Recipe Tequila Lime Chicken with Grapes 'en Papillote'

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
10:11 PM
This is a light and lovely dish. The grapes and kiwi fruit add zing and dimension to the classic Tequila lime marinade for chicken. Its very easy to make indeed! I served it with sliced avocado and rice and used a blowtorch to char the chicken and chilli. Instead of cooking 'en papillote' you could simply char grill the marinated chicken (minus the marinade) to serve in tortillas with guacamole. Make it vegan by substituting tofu for chicken.

fullsizeoutput_4556.jpeg

Ingredients (serves 2)
  • 2 chicken breast fillets
  • 1 kiwi fruit
  • 12 green grapes (for the marinade)
  • Juice of a lime
  • 12 red and green grapes, halved (to cook in the ‘en papillote’)
  • 2 tbsp Tequila
  • 2 medium hot chillies, deseeded and sliced (or use chillis of your choice)
  • Salt to taste
Method
  1. For the marinade, peel the kiwi fruit and chop into chunks. Halve the grapes. Blitz the lime juice, kiwi and grapes and then sieve. Add the Tequila. Add a little water if the mixture is too thick.
  2. Place the chicken breasts in a plastic bag or bowl and cover with the marinade. Turn to coat well and leave for at least 3 hours.
  3. Heat the oven to 180C.
  4. Take a large sheet of foil (I lined it with baking paper, but you don’t have to). Place the chicken breasts in the centre of the foil and scatter the sliced chilli and halved grapes around them. Season with salt. Pour the marinade over. Cover with another sheet of foil, tenting it slightly. Crimp the edges of the foil to form a tight seal.
  5. Bake for 25 mins. Open the ‘papillote’ (remove baking paper if using) and use a culinary blowtorch to char the top of the chicken and the chillis.
Before:

fullsizeoutput_44ce.jpeg

After:

fullsizeoutput_444d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_449b.jpeg

Last edited:
@morning glory how did you get that blackened look on the chicken? blow torch?

Yes - its in Step 5. If you don't it all looks sort of white. You could blast it under a hot grill (broiler) instead. The advantage of the blowtorch is that it doesn't continue to cook the food.

can't see the kiwi fruit, btw have you tried the different colours of kiwi fruit. The yellow one??

Russ

In Step 1 you will see that its blitzed up in the marinade for the chicken.

The only type of Kiwi of seen here is green. Do the yellow ones taste any different?

Yes - its in Step 5. If you don't it all looks sort of white. You could blast it under a hot grill (broiler) instead. The advantage of the blowtorch is that it doesn't continue to cook the food.

In Step 1 you will see that its blitzed up in the marinade for the chicken.

The only type of Kiwi of seen here is green. Do the yellow ones taste any different?

Seemed sweeter when I tasted 1 at my sons. Great for presentation as well.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom