Home kook
Staff member
Local time
11:26 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
IMG_0847.JPG

Thai Coconut Soup Calories.jpg

I used to call this a light Thai coconut soup because I make it with light coconut milk. I really can't tell the difference. But, putting light first in the name detracts from that fact, so I'm leaving it out. One of the foundations of this recipe is the creation of the stock. If you're pressed for time, you can replace STOCK ingredients with a pre-made stock. The shells can still be used to flavor that stock.

One more thing: never, ever use precooked shrimp: the raw shrimp cooks fully using the directions below. Anything that's already cooked will become rubbery when heated in the liquid.

Ingredients

1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined, reserving shells and juices

STOCK:

1 carrot, roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
1/4 onion, roughly chopped
1 teaspoon thyme leaves
4 cups water
1 teaspoon salt

SOUP:

1 tablespoon sesame oil
2 tablespoons ginger, freshly grated
2 tablespoons pickled ginger, finely chopped (optional)
1 stalk lemongrass, chopped (or 2 tablespoons lemon grass paste)
1 serrano pepper, diced, retaining seeds
1 tablespoon tamarind paste
3 tablespoons fish sauce
3 (13 1/2 ounce) cans light coconut milk
1⁄2 lb fresh shiitake mushroom, sliced
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 ounce fresh cilantro
1 ounce rice vinegar
4 tablespoons cornstarch

Directions
  1. If making the stock, combine all stock in ingredients in a large pot and bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer. Add shells and juices reserved from the shrimp. Cover and allow to simmer for at least half an hour. Strain liquids out and set aside.
  2. If not making the stock, bring pre-made stock to a boil, then lower to a simmer. Add shells and juices reserved from the shrimp. Cover and allow to simmer for at least half an hour. Strain liquids out and set aside.
  3. Separate seeds, if any, from tamarind paste and discard.
  4. Heat the oil in a small pan over medium heat. Stir in the ginger, lemon grass, pepper, tamarind paste for 1 minute.
  5. Slowly pour all but 1 cup of the stock over the mixture, stirring continually.
  6. Stir in the fish sauce; simmer for 15 minutes.
  7. Stir in the coconut milk, mushrooms, and cilantro; cook and stir until the mushrooms are soft.
  8. Add the shrimp; cook until no longer translucent (about 5 minutes).
    Stir in the lime juice and rice vinegar.
  9. In a separate bowl, stir the cornstarch gradually into the remaining stock. Add gradually to the pot while stirring continuously.
  10. Stir in the lime juice and rice vinegar.

Last edited:
@The Late Night Gourmet,

Lovely delicate fragrant soup ..

I have 2 questions:

1) Thailand is famed for its sweet Tamarind fruit bark .. Why tamarind paste and not a piece of tamarind bark fruit ? It is very common in Latin American Grocers ..

2) Why the corn starch ? To make the soup thicker ?

Have a lovely evening ..

@The Late Night Gourmet,

Lovely delicate fragrant soup ..

I have 2 questions:

1) Thailand is famed for its sweet Tamarind fruit bark .. Why tamarind paste and not a piece of tamarind bark fruit ? It is very common in Latin American Grocers ..

2) Why the corn starch ? To make the soup thicker ?

Have a lovely evening ..
Frequently, when I make a recipe a certain way, it;'s because it's what I actually used. Tamarind paste dissolves perfectly when I use it, so I can rely on the effect. I will, however, try tamarind bark, since I'm guessing it would lend a different - maybe better - flavor profile.

And, yes, the corn starch is for thickening. But, now that you mention it, I might just try making it without it next time. It doesn't affect the flavor...just the texture.

Thanks for that!

I'm not the biggest fan of coconut milk (@Yorky understands me) - but this is an interesting recipe and I love the detailed instructions.
I wouldn't have thought it was something I'd want to have, either. But, I had it as part of a first-and-probably-last-time-ever flight in First Class ,and they had this fantastic coconut soup. It took me a few tries to replicate it. What this gives you isn't sweet, any more than a salsa is sweet, if that's your concern. You know how sweet is used to neutralize hot; this is hot neutralizing sweet. It has a solid medium-level heat as written; knowing you, you might even want to throw in a second pepper. :okay:

I wouldn't have thought it was something I'd want to have, either. But, I had it as part of a first-and-probably-last-time-ever flight in First Class ,and they had this fantastic coconut soup. It took me a few tries to replicate it. What this gives you isn't sweet, any more than a salsa is sweet, if that's your concern. You know how sweet is used to neutralize hot; this is hot neutralizing sweet. It has a solid medium-level heat as written; knowing you, you might even want to throw in a second pepper. :okay:

You have me seduced into wanting to make this now! It was the 'sweet' that was worrying me. I'm going to have to try it aren't I? :)

Frequently, when I make a recipe a certain way, it;'s because it's what I actually used. Tamarind paste dissolves perfectly when I use it, so I can rely on the effect. I will, however, try tamarind bark, since I'm guessing it would lend a different - maybe better - flavor profile.

And, yes, the corn starch is for thickening. But, now that you mention it, I might just try making it without it next time. It doesn't affect the flavor...just the texture.

Thanks for that!

@The Late Night Gourmet,

1) You could also try a "tamarind néctar" but not Goya as it has additives if you cannot find the bark at a Latin Grocer or Asian Grocer ..

2) When I want to thicken a soup ( for example, my Cardoon Soup), I use a tiny peeled boiled to just tender potato and place in the pot .. to soften more and then I use my stand up mixer to combine thoroughly .. It does not impart another profile of flavor .. It just gives it a more velvety texture without the "additives" of an industrial product ..

Truly sublime recipe .. Thanks for posting ..

You have me seduced into wanting to make this now! It was the 'sweet' that was worrying me. I'm going to have to try it aren't I? :)

@morning glory

A real Brown hairy coconut filled with its own liquidy milk is not sweet at all .. Only tinned coconut milk from a Latin Grocer is excessively sweet which I do not care for at all .. and is used in candies and baked goods.

If you buy a few fresh coconuts, and drain out the liquid, taste it -- it is not sweet .. It is very light .. The récipe calls for 3 tins or cans .. Buy fresh coconut .. 1 coconut is approx a little over 1 rock glass of liquid .. I am not sure how many glasses you may need -- I would say 3 or 4 fresh Brown coconuts .. Shake before you buy to make sure they are filled with liquid.

I was born without a "sweet tooth " .. Fresh Green coconut ( very difficult to find in our climatic zones ) is a coconut wáter from an un-ripened Green coconut and this is not sweet at all ..

Have a nice day ..

Last edited:
@The Late Night Gourmet, @Francesca, I managed to find a whole fresh coconut so I am intending to make a version of the recipe in the next few days.

@morning glory & @The Late Night Gourmet,

1) Wonderful news !! I am sure it will be absolutely amazing.
2) To thicken, a tiny potato will not alter the flavor and it is alot healthier than flour or cornstarch. My suggestion is, make a little extra and try out a tiny potato and see how you like it .. The flavor profile does not change .. The texture is like " velvet " thick creamy ..

Let me know ..

If you do not like, then use a teaspoon of unbleached Bio organic flour .. If need be, you can add 2 tsps ..

Back
Top Bottom