The Best Way to Cook Bacon

I haven't yet cooked bacon when naked. I probably should. I'll add it to the list. However, I reckon there is bacon and then there is bacon. Some splatter and some don't.

Last edited:
I haven't yet cooked bacon when naked. I probably should. I'll add it to the list. However, I reckon there is bacon and then there is bacon. Some splatter and some don't.
The ones that splatter are the cheap ones that have water injected into them and fry with a horrible white scum. Proper, traditionally cured bacon shouldn't.

It depends. If I'm in a hurry and need "dry" (blotted) bacon, I microwave it between paper towels. (*gasp!*). If I need the drippings right then, I've probably cut the bacon up into smaller pieces. If I'm trying to generate more drippings to have on hand, I'll "fry" the slices/rashers in a bit of water. By the time the water evaporates, the bacon is crisp - and virtually no splatters!

I grill back bacon because it cooks more evenly and you can get the fat crispy without burning the other bits - I suppose its also healthier because excess fat drips through into the pan. I tend to fry streaky though - I put it in a cold pan the same I would duck breast so that the fat has time to render out and baste the rest of it. Don't think I've ever cooked it naked....plenty of times in my dressing gown though :)

We pan fry bacon normally and have a splash guard thingy. And if it's intended to go into a sarnie, the bread is usually dipped in the bacon fat after.

Usually under the grill - well it's the only thing my grill is useful for! Occasionally in a heavy pan, as @Yorky says the fat is useful - frying eggs in.

I think of more importance is the quality of the bacon. Having discovered proper bacon I shall never again buy that water injected supermarket rubbish. It's on my list to have a go at making my own. I did invest in some Prague Powder last year and made a batch of bacon chops.

Even if I put bacon on a pizza, I pan fry it first to get a nice crispy result.

Back
Top Bottom