The CookingBites Cookalong: Boeuf Bourguignon or Mushroom Bourguignon

Status
Not open for further replies.
On balance, I have decided that I prefer to believe that this dish is indeed traditional, centuries old Burgundy country fare, and not the product of sophisticated C19th Parisien chef's. The few local recipes that I could find all suggest that Charolais beef is used. This breed does originate from the area, but there are older breeds, and my limited experience of Charolais has not been particularly positive. They are also a very commercial breed - if you buy Irish beef from a supermarket there is a strong likelihood that it will be at least part-Charolais. I decided to use beef from an older, more traditional breed (albeit British), more in keeping with the spirit of the recipe. Likewise, if we assume that if, like the near identical coq-au-vin recipe, it is a means of using up tough cuts, I wanted the cheapest, toughest cuts of meat I could find. Cue these beauties:
IMG_1810.JPG

Longhorn, grass fed (none of this corn rubbish) and reared slowly to 30 months on a farm 3 miles away. It's a small, family run farm, 100% organic, the highest standards of welfare, and the meat is butchered on the premises.

The chosen cuts were cheek and tail:
IMG_1814.JPG

These were browned in butter first thing this morning, along with onions and carrots, transferred to a Crock Pot, covered with red burgundy (1 1/2 bottles:eek:) and a bouquet garni of fresh thyme, parsley and chervil added, along with bay leaves. This will simmer away on the lowest setting for around 12 hours until all the connective tissue and bone marrow have melted into the sauce, and the meat has fallen of the bones. If I can resist it for that long. The aroma's floating around the kitchen are driving the dogs wild - it's bordering on cruelty.

Will post up pictures of the finished dish later this evening.

Longhorn, grass fed (none of this corn rubbish) and reared slowly to 30 months on a farm 3 miles away. It's a small, family run farm, 100% organic, the highest standards of welfare, and the meat is butchered on the premises.

The chosen cuts were cheek and tail:
View attachment 10345

That meat looks fabulous!

I have the meat, I have the mushrooms, I have the shallots. I need to buy the burgundy. I think my beef may not have such good provenance as @epicuric's - but its Aberdeen Angus braising steak so it should be OK with a slow cook. Its not traditional but I'm going to marinade the beef.

IMG_1816.JPG

Served with horseradish mash and sautéed leek and cabbage. The sauce wasn't quite as rich as I had hoped, but I didn't want to stray too much from the authentic theme. No tomato purée - tomatoes not arriving in Europe until C16th, so wouldn't have been used traditionally, just added a little stock and thickened. In preference I think I would go with coq au vin, or lamb shanks cooked in the same way.

I tweaked your photo - mainly so I could see it in more detail. Hope you don't mind! It sounds like you were underwhelmed...

View attachment 10373
Thank you - much better! Yes I was underwhelmed. Strange, because it really is my kind of food! Will try again, but free from the constraints of the authentic recipe.

Thank you - much better! Yes I was underwhelmed. Strange, because it really is my kind of food! Will try again, but free from the constraints of the authentic recipe.
Well it looks pretty good to me (aside from the sauce being perhaps a bit thin. as you say). My beef is marinading with juniper and allspice berries. None of which is in the 'authentic' recipe.

20170915_124842.jpg

What happened with your Mushroom Bourguignon @alexander? I think you last posted that you were marinating the mushrooms..?

Yay! that was last weekend. It turned out great and we were both surprised by the deep flavour. I did chestnut mushrooms in Tesco's Burgundy with shallots and carrots. We had it with pasta which I suppose is not traditional but heh! We liked it.

dsc_0359.jpg

Here are some of the elements of the Mushroom Bourguignon:

I marinated chestnut mushrooms in the wine overnight. I was quite startled by how much wine colour they took on!

20170916_133850.jpg

The pretty carrots came from Ocado. I poached them separately as I thought they might lose colour if dumped in the Bourguignon. I now wish I had roasted them as the purple ones leached colour into the water. I have roasted these carrots before and that way they keep their colour.

Chestnuts - ready cooked from a pack:

20170916_135412.jpg

Here we are part way through cooking. A faux beef stock was made from water, Marmite and miso paste. A heaped tsp. of tomato purèe was added and I used cornflour to thicken the sauce. A big bunch of fresh thyme added. The shallots were fried until slightly golden before adding:

20170916_140751.jpg

Last edited:
The verdict. I was really impressed by just how well this works. There was a really deep flavour to the sauce and my daughter who is vegetarian asked if I was sure I hadn't used beef stock. With hindsight I would have roasted the carrots to retain their colour. The addition of chestnuts provides protein and makes this a complete balanced meal with the addition of potatoes or noodles - and the chestnuts work fantastically well with mushrooms (its a combo I've used before).

I will definitely make this again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom