Ten cooking utensils that every kitchen needs

Yes, this one has the removable grill plates. It is super easy to clean. The grill itself is non-stick.

no salad servers, or splatter screen, or pasta server.
I make chopped mixed salads every week, alsorts of veggies and fruit, and even a splattering of muesli, a great mayo based dressing, but not into lettuce leaves.
I love my knives, expensive, but they keep a good edge, and cut everything really well ....
one thing I use is my mini kenwood "processor", chops up my mixed salad into a sandwich spread, its great

no salad servers, or splatter screen, or pasta server.
I make chopped mixed salads every week, alsorts of veggies and fruit, and even a splattering of muesli, a great mayo based dressing, but not into lettuce leaves.
I love my knives, expensive, but they keep a good edge, and cut everything really well ....
one thing I use is my mini kenwood "processor", chops up my mixed salad into a sandwich spread, its great

I use a mini chopper too. Its very useful as I'm normally not wanting to chop large amounts at a time.

must be a tiny kitchen ... I'd have to hire a team of cleaners for mine, maybe a steam washer, one of them pesticide people, and a skip in the road .... ohhh and a window cleaner:bravo:
Nope, not a tiny kitchen. I said cleaned out (as in got rid of some stuff) as opposed to cleaning the kitchen.

The experts say that to function efficiently we need certain basic cooking utensils. Here is list I came across while online.
1. Spatulas to Blend, mix and scrape
2. Spatulas or Flippers to lift, turn or remove
3. Wooden spoons
4. Openers for Cans, bottles and cartons
5. Vegetable Peelers
6. Serving salad spoons
7. Soup ladle
8. Splatter Screen
9. Pasta spoon or server
10.Whisks for mixing and blending

At a glance it appears I have all the basics but I would be lying if I said I always use them. I am a rush cook and often I will use what's right at hand. What about you?

I don't have a splatter screen, but I don't do a lot of splattery cooking either. On the original list I have nos 1 - 7, 9, 10 all close at hand.

1. Spatulas to Blend, mix and scrape
2. Spatulas or Flippers to lift, turn or remove
3. Wooden spoons
7. Soup ladle
10.Whisks for mixing and blending

think that is the sum total of what I have and use....

personally I think a sieve/colander is also totally vital, plus I could not survive for long without my (antique) hand egg beater...
View attachment 367

I bought myself one of these, quite early on after leaving home. It doesn't get used much now though because i have a brilliant little electric one.

Once I discovered a stick blender my life changed.:D Its brilliant and really, you don't need anything else to puree sauces or even makes smoothies (not that I would dream of making the latter!). The great thing is that the end screws off and you just rinse it under the tap. Washing up done!

The only issue is that if you use it in a shallow pan with not much in it the food splatters. But as long as the head of the blender is immersed, you can use it directly in the pan you are cooking with. Otherwise, I use the 'beaker' which came with it.

Same here.

I do have some lovely wooden salad servers and serving bowl, which were a present, but I only use them when entertaining ( like a summer bbq for instance ), the rest of the time I arrange salad directly onto our plates.

I also use my pasta server regularly.

I would say that a rolling pin and a measuring jug would count as basic, if you are going to cook from scratch.

Back
Top Bottom