The CookingBites Cookalong: Boeuf Bourguignon or Mushroom Bourguignon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited by a moderator:
This is the first time that I have participated in the “Cookalong Challenge” and I have put a lot of effort into it (effort of which I have very little) so I hope that y’all appreciate it.

It tasted wonderful, by the way.

Wow! Much appreciated. It does indeed look delicious. So you marinated the beef in cider? Did you marinate the mushrooms too?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! Much appreciated. It does indeed look delicious. So you marinated the beef in cider? Did you marinate the mushrooms too?

No marinating involved (other than the beef in it's own blood.....

Ingredients

· 500 gm Beef cubed 30 mm
· 1 Small onion, chopped
· 1 tblsp Plain flour
· 250 ml Dry apple cider
· 1 tsp Pureed garlic
· ½ tsp Tomato puree
· ½ tsp Dried oregano
· 1 Bay leaf
· 120 gm Bacon, chopped up
· 60 gm Button mushrooms, halved if large
· 1 Carrot, small, sliced
· 200 gm shallots (halved if large)
· Olive oil
· Salt
· Freshly ground black pepper

Method

Heat a little of the olive oil in a wok. Brown the beef (in batches if necessary) and keep aside.

Brown the chopped onion in the same oil adding a little more if necessary.

Return the meat to the wok and add the flour stirring well to mix.

Transfer the beef, onions and accumulated liquid to a slow cooker.

Add the cider slowly whilst stirring continuously. Then add the garlic, tomato puree, oregano, bay leaf and seasoning, stir and set the slow cooker for 2 hours.

In a separate wok, stir fry the shallots, sliced carrot and the chopped bacon in a little oil until the shallots are brown then add these with the mushrooms to the slow cooker. Set the cooker for a further hour.

Beef is cubed. Marinating in a zip bag with wine. It will marinate in the fridge over night. Veggies cut and ready to go. Bacon diced. Skillet and Dutch oven on the range waiting for heat and goodness.

:woot:

I need a Martini. :cry: Out of vodka.

I'll have to make do with a glass of wine or 2.

:giggle: I told George to stay out of the kitchen. Even though I have not begun the cooking process he kept finding excuses to look over my shoulder.

:hyper: I can see insomnia on the horizon. When I get wound up I can't sleep.

No marinating involved (other than the beef in it's own blood.....

Ingredients

· 500 gm Beef cubed 30 mm
· 1 Small onion, chopped
· 1 tblsp Plain flour
· 250 ml Dry apple cider
· 1 tsp Pureed garlic
· ½ tsp Tomato puree
· ½ tsp Dried oregano
· 1 Bay leaf
· 120 gm Bacon, chopped up
· 60 gm Button mushrooms, halved if large
· 1 Carrot, small, sliced
· 200 gm shallots (halved if large)
· Olive oil
· Salt
· Freshly ground black pepper

Method

Heat a little of the olive oil in a wok. Brown the beef (in batches if necessary) and keep aside.

Brown the chopped onion in the same oil adding a little more if necessary.

Return the meat to the wok and add the flour stirring well to mix.

Transfer the beef, onions and accumulated liquid to a slow cooker.

Add the cider slowly whilst stirring continuously. Then add the garlic, tomato puree, oregano, bay leaf and seasoning, stir and set the slow cooker for 2 hours.

In a separate wok, stir fry the shallots, sliced carrot and the chopped bacon in a little oil until the shallots are brown then add these with the mushrooms to the slow cooker. Set the cooker for a further hour.

@Yorky. Thank you for posting the recipe. Could you copy and paste it as a new Recipe thread (otherwise it is not searchable)?

Two questions - did you not use any beef stock/stock cube? Did you marinate the beef in cider first?

This is the first time that I have participated in the “Cookalong Challenge” and I have put a lot of effort into it (effort of which I have very little) so I hope that y’all appreciate it.
@Yorky: You're always so detailed and helpful with your photographs when you post a recipe. It inspires me to do better.I am going to make the ratatouille, but this has me distracted like my cat with shiny objects. And, I still have beef brisket on ice in search of a worthy platform to follow up the best burgers ever made (45% sirloin, 35% chuck, 20% brisket).

I like the use of bacon...add some more savory to the savory! And, apple cider makes me think of apple cider vinegar, or possibly a hard cider (like Strongbow).

I like how we all make each other think more in the kitchen. It's like I am at work: I work with a lot of really smart people, and I don't wan't them to think I don't belong (even though I know I do).It naturally makes you up your game...at work or in the kitchen. Thank you, all of you.

Last edited:
I like how we all make each other think more in the kitchen. It's like I am at work: I work with a lot of really smart people, and I don't wan't them to think I don't belong (even though I know I do).It naturally makes you up your game...at work or in the kitchen. Thank you, all of you.

I couldn't agree more! When I joined the forum in April 2015, I had never taken a food photograph in my life - nor written down any recipes properly!

I have been dreading this post.

:oops:

I made my Boeuf Bourguignon yesterday.

:cry: :banghead: :cry:

FAIL

Evaluation:

In the excitement of my first Cookalong I got overly ambitious and forgot a basic principle of cooking: K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid.

I searched my cook books and scoured internet recipes thinking "This sound good. Oh I like that idea" You get my drift.

My dish did not taste BAD it just did not taste the way I wanted it to. Too many ingredients caused the flavors to become muddled. Not that wonderful brightness of flavors that you get when using herbs and spices with restraint.

:thumbsdown:

I seriously over cooked my Bourguignon. I always braise in the oven. The temperature is even and disturbed around the pot rather than just on the bottom. My old coil burner electric range does not proved the temperature control or the even heating that the oven does.

After 1 1/4 hours in the oven I went into to the kitchen to turn off the heat. The plan was to leave it the oven until George got home then put it on the range, add the pearl onions and mushroom, and finish cooking. Some how I got distracted and did not turn off the oven. :hyper:

George got home 1 1/2 hours later.

The meat had completely fallen apart and the carrots had nearly vanished. :cry: :cry: :cry:

FYI - I will NOT let this experience get me down. It is what I needed to get my focus back on basics.

I have a recipe in mind for the spice challenge and will curb my exuberance.

Ready to :cook:!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom