're welcome and thank you. I do find that sometimes my straight talking and inability to be anything other, lack of subtly and sense of humour causes me issues with people. They often simply don't know how to 'deal' with me or respond to my responses and usually take things the wrong way and I kind of feel like I am going through one of those periods at the moment. People are often simply misunderstanding what I am trying to say, meaning and well it makes life hard. I guess my lack of ability to interact with people on a 'actually seeing someone other than my OH' level at the moment is probably the issue. Even before the broken ribs. I only got out on a Saturday and that was to do with the shopping. I also find that me trying to be helpful is usually taken as a criticism when I never meant it to be. I guess I am a typical IT Engineer. Antisocial and find it difficult to relate to other people, dyslexic and left handed. It is only my love of the outdoors, wildlife and flora, travel, cycling, hiking, mountaineering, photography and cooking that keep me from being 100% typical of the IT engineers world. Oh, and knitting. How that happened I can only blame my Grannie. Actually I think I can blame cooking, fauna, flora, photography, the outdoors and knitting (plus sewing (I actually have a sewing machine and can use all the settings on it right down to zips and button holes, but don't tell anyone please!)) all on my Grannie! Oops missed gardening and allotments off that list.... OK I'm reaching the conclusion I need to be an IT Engineer who lives off grid and outdoors. I have the satellite broadband, capture rain water and grow my own veg. Loads of land... I have a couple of solar panels which can run the laptop at the minimum and can do the Dutch ovens, camp fires for cooking (not those desperately wasteful things that you see in the movies...) and build my own shelters if needed, though between you and I there are that many ants around here, I'll stick to a house. I can at least try to limit the number inside... OK - better stop hijacking this thread.... :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom