The CookingBites Cookalong: Boeuf Bourguignon or Mushroom Bourguignon

Status
Not open for further replies.
And here is Boeuf Bourguignon, made yesterday served with wholegrain mustard mash:

20170917_163512.jpg

It looks great. I just made a vegan Mushroom Bourguignon too (photos coming). What is the white piece on the right top - is it sour cream? Well maybe not as that wouldn't be vegan.

It is vegan yoghurt. Not my idea I hasten to add but my partner thought it would be nice.

Great idea @morning glory to add chestnuts. I bet that was delish!

View attachment 10192
Photo by The Domestic Man https://thedomesticman.com/2017/04/18/boeuf-bourguignon/

Have you ever made Boeuf Bourguignon or perhaps Mushroom Bourguignon? If not, then now is your chance to try! If you have cooked a Bourguignon before, you can share your wisdom and cook along too. The idea of the Cookalong is that members cook a classic recipe within a certain timescale and share their experience. Its a bit of fun and a chance to learn. Please join in!

This well-known dish has its roots in the Burgundy region in France. The most common given history for the dish is that it was a peasant dish that was raised to a higher level by professional chefs. Auguste Escoffier is often quoted as the chef that modernised and published the recipe in "Le Guide Culinaire" (1903). It was followed by dozens of similar recipes published by various authors in the next decade. His recipe uses a single piece of beef rather than the cubes of beef which are more often used nowadays.

There is an interesting article here which compares various Chef’s recipes and includes a final tested recipe. I will post a recipe for Mushroom Bourguignon below - from a trusted source: Nigel Slater.

Please add your comments, photos, experiences to this thread. Provisional closing date midnight Tuesday 10th October (BST (UCT/GMT+1). Please let us know if you intend to join in.

@morning glory

Exemplary historical introduction .. Lovely photography / nice dish ..

Last edited:
I bought all the ingredients to do a Beetroot & Portobello or Boletus Eduli Mushroom with Puy Lentils Bourguignon. Just have been so busy ..

When is your deadline ?

I need to type recipe too !

That sounds very interesting. The deadline is in the top post of the thread - currently October 10th so plenty of time. We can always extend it if more want to join in.

I bought all the ingredients to do a Beetroot & Portobello or Boletus Eduli Mushroom with Puy Lentils Bourguignon. Just have been so busy ..

When is your deadline ?

I need to type recipe too !

@ElizabethB

I just posted the recipe !

My mom had made this for my dad, and he really enjoyed it ..

Have a lovely day ..

That sounds very interesting. The deadline is in the top post of the thread - currently October 10th so plenty of time. We can always extend it if more want to join in.

@morning glory

1) Great. This gives me enough time to make the recipe .. Very simple ..
2) Yes, you can count me in on this one !
3) I posted the recipe in Vegetables ..
4) My dad raved to me about it ! My mom had made it for him .. My mom said, its a gorgeous vegan dish ..

Thanks ..
Have a nice weekend ..

@morning glory

4) My dad raved to me about it ! My mom had made it for him .. My mom said, its a gorgeous vegan dish ..

Thanks ..
Have a nice weekend ..

@ElizabethB

I am an only child so I am very close to my parents as well as my twin sons who are 27 and married and we are also very close to my daughter in laws, and inlaws .. They all live on the Costa Brava in Cadaquès ( 2 hour drive north from Barcelona ) .. We all our close knit ..

All my best for a lovely weekend and thank you ..

@morning glory

Thanks ..
Have a nice weekend ..

@morning glory

I shall make it the weekend of the 29th - 1st .. I will need to pick up a few of the fresh veggies and thyme sprigs and parsley I have growing on terrace ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom